GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to remove BCM (or CECM) remove to add pins.

BucsiB

Passed Driver's Ed
HI!

I am new on forum and spend some time to search on the web and MK7 forums, but no success. :confused:

Is there any write-up how to remove the BCM or how to make this stuff touchable to disconnect a connector for adding extra pin into it?
I found it, I can see it with the CAN gateway and with the fuses on its back but thats all, didn't got closer...

Car is made end of 2013, left-hand drive EU version.

Once I get it out I would like to preparing additional wires for footwell light, wire for the missing 9th pin of auto headlight switch and so on... and to be able to DIY some planned modifications without removing the BCM again in the future.

Thanks in advance.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
There is this white piece of plastic that you have to remove in order to remove the plugs. It will break and it's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BucsiB

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks!

So no need to unscrew anything.
Just "brake" :) the white stuff.

Is that meaning that I don't need to remove the plastic trims there?
Will this BCM guy get of the way down from it's bracket?
This needed to do the work on it I guess...

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
That's his MO about anything.

Mk7CarbonSteel

Passed Driver's Ed
He wasn't necessarily talking about your electrical work. He is saying that if the car itself has an electrical problem that would be covered under warranty, it most likely wouldn't be after you break into the bcm. It would be a red flag for them if that white piece is broken.

But then again, if your car doesnt have a warranty then don't mind me lol

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
My point is just that almost everyone tries to get the best price when buying a new car, and pays x-number of dollars in the purchase price for the warranty, and many just throw it away. Of course, if the OP has over 60,000 miles or his car is over 5-years old it doesn't make any difference. VW can still deny claims for the drivetrain if you mess with the electrical system. Many of the functions are interrelated.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
So VW can deny claims for my engine because I installed foglights? Right.

BucsiB

Passed Driver's Ed
HI!

I did the installation, but without success.

After coding with OBD11 MIB is showing the option and the dimming capability, but lights are dark...

Any advice?

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
to confirm, you are talking about adding pins to the harness that PLUGS IN to the BCM not adding pins to the BCM itself correct?

Adding pins to the harness is not challenging at tall. Take the harness out of its plastic housing, add the wire with pin to the correct location, then reassemble.

The coding is different and often more challenging. Footwells have been hit or miss for many TSI guys. Mine happened to work and you can look at the coding in my thread for any help. I also plan on adding front fogs and I believe the coding is in my thread.

Good luck!

BucsiB

Passed Driver's Ed
Correct.

I thought I have to remove the whole bcm unit from its bracket.

It was easier to disconnect the connector get it away from BCM and do the pin job.

I tried different cofing and adaption ways, but nothing. I'll check you mods.

BucsiB

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok, once I switched to developing mode instead OBD in diagnostic modes selector in OBD11, lights came up...

Dimming via MIB works as well.

Only thing I noticed is the flickering of the cheap AliExpress LED modules.
I was playing with setting different type of 'lamp' but the one which looks the best is flickering a bit too.

Hiding the wires coming now, I did not finished it till everything works fine.