GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to choose the right ECU upgrade

Dents27

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Autobahn GTI
Don't do it - there is so much better out there
Why not? I'm only looking for a little boost in power, I don't plan on tracking or going mod crazy.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I'm not telling everyone anything but my view on the topic. Sorry if I offended you.
Not offended at all. Your wording didn't sound like you were voicing your opinion but rather saying people who view the car as calm/refined are wrong. You said "That's not what the GTI is all about," so that's how I took it. My mistake!

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Why not? I'm only looking for a little boost in power, I don't plan on tracking or going mod crazy.
Even then, it's still a significant boost in power! We're talking 80-90 hp and tq over stock and it holds a lot of that power boost throughout the rev range. That's not small. Looks like a really great powerband to me -- very linear.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
It’s archaic. Take advantage of EQT’s boost weather sale and grab their stage 1 file. You can resell cobb afterwards. With uni, you’re just stuck. I had their stage 1 and 2 files.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
It’s archaic. Take advantage of EQT’s boost weather sale and grab their stage 1 file. You can resell cobb afterwards. With uni, you’re just stuck. I had their stage 1 and 2 files.
Can you explain what's archaic about it? Edit: Also, the EQT tune looks like a different power curve than the Uni 1+...

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
He can't resell Cobb until he someday decides to go back to stock. Probably will need to reinstall the OEM tune to pass emissions also.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Can you explain what's archaic about it? Edit: Also, the EQT tune looks like a different power curve than the Uni 1+...
Super fuel sensitive, you get locked into one platform, they don't update their software or create new revisions, make a noticeable amount of power less, and for me the biggest difference was the DV releasing boost on part throttle; EQT does not, so if you lay your foot off the gas for a bit, the DV stays closed and when you re-engage the pedal you're back where you started - with uni you need to build boost all over again; and honestly, COBB opens the possibility to go further; we all say we won't but then this forum happens. This is a bad place man, a very bad place.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Super fuel sensitive, you get locked into one platform, they don't update their software or create new revisions, make a noticeable amount of power less, and for me the biggest difference was the DV releasing boost on part throttle; EQT does not, so if you lay your foot off the gas for a bit, the DV stays closed and when you re-engage the pedal you're back where you started - with uni you need to build boost all over again; and honestly, COBB opens the possibility to go further; we all say we won't but then this forum happens. This is a bad place man, a very bad place.
When you say fuel sensitive, you mean like it's really sensitive to octane and gas quality, causing timing pull?

Also, that is interesting about how the DV is used. How does EQT let off boost then?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
When you say fuel sensitive, you mean like it's really sensitive to octane and gas quality, causing timing pull?

Also, that is interesting about how the DV is used. How does EQT let off boost then?
If you close the throttle with the EQT tune the DV will release the boost also.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP

Thisnk of it this way - you're at 80% throttle and drop down to 60%, EQT holds boost, uni releases it.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Thisnk of it this way - you're at 80% throttle and drop down to 60%, EQT holds boost, uni releases it.
How does that work though? If you’re calling for less throttle, then less air is needed…. So where does it go if EQT isn’t releasing it?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
How does that work though? If you’re calling for less throttle, then less air is needed…. So where does it go if EQT isn’t releasing it?
Haha, it goes in your combustion chamber and out your exhaust.

A DV and blowoff valve is not for dumping the extra pressure when the throttle plate moves from fully open to partially open as that air and pressure adjust organically as the system operates and expels the air through the engine

- it’s releasing the pressure thats in your system between the compressor and the throttle when the throttle is suddenly closed and has no were to go but back to the compressor wheel.

There are still plenty cars running around without a dv or BOV at all

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
This doesn’t add up.

So @Daks is saying that on a Unitronic tune, if I go from 100% to 75% throttle, it complete dumps all the boost via the DV and so has to spool up again? That would basically be the same as traction control kicking in and cutting power every time you modulate the throttle. That sounds completely undrivable and I find it hard to believe that’s what happens.

Perhaps I’m just misunderstanding…