GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How is your DSG7 dry clutch holding up?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
1. Where did you see previous year's DSG's were unreliable? If you're talking about the Mechatronics unit, it's covered for 10 years/120K miles IIRC. I have the "recall" but never changed it, because it works fine. Best transmission I ever owned.

2. I never saw the memo where MK7 DSG's do not need their fluid and filter changed every 40,000 miles. Can someone post their factory maintenance schedule, if this is the case?

vwman

Go Kart Champion
1. Where did you see previous year's DSG's were unreliable? If you're talking about the Mechatronics unit, it's covered for 10 years/120K miles IIRC. I have the "recall" but never changed it, because it works fine. Best transmission I ever owned.

2. I never saw the memo where MK7 DSG's do not need their fluid and filter changed every 40,000 miles. Can someone post their factory maintenance schedule, if this is the case?

You may be confusing the dry 7 speed DSG box which doesn't need servicing unlike the 6 speed wet DSG box which does need fluid / filter change at 40k / or 4 years.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr

We don't get the 7-speed here. They use a 6 speed traditional auto in our base Golf.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You may be confusing the dry 7 speed DSG box which doesn't need servicing unlike the 6 speed wet DSG box which does need fluid / filter change at 40k / or 4 years.

So Euro-spec GTI's get a 7-speed dry clutch DSG that needs no maintenance?

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
So Euro-spec GTI's get a 7-speed dry clutch DSG that needs no maintenance?

They're talking about the Golf not GTI. We haven't got the 7-speed dry clutch here. The 1.8T gets a torque converter. A lot less cost and hassle for American buyers

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
They're talking about the Golf not GTI. We haven't got the 7-speed dry clutch here. The 1.8T gets a torque converter. A lot less cost and hassle for American buyers

I see. Thanks. Makes you wonder why we're always the last to get the most recent improvements. Look at all of the tech features the Euro-spec VW's have available. Only the Audi's here get them.

bostonaudi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
1995 BMW M3
I see. Thanks. Makes you wonder why we're always the last to get the most recent improvements. Look at all of the tech features the Euro-spec VW's have available. Only the Audi's here get them.

A USA VW with all the cool Euro stuff would be very expensive, well into Audi pricing. I would love to see GTD Golfs come here with DCC and 4mo, I don't think VW sees a market for $40k Golfs though.

Remember the W8 Passat, which was a disaster, from every perspective. If VW hadn't brought it here everyone would have complained. They did, and no one wanted a $42k Passat. VW carves out a niche here in the States by keeping cars affordable and reasonably well equipped.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
A USA VW with all the cool Euro stuff would be very expensive, well into Audi pricing. I would love to see GTD Golfs come here with DCC and 4mo, I don't think VW sees a market for $40k Golfs though.

Remember the W8 Passat, which was a disaster, from every perspective. If VW hadn't brought it here everyone would have complained. They did, and no one wanted a $42k Passat. VW carves out a niche here in the States by keeping cars affordable and reasonably well equipped.

Yep. Another issue is we get really cheap VWs and pretty darn cheap Audis compared to other countries. So we pay for Audis what other countries pay for VWs. Then we complain our VWs aren't as good. Odd.

Irishace

Ready to race!
Loving my DSG, its a beast even with Stage 2 torque and power. Sucker just shifts tighter than an drum all day long.

Abbott Martin

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI Performance 2dr
Loving my DSG, its a beast even with Stage 2 torque and power. Sucker just shifts tighter than an drum all day long.

Love mine too. But we, just to clarify for topic's sake, don't have the transmission he's asking about....it is the dry clutch known for more issues and was subject to a recall.

Irishace

Ready to race!
Love mine too. But we, just to clarify for topic's sake, don't have the transmission he's asking about....it is the dry clutch known for more issues and was subject to a recall.

Yes, I am just making a general statement cause I am a fanboy of the Dsg.

Feralys

Ready to race!
Hey guys. I have the 6speed dsg on my gti and I hear and sometimes feel a thud that is very audible inside the car when the car comes to a complete stop. (City driving) anyone know of this is normal?

VWTIL

Well....i got 1.4TSI DSG7 42K Km,and today i got problem with the DSG,when i put it in D/S/manual it stuck on 2nd gear no matter what.
Soon i'll take my car to the dealer i'll updae you.