GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How do you feel engine replacement effects resale value?

Internexus

Ready to race!
I'm just looking for some opinions here, have a 2015 GTI with ~44k on the clock. I noticed serious oil consumption issues with the vehicle and repeatedly took it to the dealership and after performing a tear down of the motor they discovered one of the piston rings was broken. This ring apparently scratched up the cylinder walls and they decided to replace the motor.

So the car has a factory replacement from a VW dealership thrown into a 44k mile chassis that still has the factory powertrain warranty. Do you view the vehicle as similar value to another GTI w/ the same mileage or slightly higher due to having 0 miles on the engine?

To be clear this was all due to a faulty piston ring and not due to aggressive driving/racing for 44k miles. The car has never been to the track and still has factory tires so clearly they haven't been roasted off from some maniac behind the wheel.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
difficult sale but I would pay more for it (you need proof)

I am in a similar spot but to me it's simpler. 12+ YO Tacoma with a brand new frame....I would want one with it but I can see it being signs of problem

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
For that reason I wouldn't mind, same as mine had the DSG box replaced due to a fault. If it was because it had a hard life I would be concerned. However proving it failed for a certain reason would be hard.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
perhaps you should link the other thread you have on this subject - but an engine replaced under factory warranty shouldn't affect your resale value. Worst it will do is turn off a few potential buyers if they learn it's history.

Internexus

Ready to race!
perhaps you should link the other thread you have on this subject - but an engine replaced under factory warranty shouldn't affect your resale value. Worst it will do is turn off a few potential buyers if they learn it's history.

Sure, if you're interested in a casual read.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34698

Right. I don't think it makes a difference unless it is a classic car where you need matching numbers.

Yeah, I agree the value isn't affected in a numbers matching sort of sense. I'm looking at it more of the motor is the part that matters most in a vehicle so I'm trying to decide if there is any discernible value difference when that item is brand new compared to having the same 44k the chassis does.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
OP just tell the dealership to NOT enter the engine swap in carfax, as you're worried about resale and dimished value. Speak to the service manager. They'll do it. They can just enter something like 'check engine' There's no vin numbers on the engine now anyway. You've got yourself a new EA888, which is great if you intend to keep the car. Don't bother saying anything when you come to sell the car.. Its not as if you're ripping anyone off. Actually quietly sticking a decent bonus in there for them. But people not in the know, may be turned away, which is wrong of them. but hey its the way some people are. They may think prev owner raced it to oblivion.. Who knows, so personally i think you're better keeping quiet. The less known the better.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
If the body has 50K+ and an engine with <10K, I would be willing to pay a higher price for the car, provided the documentation of the new engine came from VW and was installed at somewhere I could read reviews and see if they are a decent shop.

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
For me personally, id expect to spend at least $1k USD less on that car, all else being equal.

Fundamentally, if the engine was replaced correctly, it should be no different than factory, and in fact you get a newer engine, which is a plus. The big question and problem is, did the dealer tech do a good job? Probably not as good as an assembly line job. Hence the problem. I am not sure how to put exact numbers to it.

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
OP just tell the dealership to NOT enter the engine swap in carfax, as you're worried about resale and dimished value. Speak to the service manager. They'll do it. They can just enter something like 'check engine' There's no vin numbers on the engine now anyway. You've got yourself a new EA888, which is great if you intend to keep the car. Don't bother saying anything when you come to sell the car.. Its not as if you're ripping anyone off. Actually quietly sticking a decent bonus in there for them. But people not in the know, may be turned away, which is wrong of them. but hey its the way some people are. They may think prev owner raced it to oblivion.. Who knows, so personally i think you're better keeping quiet. The less known the better.

Interesting info. Personally, id want to know, and think this is deceptive against a potential buyer.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
For me it's a wash.

I'd pay more for the new engine, but less because the car had been disassembled and reassembled and I don't trust 90% of techs.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Used engine put in by an indie shop.. I would look negatively upon it.

New crate engine put in by a dealer would be a plus in my book.