GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Holy shit...leasing an Evo X GSR for $259/month

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Question - how much does it really matter what the bias is? I've never owned an AWD vehicle, but if the power is redirected as slippage occurs, then wouldn't it not make much of a difference? For example, if cruising bias or whatever is 70%/30% but it can transmit 100% to either end, wouldn't it end up being 0%/100% if the front wheels start to spin during acceleration from a dig? And it'd be the same result if the bias was set to 30%/70%? Or is the main point that having it more RWD biased to begin with will prevent the slippage from happening in the first place?

It's slow to react. By the time the front wheels start to spin it's too late and you're already understeering.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

jmdeis11

Ready to race!
went for a test drive the other day. drove a 2013 MR though, bc they didnt have any gsr's in stock. thoughts -
- interior quality was acceptable. there were some pieces that seemed cheap and poorly put together for a 40k car, but overall not a deal-breaker. i would not be able to deal with the barren wasteland of a dash with the base 2013 stereo, but the nav unit (which i thought was awesome) filled in the center console nicely and really changed the look of the interior.
- steering wheel is disappointing compared to the gti
- seats and steering wheel position were fine. the recaros held nicely but seemed less comfortable than my GTI cloth seats or the recaros on the focus ST i drove last week.
- noise and ride quality with the stiff suspension - my biggest concerns, and neither bothered me.
- where's the torque? the turbo lag was disappointing. something that i'm sure only gets worse if you tune it. it just didnt feel as fast as i expected. the power band in my stage 1 gti seemed much more usable. maybe this is partially remedied in the manual GSR version??
- dual-clutch transmission - impressive. ive driven a few cars with paddle shifters and was always disappointed (eg 335i, brz). but the dual clutch in the evo actually held the gears you put it in, instead of overriding you constantly. i've always considered myself a manual forever person, but this showed me that dual clutch can be fun if done properly. some of the shifts were rough, but i'm fine with that. (i've never driven a dsg gti.)
- handling. wow. the reason one should get this car. just amazing. with some suspension mods, can the gti get anywhere near this? when i got back in the gti, the body roll was disappointing.

xytbyk

Go Kart Champion
went for a test drive the other day. drove a 2013 MR though, bc they didnt have any gsr's in stock. thoughts -
- interior quality was acceptable. there were some pieces that seemed cheap and poorly put together for a 40k car, but overall not a deal-breaker. i would not be able to deal with the barren wasteland of a dash with the base 2013 stereo, but the nav unit (which i thought was awesome) filled in the center console nicely and really changed the look of the interior.
- steering wheel is disappointing compared to the gti
- seats and steering wheel position were fine. the recaros held nicely but seemed less comfortable than my GTI cloth seats or the recaros on the focus ST i drove last week.
- noise and ride quality with the stiff suspension - my biggest concerns, and neither bothered me.
- where's the torque? the turbo lag was disappointing. something that i'm sure only gets worse if you tune it. it just didnt feel as fast as i expected. the power band in my stage 1 gti seemed much more usable. maybe this is partially remedied in the manual GSR version??
- dual-clutch transmission - impressive. ive driven a few cars with paddle shifters and was always disappointed (eg 335i, brz). but the dual clutch in the evo actually held the gears you put it in, instead of overriding you constantly. i've always considered myself a manual forever person, but this showed me that dual clutch can be fun if done properly. some of the shifts were rough, but i'm fine with that. (i've never driven a dsg gti.)
- handling. wow. the reason one should get this car. just amazing. with some suspension mods, can the gti get anywhere near this? when i got back in the gti, the body roll was disappointing.

Great review. I've had my MR for 9 months now, and I agree on almost all counts. I prefer my Evo's cloth seat to my GTI's, but they're not for everybody. I didn't like the leather seats, but I generally don't like leather seats. My TDI has a better steering wheel than my Evo, which was a bummer at first, but I don't really care now. The GSR's suspension rides stiffer than the MR's.

The SST transmission shifts kind of hard until it's warm, and it won't ever be super smooth. It actually responds really well to tuning though, and as long as you go for a good dyno tune or an e-tune from somebody that really knows about the transmission, the lag issues with the stock maps and stock turbo basically disappear. If you're in the southeastern part of NY, Dino at Speed Circuit in Roxbury, NJ is an Evo X guru.