GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HJS downpipe anyone?

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
A question to every forum member owning a GTI. HJS has released a downpipe some time ago. Did anyone try it? It's a 3" and is ECE approved. At €1030 it is expensive but HJS is a reputable company which manufactures the best catalytic converters in the world. My question though is if it can support a stage 2 tune (when we with the "bad" turbos have some information on what to do with them except of putting them in the garbage bin). They also claim that there are gains of 12 KW and 20NM and it's plug and play.

A question to every forum member owning a GTI. HJS has released a downpipe some time ago. Did anyone try it? It's a 3" and is ECE approved. At €1030 it is expensive but HJS is a reputable company which manufactures the best catalytic converters in the world. My question though is if it can support a stage 2 tune (when we with the "bad" turbos have some information on what to do with them except of putting them in the garbage bin). They also claim that there are gains of 12 KW and 20NM and it's plug and play.

AWE has always used HJS catalytic converters, so it should no doubt flow well enough for a proper stage 2 tune.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Geomet, did you go for the HJS? Do have any pics?

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
thanks for the hint. found two:

https://www.turboperformance-shop.d...7-gti-230-ps-70-mm-mit-ece-zulassung-90951110

https://www.turboperformance-shop.d...7-gti-220-ps-76-mm-mit-ece-zulassung-90951115

ECE approved Euro 6

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
They should fit both GTI versions nicely, since there's no physical difference
at all between them. The 220 PS is just a software downgrade of the 230 PS.
When I got it right HJS do offer both a 70 mm and a 76 mm version of their DP.

Ursus americanus

Ready to race!
The second is for the 220hp version (non-PP) and the first for the PP (230hp). I can't understand which is the difference between them though.

It probably has to do with getting ECE approval. The 220hp and 230hp tunes likely have slightly different emissions signatures as far as they are concerned.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
It probably has to do with getting ECE approval. The 220hp and 230hp tunes likely have slightly different emissions signatures as far as they are concerned.

I doubt this is why they have two different models. More than likely the difference in the two pipes is the bends that allow extra clearance for the VAQ diff found in the 230hp model.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
I don't think so. Lots of DPs with ECE approval legal a variety of different engine variants do exist.

But there's another point coming into my mind: The PP GTI's VAQ diff does require some physical
space, just like the angle drive of the 4motion R. And we all do know all the Rs needed a specially
shaped DP due to that. Perhaps same on the PP GTI? The VAQ diff sits right beneath the cat. :confused:

Just an idea. Yes, I think HJS could also have made the DP to fit both standard GTI and PP GTI, but
if they do two DPs they most certainly do it for a reason. ;)

Ursus americanus

Ready to race!
I doubt this is why they have two different models. More than likely the difference in the two pipes is the bends that allow extra clearance for the VAQ diff found in the 230hp model.

....But there's another point coming into my mind: The PP GTI's VAQ diff does require some physical space, just like the angle drive of the 4motion R. And we all do know all the Rs needed a specially shaped DP due to that. Perhaps same on the PP GTI? The VAQ diff sits right beneath the cat. :confused:

That was actually my first intinct... then i over thought it. But now i wonder if any of the current north american-made downpipes will have fitment issues on PP cars. Unless AWE and the like somehow got PP gtis before everyone else.....:confused: