GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

His and Her's wagon's

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Don't underestimate how amazing these are with the IS38 (or 20). A FBO IS38 is an amazing daily driver. Add an oil cooler for the track use for sure if you do it when it's really hot - I've only tracked mine during cooler weather and have no issues with oil temps etc.
Oh I'm most certainly not underestimating how good it would be, it's more about the fact that the better I get, I'm going to start pushing harder and closer to the limits, and I'd prefer not to crash my daily driver should something happen.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Oh I'm most certainly not underestimating how good it would be, it's more about the fact that the better I get, I'm going to start pushing harder and closer to the limits, and I'd prefer not to crash my daily driver should something happen.
Understood - it's not that fast..hahahahaha. That's what track insurance is for! I love how it powers out of turns.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Well here's a couple photos from Laguna, because why the hell not!

It's been a few days and I've been trying to think about how the car performed, and how I might be able to improve both myself, and the car before next outing on 2/21.

The first thing that came to mind was adjusting some stability control / traction control settings via OBDEleven, on my best lap (1:55.33) the car got a little loose coming into turn 3, and stability control cut power and couldn't give it back fully till I let off completely then floored it again, I think this may have cost me up to a second.

Tire pressures are another area where there may be room to tweak things and make things better. I wasn't 100% sure where I needed to be, I did check them at the track and I was at around 33psi or so hot. While I didn't see much signs of wear on the sidewalls, in the photo below on the corkscrew, it sure looks like the left front is compressed a bit. I'd love some guidance on that if anyone has some, the tires are 255/40r17 Hankook R-S4's, if that helps.

I've got adjustable swaybar end links for both the front and the rear, that I haven't had the time to install, considering having a shop nearby with scales etc install them along with corner balancing the car, though I'm not sure how much that might be worth actually doing, or if it's a waste..

Next area for improvement is brakes.. I'd originally gotten Ferodo DS2500's for front and rear thinking those would do me well, however after this last time out, I've already gotten to the point that I'm overheating the compound on the fronts, They've left some pretty good deposits on the front rotors, and don't seem to be able to get through a full lap of pushing hard, braking late etc without feeling some fade. I was originally planning on just trying to nurse them along a bit longer, however my boss (wife..) told me to just go ahead and keep em as street pads, and get something better for when I'm at the track so that brakes aren't a concern. With the APR kit, there's actually not quite as many options as I hoped, APR themselves have their advanced track day pads, while they do say the heat range they're good for, they don't give any sort of info on the coefficient of friction or anything, so it's hard to compare them to other options. Other than the DS2500, DS3000's and DS3.12 are available in the same shape from Ferodo, though it seems the DS3.12's are special order only, with a 6 set minimum, so I don't think I'll be going that route.. So far the best option I'm finding looks like maybe the Pagid RSL1, still need to make up my mind there.

_S2A7438.JPEG

_S2A4878.JPEG

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I just ordered their advanced track day pads. I was running their middle compound and it worked great but just wore quickly so not ideal vs. using dedicated track pads and then just using the others/the street ones I have for daily duty. I'm have some info on other pad options if you are interested/cars that take them.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
I just ordered their advanced track day pads. I was running their middle compound and it worked great but just wore quickly so not ideal vs. using dedicated track pads and then just using the others/the street ones I have for daily duty. I'm have some info on other pad options if you are interested/cars that take them.
I'm all ears! I'll shoot you a PM

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
I plan on installing my 034 Front sway bar this spring to go with my 034 rear. Did you settle on 'soft' setting on the front and 'stiff' on the rear? I have R springs but I hope your setup can provide me with a starting point. Hoping it helps with my body roll in Autocross.

Also you should go IS38 :)

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
I plan on installing my 034 Front sway bar this spring to go with my 034 rear. Did you settle on 'soft' setting on the front and 'stiff' on the rear? I have R springs but I hope your setup can provide me with a starting point. Hoping it helps with my body roll in Autocross.

Also you should go IS38 :)
Currently, I've got it in the softer setting, changed it between sessions last time I was at Laguna and it was a huge help.

Ha, I don't see myself going all the way to a IS38, but I can see doing a IS20 when I have the funds to do a clutch, intercooler and oil cooler all at the same time. That plan would probably be scrapped if we end up being able to buy a house where I can have 2 cars, at that point the wagon will stay the way it is now most likely, and funds would go towards a dedicated track car with a cage.

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Well, I'm realizing with our move to the Santa Cruz area and with what we'll be able to afford to buy house wise, it's unlikely I'll have room for a track car, let alone the money any time soon.. Slowly contemplating swapping to a IS20 turbo and trying to think about the costs involved.

Seems like a used turbo is around $300-$400 depending on miles

Currently I have the stock clutch still, it's help up fine for 52k miles so far, I have no interest in dumping the clutch, mostly just daily driving and some track work, think it will hold up for a bit with the IS20? Or should I assume I'm going to need to spend the money on the clutch and having it installed.

More power means more heat, to keep it happy on track, Part of me thinks a oil cooler is a good idea, especially with how hot it can be here in CA.. with the stock turbo and the APR stage 1 tune, highest I've seen is 252 degrees on a 65 degree day at Laguna, I could see it being very frustrating to have to back off for awhile when it gets hot..

I'm pretty much assuming a intercooler is needed as well..

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Well, I'm realizing with our move to the Santa Cruz area and with what we'll be able to afford to buy house wise, it's unlikely I'll have room for a track car, let alone the money any time soon.. Slowly contemplating swapping to a IS20 turbo and trying to think about the costs involved.

Seems like a used turbo is around $300-$400 depending on miles

Currently I have the stock clutch still, it's help up fine for 52k miles so far, I have no interest in dumping the clutch, mostly just daily driving and some track work, think it will hold up for a bit with the IS20? Or should I assume I'm going to need to spend the money on the clutch and having it installed.

More power means more heat, to keep it happy on track, Part of me thinks a oil cooler is a good idea, especially with how hot it can be here in CA.. with the stock turbo and the APR stage 1 tune, highest I've seen is 252 degrees on a 65 degree day at Laguna, I could see it being very frustrating to have to back off for awhile when it gets hot..

I'm pretty much assuming a intercooler is needed as well..
My used IS20 was $350 with low miles/current revision.

Stock clutch with a tuned IS20 is going to have issues according to many that have done it but as usual, you can always drive it and see how bad/if it's bad at all.

The heat issues are unlikely to be an issue and should be similar to what a stage 1 GTI sees. Even the IC really isn't a necessary add-on but certainly helps. Our IC is the same as a GTI and most folks aren't doing IC upgrades on a stage 1 GTI. I didn't have one when I had the IS20 and never saw any issues but wasn't tracking it.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Heat will definitely be an issue. At 75, I was hitting 280. Oil cooler might be needed

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Heat will definitely be an issue. At 75, I was hitting 280. Oil cooler might be needed
Yeah, I’ve kinda been thinking it isn’t the worst idea to consider it, plus if I’ve got the bumper off to do an intercooler “while you’re in there”.
I tend to go the course of going with what might start off as overkill, but I’ll likely get to the point it’s needed. If I’m paying $200+ for a track day I want to be able to push hard for a full 20min session without issue.
Question becomes which, seems it’s the Bartek or Raceline.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Yeah, I’ve kinda been thinking it isn’t the worst idea to consider it, plus if I’ve got the bumper off to do an intercooler “while you’re in there”.
I tend to go the course of going with what might start off as overkill, but I’ll likely get to the point it’s needed. If I’m paying $200+ for a track day I want to be able to push hard for a full 20min session without issue.
Question becomes which, seems it’s the Bartek or Raceline.
When it comes time, I'm going Bartek

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
Well I did a track day at Laguna on Monday, boy it was fun, here's all my rambling thoughts..

First off, previous time out I did a best of 1:55.33, this time my goal was get down to 1:53. Going into Monday the only 2 updates was changing from the APR Stage 1 tune for 87 octane to 91, and ditching the Ferodo DS2500 front pads to Hawk DTC-60's. First session of the day it was immediately clear that the brakes pads were going to be a big help, no overheating the compound at all, they just worked no matter what! During the first session I hit my goal for the day with a 1:52.17! After coming back in I bled off some air pressure as they were super high after getting hot first session and that's about it. Our second session was cut very short from a S2000 spinning off at turn 5 and into the wall, luckily driver and passenger were fine, and what looked to only be body damage to the car. For the rest of the day I was experimenting with lines and while I got a few more laps under 1:53, no better than the first session. As I got to grid for the last session, the organizers told us we would get a bonus session at the end of the day as we lost most of our second session due to the S2000 crash. I almost decided not to do that last 5th session, and almost decided against the 6th bonus session, but boy am I sure glad I did! As I started my first flying lap I immediately felt really dialed in, and with still cool tires my first lap was a just under 1:54, followed by 2 1:51.34's in a row! The next few laps I had traffic, till finally on the second to last lap everything clicked really well and I did a 1:50.55, which kinda surprised me, I was not expecting to improve this much that day!

See that 1:50.55 lap below.. As well as too much speed through turn 6 in the video after..

When I started down this track day path, my stretch goal was matching the 1:50.11 Randy Pobst did in a GTI w/Performance Pack and a DSG at Laguna, and while I certainly hope I don't like a overconfident ass, I actually feel pretty confident I can do it, and maybe even get into the 1:49's! As it stands now, I think I still have some time to gain in the turns 3 through 6. I think my line and speed through 3 could be improved, which setups up better for 4, I think my line through 4 is decent, but might be able to hold a bit more speed, same goes for turn 5. Turn 6 is a trippy one! This time out I started with turn in, then back to power before the dip and the apex, definitely helped, but my entry and speed through the turn could use work. That second video getting loose through turn 6, I unfortunately don't know how fast I was going as I went into the pits that lap and hit the "end session" button on the Garmin Catalyst, and data overlay doesn't save on your in lap. based on other laps and watching the video, At the point I lift off at about the 2 board, I usually am hitting about 86mph, then turn in around the 1 board, then back to gas. I think on that lap off track excursion, I didn't really lift at all and was probably low 80's at the apex. On a different lap earlier in the day, I turned in at 82mph, and held 78mph through the corner and used all of the run out to stay on track, whereas on my 1:50.55 lap, I was at 79mph at turn in and down to 72mph at the apex. I think after going off in the same corner I was being a little timid and if I can hold a bit more speed through there, that should help.

Setup wise, I think I've got a couple things I can try. When I was at Laguna in January, I had a slide in turn 3, which led me to think I needed to dial out some oversteer, which I attempted to do with tire pressure. This time out I think I've realized the slide in turn 3 was mostly a combo of a bad line, and too much speed for said line. I think next time I'm going to go from a touch more pressure in the front than the rear, to a touch more in the rear than the front, to see if that helps to get the car to rotate more. Before this time out, I'd gotten a OBD Eleven, and did some of their adaptations and now can actually turn stability off, though after this time out, it seems it's still interfering, and would pull power after the tiniest bit of a slide, which is super frustrating.. I don't know if I need to see about any long coding that will truly defeat it, or if I just have to resort to pulling an ABS fuse..

In case anyone was curious, this is what the RS4's look like after 3 track days and around 2000 miles of street driving

IMG_3273.jpg

And how about a few photos on track..

92022823-GBME0916.JPG

92022822-GBME9266.JPG

92022824-GBME2371.JPG

Last edited:

ckuhns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf Sportwagen
I suppose I should also say.. It's looking unlikely that I'll have space for a dedicated track car the next few years, so I'll have to keep using the wagon most likely.. Because who doesn't like the idea of more power, I did buy a used IS20 yesterday, though I'm not going to install it till I can do a intercooler, oil cooler, Clutch, and possibly a front bumper from a Golf R (better air flow for cooling!) all at the same time. That said, I want to get to the point that I'm gotten all I can get with the stock turbo and APR tune, I think a pro driver could probably get it down to 1:47 maybe? I think my goal is into the 1:49's and go from there.

RochanaG

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI 6MT
Laguna was so much fun. You were crazy fast out there! Hoping to have sticky tires and keep up with you next time!