GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hill Assist

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Thanks for that recommendation. Assuming I can teach myself to use it effectively, an OBDeleven might pay for itself in diagnosis alone.
Considering how much the average enthusiast spends on mods the OBDeleven is practically free. Hell if you have a few friends with VWs split the cost and ownership.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Agreed, mine is frequently borrowed. You also don't need points for anything since it's not really worth using the apps, just use the direct coding. Just always make a backup of the stock settings. Remember that...

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Agreed, mine is frequently borrowed. You also don't need points for anything since it's not really worth using the apps, just use the direct coding. Just always make a backup of the stock settings. Remember that...
Yup, a backup is key. Lots of posts around here explaining a bunch of stuff you can do. I keep track of all my tweaks in my thread. I'll link so you can see some of the things. I agree with @bentin in that you don't need the credits for apps. I prefer to code it myself so I know the actual things I'm changing.

Project Red XIII: avenali312's OEM+ GTI | GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum

back2brand

Car(s)
2019 GTI S
You can completely disable it FYI, through the long coding of the brake module. It’s byte 25, bits 0 and 1. Both of these bits should be cleared to disable it. Then you can roll back all you want 🙂
Thanks again to 2018GTI for the information about how to turn off hill assist entirely. Yesterday I tried out my new OBDeleven and cleared to two bits noted. It's a genuine pleasure to finally drive the car without the annoying hill assist! I also turned off the silly "soundaktor" while I was at it. Thanks again.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I gotta ask...what about it is annoying?

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
as a long time MT driver, i'll admit the hill assist annoyed me at first, but I grew to love it. I just picked up a '22 Tacoma OR with 6MT and it doesn't have hill assist... I can't say that I wish it did... but the hill assist is one of those features that I don't mind as much as I used to. Rolling back in the Tacoma on a steep hill the first time driving it was a 'whoa' moment, lol.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
as a long time MT driver, i'll admit the hill assist annoyed me at first, but I grew to love it. I just picked up a '22 Tacoma OR with 6MT and it doesn't have hill assist... I can't say that I wish it did... but the hill assist is one of those features that I don't mind as much as I used to. Rolling back in the Tacoma on a steep hill the first time driving it was a 'whoa' moment, lol.
That's what I mean, I've had plenty of manuals and I can't imagine that this would bother me if I had one in my GSW. Even with the DSG it's nice to let off the brake leaving my neighborhood and have it "sit" there so I can be ready to go as it's a terrible pull out into high-speed traffic. My '89 Subaru (5spd) had hill hold and it was great for starting on hills vs. using the hand brake.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
When I was in high school I drove a "spicy orange" Mazdaspeed Protege, manual, fun car! My friend drove a red Sentra SE-R, automatic. He would always put in neutral at red lights with any type of grade so that he could roll backwards and look like he was driving a manual. Maybe some of the people here want everyone to know they row their own gears :LOL:.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
When I was in high school I drove a "spicy orange" Mazdaspeed Protege, manual, fun car! My friend drove a red Sentra SE-R, automatic. He would always put in neutral at red lights with any type of grade so that he could roll backwards and look like he was driving a manual. Maybe some of the people here want everyone to know they row their own gears :LOL:.
I had a friend in highschool with an automatic. I would knock it into neutral at every light and she'd rev it and look like an idiot every time. She never learned to just check that I hadn't done it. She still thanks me for making her tough.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I had a kid doing that a light one night...letting it roll back then reving slightly to move it up...back and forth back and forth look at me I have a stick back and forth. My 11 year old was with me. Light turned green and I stomped it. Son yelled out the window "spinin' ain' winin'"... so funny.

Last edited:

back2brand

Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I gotta ask...what about it is annoying?
As I understand it, when VW originally introduced this "feature", letting out the clutch would trigger the brakes to release. If that were still the case hill assist would not be particularly annoying. However, some genius decided to make the brake release time-based. You literally have to sit and wait until the car decides that you have been sufficiently subservient to merit its permission to proceed. If you dare to try to proceed before the car has granted its permission the car will stall. That converts an event that - for me at least - requires no conscious thought into a pain in the ass. Some have also argued that it's propensity to stall the car in traffic is a potential safety issue, and I don't disagree with that.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
As I understand it, when VW originally introduced this "feature", letting out the clutch would trigger the brakes to release. If that were still the case hill assist would not be particularly annoying. However, some genius decided to make the brake release time-based. You literally have to sit and wait until the car decides that you have been sufficiently subservient to merit its permission to proceed. If you dare to try to proceed before the car has granted its permission the car will stall. That converts an event that - for me at least - requires no conscious thought into a pain in the ass. Some have also argued that it's propensity to stall the car in traffic is a potential safety issue, and I don't disagree with that.
Interesting. On the DSG when you let off your foot from the brake the car will not roll back OR engage the clutches until you push the gas. It is timed and at some point it will go on it's own.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
I'm not even sure what to make of this except for this is simply not true...

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, never stalled the car because of hill assist. Same for my previous Mazda that had it, and for that matter, my Mk7. The Mazda didn't have the two second limit, it would hold it indefinitely, which was nice in a few situations.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Wouldn't the hill assist let off as the clutch is released?