GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP NEED ADVICE!! APR down pipe connection to turbo came loose....clamp gone

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
UPDATE....PROBLEM SOLVED...DONT BOTHER READING

1/16 inch gap between where downpipe meets turbo. A rattle/buzzing sound developed over the past couple days during certain rpms. Not super loud but was annoying.

Got on the gas pretty good today and I heard something that sounded like the exhaust came apart somewhere.

Well it did. Right where the downpipe meets the turbo.

Car ran and drove but sounded like a tractor and I had power loss/boost loss

Drove it to a muffler shop that was just down the road and they put it up on the rack. When i looked under the car I couldn't see any exhaust issues until I looked under the turbo where I saw a thin metal gasket laying on top of downpipe

Lowered car and found that the downpipe had separated from the turbo. I'm guessing that's where that gasket went. And I'm guessing that's what the rattling/buzzing sound I've been hearing the past couple days. There was no band clamp anywhere.

I had a shop put the downpipe on. A local shop (not open today) but all they work on is VW/Audi

When I gave them the downpipe to put on...I don't remember having that clamp. So it's possible it was never put on

I did have my car tuned a week or so ago at another shop and that is where I think I am going to have it towed

There are no CEL's or anything on the dash but I just don't feel safe driving it like that. I also don't know if i could find a clamp at any "Autozone" type store that I could use until I can get the right APR clamp??

Could I find a clamp that would work temporarily??

Do you think I damaged my car (engine/turbo)?

Like I said....it runs and drives....No lights on on the dash....just sounds like a tractor

Pics coming

https://www.flickr.com/gp/144458803@N06/74zTx1

https://www.flickr.com/gp/144458803@N06/x57320

Last edited:

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
Can't find one ...just struck out at Autozone

Hitting all the auto parts stores before I have it towed

Just want to get it home since it is still at muffler shop parking lot.

I only live 2 miles away from there but afraid to drive it like that

Anyway to tell if I did damage to the engine or turbo so far? If I started it up and revved it just a little should I be able to hear/not hear something that is good or bad? Or is it even safe to start it up and/or light rev it at all

I'm afraid because I did drive it like that for a mile

Last edited:

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
You can/could overnight one from amazon. You would need a gasket also.

Isn't the metal ring I have a link to a pic in my first post....isn't that the gasket that goes in between? Or do I need a new gasket

If so...can you recommend what type gasket to get

I just drove to an auto parts store over an hour away and got a V-band clamp

Gonna give it a shot to get it on

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
Gasket looked ok so I put it back on

But when I put the new vband clamp on......the gasket fell off and fell into the abyss

Probably lying on the plastic pan underneath. Or laying on that foil heat shield where I found it the first time

After trying and trying to find the gasket.....I gave up

Went to nearest auto parts store to get a new gasket. They didn't have anything I could use

So.....by this time ....all muffler shops/tire shops in town were closed. And there was no way for me to get under the car to see if i could find it

By this time....I just wanted to get the car home and see if it would run fine or not. So I went ahead and put the new vband clamp on without using any gasket

Car seemed to be running normal with maybe a very slight hiss/leak right at the band clamp

Take car home...babying it for the first mile....then got on it pretty good the last mile. Didn't have any issues. But there wasstill that mysterious rattle/buzzing sound comming from under the car. Like metal on metal. Very slight and like I said in beginning of first post....not constant....but sporadic. With the car running fine...I'm thinking rattle could now be anything.....loose fuel line....wastegate...etc. I'm just glad car is running ok

Get it home....put the front end on some ramps. Crawl underneath with a flashlight to once again try to find that fucking gasket.

Pissed that I can't find it....I start banging on the plastic pan under the engine....trying to see if i can hear anything jingling around on top of the pan

I hear something. But it sounds WAY bigger than that gasket. Can't see it...but I hear it. Now I'm thinking...." Did I drop a ratchet while putting the new vband on?"

I keep tapping under the pan until I move the mystery object over enough where I can grab it. Oh, man..

Can you guess what I found hahahaha????

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
TLDR;

Downpipe installed incorrectly, hilarity ensues.

OP should get refunded labor from the shop.

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
TLDR;

Downpipe installed incorrectly, hilarity ensues.

OP should get refunded labor from the shop.

Yeah...I told you not to read

Hilarity ensues

For you guys I'm sure

But when I was pushing car hard on a 95 degree humid day and that downpipe popped apart from the turbo......

It sounded BAD....car sounded like a chainsaw on steroids

I knew immediately it was exhaust related but I was honesty scared because the sound had me worried about my turbo and/or engine

And to be perfectly honest....I bought the downpipe used

The guy I got it from TOLD me to check that clamp after the first few heat cycles because that clamp came loose for him too

I didn't check it in time obviously

So.....it was my fault even though the clamp may have had issues staying tight

Live and learn

Pay to play

I could live if the turbo goes.....would give me an excuse to go is38 or something even better/more reliable TTE

But if the engine or DSG goes in this car??

Game over

I'm jumping off the nearest bridge

Last edited:

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
My downpipe clamp has not come loose through the 3 downpipes I've had. I'm not sure how its possible if you install it right.

Literally the thing needs to be completely closed, once its a completely closed circle you have it tight enough.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Obviously when someone says don't read... you gotta read.