GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

HELP! How to disable alarm whilst on ferry

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Oops! The VW way is logical - one plip = most convenience + max security!

mrober_uk

Passed Driver's Ed
don't understand why you need an option for 'most secure' and 'less secure' !! that is not logical!!! From the plipper it should always be 'most secure' IMHO... if you want override it then use the key....

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Its because you may wish to lock the car with people inside and still allow egress from the car for safety reasons...

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Not with you? Why lock it with a key when two presses of the remote button has the same effect (on the very odd occasion that you might not want deadlocks engaged)?

Point being that with deadlocks engaged the doors cannot be opened from the inside...

mrober_uk

Passed Driver's Ed
so use the remote only when you want to deadlock the car = most secure option. When you do not want most secure then use the key... saves the 'do I need to press once or twice to set deadlock' quandary ...

I realise that it's easy to use the plipper correctly once you know the sequence and it's my own fault I didn't read the manual and assumed I was deadlocking when i wasn't, just pissed with myself really! Time for a beer or two !!

jimble1

Ready to race!
so use the remote only when you want to deadlock the car = most secure option. When you do not want most secure then use the key... saves the 'do I need to press once or twice to set deadlock' quandary ...

I realise that it's easy to use the plipper correctly once you know the sequence and it's my own fault I didn't read the manual and assumed I was deadlocking when i wasn't, just pissed with myself really! Time for a beer or two !!

Why would you use the key to lock the door?? That means you need to remove the cap over the keyhole!

grahamgolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Have to say comments on this topic are confusing.

My manual states that to lock the car without the alarm (both interior protection and anti-tow) then press the button on the pillar by the driver's seat. It will light up yellow. Close the door and lock as normal (one click). Specifically the manual states do this when the car is being transported e.g. on a ferry.

Locking the vehicle with two clicks on the key fob apparently disables the SAFELOCK mechanism (if your spec has this.....). SAFELOCK stops the doors from being opened from the inside; I assume that if a thief breaks the window they won't be able to open the doors.