GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Heat & D mode driving

pgard1

Ready to race!
So the temp is over 100 deg now in phx and I've noticed that after the car gets hot (220+ oil temp), the shift points in D mode raise ever so slightly. On a normal acceleration, I notice that 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear will hang at the 3k mark instead of shifting to the next gear.

Anyone else notice this?

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
I have noticed this as well but I thought it might be related to the stage 1 tune I have. I much prefer the higher shift points in D though I usually am in manual mode. I did not make the connection to the increase in ambient temperature. I am also in Phx. This week's forecast is blistering!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pgard1

Ready to race!
I have noticed this as well but I thought it might be related to the stage 1 tune I have. I much prefer the higher shift points in D though I usually am in manual mode. I did not make the connection to the increase in ambient temperature. I am also in Phx. This week's forecast is blistering!

MPG suffers when your shift points increase.. I can be going 40mph and my rpms are stuck at 3k... no bueno! Also, When I'm doing 50 and it wont go into 6th on its own, then I force it to 6th but then it downshifts back to 5th.. that doesnt sound right. S mode.. sure I expect that... D mode, that seems off.

I have an appt Friday to have this looked at. If you do alot of driving during hot days, you should notice this.

JB1911

My R is only two weeks old and bone stock and I too have noticed this.

On my drive to work in the morning the car has significantly lower shift points than when/if I drive in the peak afternoon heat.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
Let us know what the dealer says. This behavior was very noticeable today (115*). I was out of town the last few days so didn't have s chance to observe it.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Tennessee - 95F. (90% humidity)
In D mode I have not noticed this.
D mode shifts early, RPM's at 60mph run around 2100.
At 30mph in D mode I see RPM's as low at 1300. Feels like it will stall but never does.

The only time my car holds RPM's around 3,000 at 45mph is when I go to Auto sport mode. This is why in regular driving sport mode is annoying unless I go to manual shift sport mode then it is just fun. Unless wife with me as it bugs her.

From reading your post I would ask if you are sure you are normal D mode and not sport. Sorry for question as I am sure you know what mode you are in.

As related to heat I have not seen any changes.

For the first 1,000 miles my car ran engine temp of 220F.
Then it felt like it shifted to 225 - 230F Out side temps was not increased. I thought maybe VW programmed to run cooler at first for engine break in?
Just a guess on my part.

Last edited:

pgard1

Ready to race!
Wow! Glad I made an appointment.

I spoke directly with the service manager at my dealership and he sent my symptoms to his tech contacts. VW said they have had a few other complaints about this issue and are working on a solution. It does appear to be an air temp issue where people that live in hotter climates are experiencing this oddity.

He didnt have an eta on when they expect to have an answer on this, but it sounded like they have to pull in the engineers that did the original work on the platform to figure out the cause and solution. I'm hoping this comes soon. It's such a pain having to go into manual mode all the time so I'm not pegging at 3k rpm doing 40. :mad:

Please continue to post here if you are experiencing this issue so I can update my dealership on other instances of this issue. I'll post more once I hear any news.

pgard1

Ready to race!
Tennessee - 95F. (90% humidity)
In D mode I have not noticed this.
D mode shifts early, RPM's at 60mph run around 2500.
At 30mph in D mode I see RPM's as low at 1300. Feels like it will stall but never does.

The only time my car holds RPM's around 3,000 at 45mph is when I go to Auto sport mode. This is why in regular driving sport mode is annoying unless I go to manual shift sport mode then it is just fun. Unless wife with me as it bugs her.

From reading your post I would ask if you are sure you are normal D mode and not sport. Sorry for question as I am sure you know what mode you are in.

As related to heat I have not seen any changes.

For the first 1,000 miles my car ran engine temp of 220F.
Then it felt like it shifted to 225 - 230F Out side temps was not increased. I thought maybe VW programmed to run cooler at first for engine break in?
Just a guess on my part.

I dont have this issue on my drive into work.. in fact I can drive until the temp gets over 100 outside before this issue pops up. Most of the time it happens after I get to work and my car sits for 4hrs then I go to lunch. As soon as I get out on the road I notice the gears holding higher revs as high as 3.5k rpm before it shifts. If I'm cruising at 50, it wont shift up to 6th gear. If I force it to 6th, it will downshift to 5th once it goes back into auto mode. Definitely not normal behavior.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
Pls keep us posted. This is definitely happening to me every day now that it is so freaking hot.

brekdown29

J-O-O
Car(s)
GTI 7.5
Also, OP what dealership did you go to?

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
I have noticed the R actually drops oil temp faster when driving normally (not thrashing it) versus babying it. I think the air flowing through the intake and out helps pull heat. Just a theory based on my experience.

pgard1

Ready to race!
I have noticed the R actually drops oil temp faster when driving normally (not thrashing it) versus babying it. I think the air flowing through the intake and out helps pull heat. Just a theory based on my experience.

Ya.. will be interested in the fix for sure. I'm expecting a software update but we'll see.