GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Hatch weather seal sticking together causing leaks during rain

nestid

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Any idea how to fix this? I get it unstuck and then it sticks back together after I close the hatch. It’s causing water to seep into the hatch through the tailight areas too. Should I just bring it in and see if they will fix it under warranty?
18951828-2CCD-45EB-AF8B-06D4DE93CDE6.jpeg

Last edited:

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Strange, looks like it collapsed for some reason and is not springing back.
Replacement is only fix. Probably out of warranty for a 2017, but I would give it a shot. Otherwise pretty easy to replace yourself.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Clean it and the metal contact surfaces with mild soapy water. Looks like it’s been treated with armor all or something which is quite bad for trim. Once thoroughly cleaned of all contaminants allow it to dry completely. Put a fan on it if need be. Use Honda’s Shin-Etsu for for backside of the lip where rubber meets rubber when compressed, a tiny thin firm. Then spray a quality dry lube on the outside of the trim. I do this to every car we get purely to mitigate creaking and maintain the seals.

Attachments

• 4C66C388-4B33-4D5F-951E-2CBAA0C72A87.jpeg
    4C66C388-4B33-4D5F-951E-2CBAA0C72A87.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 92

nestid

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Strange, looks like it collapsed for some reason and is not springing back.
Replacement is only fix. Probably out of warranty for a 2017, but I would give it a shot. Otherwise pretty easy to replace yourself.
Luckily my warranty is not up until Jan 2021 and I'm only ~24k miles. I have them scheduled to see it next week. I can pull it back but it only holds its shape until I close the hatch. Hopefully it's covered under warranty

nestid

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Clean it and the metal contact surfaces with mild soapy water. Looks like it’s been treated with armor all or something which is quite bad for trim. Once thoroughly cleaned of all contaminants allow it to dry completely. Put a fan on it if need be. Use Honda’s Shin-Etsu for for backside of the lip where rubber meets rubber when compressed, a tiny thin firm. Then spray a quality dry lube on the outside of the trim. I do this to every car we get purely to mitigate creaking and maintain the seals.
Thanks! I'll give this a try and see if I can solve it before if I find out if warranty covers it next Tuesday!

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Luckily my warranty is not up until Jan 2021 and I'm only ~24k miles. I have them scheduled to see it next week. I can pull it back but it only holds its shape until I close the hatch. Hopefully it's covered under warranty

I'd clean it as best you can, clean all the weatherstripping. If it shines at all they could (rightfully) blame chemicals breaking the seals down.

nestid

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'd clean it as best you can, clean all the weatherstripping. If it shines at all they could (rightfully) blame chemicals breaking the seals down.
Roger that. What do you recommend cleaning the weatherstripping with so it doesn't look shiny? I've never treated it with anything. I think it's shiny because of soap leaking onto it and drying when I was the car.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Roger that. What do you recommend cleaning the weatherstripping with so it doesn't look shiny? I've never treated it with anything. I think it's shiny because of soap leaking onto it and drying when I was the car.

I use a 5 gallon bucket filled with warm water and a microfiber rag with a bit of regular ol' dish soap. Once done, empty the bucket and then wipe them back down with just warm water. Make sure you clean the metal contact points. I bet those seals are squawky when going over bumps and such. Someone treated them, maybe it was a cheap detailer or previous owner who knows. When done they should appear satin or even matte, not shiny. At least then maybe they'll chalk it up to the hatch needing adjustment due to crushing it, in which case they'd probably warranty it. BTW the dry lubricant also works fantastically on the fuzzy window/door trim. Totally invisible and no chirps, nothing when going over bumps etc.

Navi

Autocross Champion

Honda’s Shin-Etsu, Honda Bond and Honda urea grease are some of the top 3 products I use on any car make/model