GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Guess I'll get a battery..

TrueGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Hey guys,

First post in a long time. Cars been sitting in the garage for a while now. Factory 2016 Battery finally didn't do a first start after sitting for 6 months lol Anywho I was thinking of a Braille or something. But want to make sure it will mount in stock location. Anyone running an upgraded battery?

Thanks

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Just go with the dumbest lead acid or AGM battery you can find. The electronics on these cars really generally don't do well with weird stuff. I'm sure some people are running lighter batteries successfully, but it'll be a much more frequent maintenance item and very likely to have weird problems when it gets cooler outside and voltage dips happen when you initially crank the car (Braille and other LiFePO4 batteries get weak in the cold, but work better when you "warm them up" by running the headlights for a few minutes first). I can't imagine this would be problem-free for multiple years.

To get an idea of how sensitive these cars are... I had a borderline AGM battery that would shut down Kessy and was driving me nuts for a little while. There were a couple potential causes for the battery failing early... BUT the point is there is so much stuff that relies on a stable voltage source.

Also FYI the only battery that comes close to any of the factory ratings (to have as close a chance as possible at not having anything wonky happen) costs $1900.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Braille+Batt...JpDDYop9DFQsbvE1Y30BypBY1ACJQTNRoC1CgQAvD_BwE

And it's still a solid 10aH+ short of any OEM lead acid battery.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
I bought a battery from O'Reileys 4 years ago and got 2 free replacements under their warranty..... 😬

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
All info on batteries, types, OEM sizes, coding etc in the first post of my old write up here:-

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...bigger-capacity-battery-to-a-mk7-golf.320084/

Regarding Lightweight batteries:-
Lithium-Ion batteries:- These are actually lithium ferro-phosphate batteries "LiFePO4" batteries, & are used in racing, motorcycles, Porsche RS, etc., The main advantage being they are at least half the weight for the same case size compared to all the above battery types! However, they are more expensive than an AGM for the same case size! Also choosing the correct Ah capacity is critical because they have more cranking amps (CA as cold temperature rating CCA doesn't apply to LiFePO4) to start the engine than the other types of battery, but have far less Ah capacity to run stereos, satnav, heated seats, etc. when the engine is shut off. They also don't like being directly exposed to sub -7C (20F) temperatures for weeks on end, therefore, it is best to contact the battery manufacture with your cars details, usage patterns, etc. to get the best advice! These batteries require specific battery chargers/conditions that will work with lithium (LiFePO4) batteries.

Below are the biggest case size (H6/096/Group 48) batteries, with the highest Ah/CCA, that you can currently fit to the Mk7 Golf:-
Bosch or Varta AGM, with 70Ah, 760A CCA, weight of 20.4Kgs (45lbs), cost circa £140
Antigravity LiFePO4, with 60Ah, 1800A CA, weight of 8.2Kgs (18.15lbs), cost circa £950

For reference the Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport (CCS) is factory fitted with the smaller H5/027 case size, 59Ah/320A (DIN), EFB type battery (weight 16.9Kgs (37.3lbs)). The biggest Ah capacity Antigravity LiFePO4 battery in the same H5/027 case size has 40Ah,1500A CA, & weighs only 6.9Kgs (15.2lbs)!!

Kdubya

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI
I’m running an Optima yellow top.

Torrid

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
I went with the Autozone Duralast AGM. It's really not worth overthinking. I'd just go with a high CCA battery that fits the car. Saving weight with batteries is only going to cause problems in cold weather and drain issues if you like to use the radio without the engine running.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I just buy the cheapest battery I can find,and expect to replace every 3 years max. Would sooner do that over pay more than double for the super-duper warranty ones which cost more than double.

I've never before had a car that seems to eat them as fast, or have them fail as completely as these Mk7s do. I'm now on my third in my 17 GTI....both the others always seemed to be fine then all of a sudden, completely dead and done with no warning. One at a gas station after starting fine from home. Same as my daughter's Tsi, just replaced that one (no idea how long the prior one had been on). Just died one morning and that was it, tried charging it but dead as a nail. I always carry one of those Jumpstarters in the glove box - was a life saver at the gas station that time!

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I bought a battery from O'Reileys 4 years ago and got 2 free replacements under their warranty..... 😬
Same here, but without the need for replacement in the warranty window. H6 AGM from O'Reilly lasted me 4 years and 5 months (about 36k miles) on my poverty-spec base trim S (without Kessy or auto-start/stop) before I replaced it with the same battery about a month ago. It is super heavy, but doesn't matter since it's just my daily.