GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI stock downpipe have 2 cats?

Z27

Ready to race!
I always thought that after the flex pipe is a resonator but after a close inspection of my friend's downpipe, it looks like a second cat. Can anyone confirm?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I know the top one is a cat, I'd have to look at mine later to see if the second actually is.

Z27

Ready to race!
Follow up question, do cats help reduce noise like a resonator? Is that the reason why the stock downpipe is quieter than most aftermarket downpipes?

SHCKR

Ready to race!
And while we are at it, if I get an aftermarket DP, will I have to always replace it with factory to get inspected, in order to pass state inspection in NC?

Z27

Ready to race!
And while we are at it, if I get an aftermarket DP, will I have to always replace it with factory to get inspected, in order to pass state inspection in NC?

Unless you get one that uses a cat that guarantees no CEL (Neuspeed or AWE).

Matt15GTI

Ready to race!
I wonder if you removed the second catalyst if it would add any hp? Poor mans down pipe...

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I wonder if you removed the second catalyst if it would add any hp? Poor mans down pipe...

Did this on my Mazdaspeed3 back years ago...you will gain very little, probably even less on the MK7. Just a slightly deeper exhaust note and maybe a CEL thrown for your troubles LOL. On the MS3, it didn't cause a CEL.

JakeFromStateFarm

Ready to race!
Unless you get one that uses a cat that guarantees no CEL (Neuspeed or AWE).

What if you have a tune that eliminates CEL?

Is all they check just that you don't have a fault?

Z27

Ready to race!
^ correct. That's why I haven't pulled the trigger yet because Unitronic doesn't have a stage 2 file that is non-testpipe or has readiness available.