GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI MK7 v MK7.5 cabin noise

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Maybe its just me that feels the GTI Mk7.5 facelift cabin noise is higher than on my old MK7 but does anyone else have a view on this? Tyre make comes in to this I realise but I just feel the overall noise is greater on this revised model. I also experienced s difference on a MK7.5 1.5TSI GT when compared to its predecessor.

One thing it does prove is that my hearing in my advanced years appears to be OK!

Last edited:

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
wouldn't shock me. Likely less sound dampening material. I know there was some carpet removed from the rear in the hatch on the north american 7.5 models. Again, wouldn't surprise to find further cost reduction moves.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
Boot carpet deletion. Hood pad deletion. Not on all models but it seems like only the early builds still have these components. Lack of them could be a culprit. I will say my 7.5 sounds identical to my 7s

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Boot carpet deletion. Hood pad deletion. Not on all models but it seems like only the early builds still have these components. Lack of them could be a culprit. I will say my 7.5 sounds identical to my 7s
I thought the same thing as well. I don't mind losing the front hood plastic for the weight savings, but there's definitely a bit of wind and road noise. Anything I can buy to reduce the noise? Like the trunk carpet you were talking about for example.

focker

Passed Driver's Ed
I did this and am going to do the rear hatch in the next couple of weeks:

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI

This makes a noticeable differences. I did the hatch are with butyl and foam, and also did all four door panels. Car is much more enjoyable for highway drives now.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
My November 2017 build 2018 has a good liner and trunk carpet. I'm not satisfied with the road noise compared to my prior F56 JCW MINI, though, so I'm probably do something anyways.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R

Where'd you get the material? any tips?

Last time i did something like this i ordered from cardeadener showdown? i think it's been a good few years.

focker

Passed Driver's Ed

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Are you still able to put the spare tire there? How do you install it? I'm going to look into the Dynamat and Kilmat as well. Just the removable cargo floor isn't enough to reduce the noise coming from the rear.

focker

Passed Driver's Ed
Are you still able to put the spare tire there? How do you install it? I'm going to look into the Dynamat and Kilmat as well. Just the removable cargo floor isn't enough to reduce the noise coming from the rear.
Spare tire is there, speaker, everything fits great. It might add an 1/8" to the thickness but it sure does deaden the sound bouncing around.

20ls01

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI 2016
Could it be you're comparing different tires that are mounted on the mk7 and mk7.5?
Tires make a huge difference even if they're the same but one set has more miles than the other.

I am looking make this mod, it seems like a no brainer given the easy access and impact. I was checking things out under the hatch floor. Did you put the mat over or under the felt liner? Anything to look out for?

For anyone else considering doing this I did some digging on options. My conclusion is that purpose built sound deadener is better than using the roofing peel and stick for three reasons: 1 - there is little or no cost savings because the roofing needs multiple layers to provide the same thickness. Factor in time and you are net down. 2 - the adhesive on the roofing gets mixed reviews, especially on vertical surfaces. 3. Potential odor concerns.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk