GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD higher mileage champion?

Boyfrom64

Passed Driver's Ed
David, I do similar mileage per year to you; the only difference is that my car will be a company car not a private purchase.

However, as a choice between your two options, I would suggest that you go down the route of the GTD. I believe the GTD will provide more pleasure for all those miles that you will drive. Secondly, as your car is a personal purchase, I believe that the GTD will provide you with better value for the money you spend, by holding its value more than a GT.

KGB1

Passed Driver's Ed
Covering that sort of mileage I'd recommend finding a dealer that'll give you a demonstrator for a couple of days to try out for yourself.

I'm 6'2" and average build at 13 stone and anything more than 80 miles behind the wheel and I've got back pain in the standard GTD seats. The 4 test drives I had didn't give any indication of this but they were the usual 10-15 mile runs.

As previously mentioned taking the extended warranty to cover your ownership would be very wise, I certainly wouldn't want to own mine once it's out of cover;)

If you go with either I'd recommend taking the service plan too, my car wanted a service at 8000 miles which was £179.00 and dealer claims it now needs an annual inspection now its a year old @ 13,000 miles, coming from another make which was serviced every 16,000 miles or 2 years the Golf isn't the cheapest long term proposition.

I haven't read what fuel economy figure's the 150ps cars are achieving, the GTD's widely seem to average 45-50mpg, not quite the figure's some of us expected to see unfortunately.

Good luck with whatever you choose, buying a new car is a bit of a lottery:D

James75

Go Kart Champion
Last edited:

David Kirkham

Thank you guys,

I really appreciate you all taking the time to share your advice.

A good 20% of my final choice of car is derived from knowing there is a vibrant community of fellow owners that I can tap into for guidance and shared experience.
I will use what I know now to push my dealer into a good deal!

Watch out (in a few months) for pics

dk

James75

Go Kart Champion
Thank you guys,

I really appreciate you all taking the time to share your advice.

A good 20% of my final choice of car is derived from knowing there is a vibrant community of fellow owners that I can tap into for guidance and shared experience.
I will use what I know now to push my dealer into a good deal!

Watch out (in a few months) for pics

dk

If you haven't already already - check out the online brokers :)

James

Boyfrom64

Passed Driver's Ed
Covering that sort of mileage I'd recommend finding a dealer that'll give you a demonstrator for a couple of days to try out for yourself.

I'm 6'2" and average build at 13 stone and anything more than 80 miles behind the wheel and I've got back pain in the standard GTD seats. The 4 test drives I had didn't give any indication of this but they were the usual 10-15 mile runs.

As previously mentioned taking the extended warranty to cover your ownership would be very wise, I certainly wouldn't want to own mine once it's out of cover;)

If you go with either I'd recommend taking the service plan too, my car wanted a service at 8000 miles which was £179.00 and dealer claims it now needs an annual inspection now its a year old @ 13,000 miles, coming from another make which was serviced every 16,000 miles or 2 years the Golf isn't the cheapest long term proposition.

I haven't read what fuel economy figure's the 150ps cars are achieving, the GTD's widely seem to average 45-50mpg, not quite the figure's some of us expected to see unfortunately.

Good luck with whatever you choose, buying a new car is a bit of a lottery:D
I was luckly to take a GTD out on a 48 hour trial. I drove it on A roads, B roads and motorways and found the GTD exel on all.
David, I would say that the extra bhp will make a big difference to someone doing the annual miles that you will be doing.
Personally I am going with a DSG box. If you have never driven a car with a DSG gearbox, I would urge you to go and try one. Persoanlly, I think it s a gem of a gearbox and makes driving 25 - 30,000 miles a year a pleasure.

pipsyp

Ready to race!
It really depends what you want from the car TBF.

Firstly its worth noting that a Golf GT isnt really.anything other than a high spec regular Golf, in other markets they refer to it as a "Highline". A very nice high end Golf, well equipped and available with a couple of excellent engines ( the 150 TDI I can vouch for is superb)...but it is a regular Golf.

The GTD (much like the GTI and R) is a performance variant of the Golf and is I would suggest a bona-fide diesel warm hatch. Sure they look different but the changes underneath are many.....312mm front brakes vs 288, specific spring and damper set up, progressive steering (which only Performance Golfs get), ESC Sport, XDS+ etc etc.....and so it will drive quite differently to a GT 2.0 TDI. Performance wise there isnt leaps.and bounds in it but the GTD is a bit quicker for sure.

I had the choice of a GT 2.0 TDI with DSG or a GTD with a manual box and Ive gone GTD....really because the lure of the GTD was hard to ignore....also whilst a DSG would probably suit my annual mileage well (similar to yours) I've had a DSG equipped TDI before and didnt get on with it so feared the situation would be much the same. A manual GTD is bound to be a little more immersive.....and who could say no to the heritage Golf ball gearlever you get on the manual :)

The one big spec omission on the GTD (lack of sat nav) has now been addressed for the 2016 Model Year and with standard winter pack and keyless entry the GTD is now a fair bit better equipped than the GT rather than being fairly equal. The GTD is overall quite a bit "cooler" too.....in fact with the light dashes of chome, the chromed together twin pipes, Nogaro alloys and the grey cloth I personally prefer the look to that of the GTI.

I suppose if it were my own cash though the choice might be a little trickier.......neither car is cheap but a GT would be usefully cheaper......a GTD is likely to retain its value a little better but probably not to the degree it will outweigh the saving made on a GT.

I honestly dont think either car will disappoint, providing there is an appreciation that both cars are quite different and have different appeal.

santiagopilgrim

Ready to race!
Both versions of the car will have absolutely no problem at all reaching 120,000 - that's nothing for a solid diesel engine like the 2.0 TDI that's in these cars. Especially if it's 120,00 of motorway miles which are infinitely better than town miles no only for the engine but for the rest of the car too.

I own a GT and I love it - it's perfect for me. But I wouldn't say that the GTD will be any less reliable for your mileage, so I think it just comes down to what you like driving more and if you can afford the extra £5,000+.

James75

Go Kart Champion
Drive the Deal on a 1.4 manual GT offer a £4,229. Discount bringing the price down to £20,580.

They offer a smaller discount on a manual GTD with £3,414 bringing the price down to £24,715.

These quotes are with no options and a metallic colour.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Love my GTD and it really is a supreme mile muncher, and whilst I've had no issues with backache in the GTD seats, despite their looks, I don't find them the best seats I've ever sat in.

I'm still surprised that the Ergo active versions of the seats - with the massage function and the extending seat squab (I have long legs), are not available on the top tier GTD./GTI and R models, but can be had on the lower models (though not in all markets).