GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD higher mileage champion?

David Kirkham

Hi,
I'm considering a GTD over a GT. I drive 30k miles per year, and will most likely keep the car for four years.

What do you think of the GTD as a motorway plugger? It will have its fair share of challenging A and B roads, but will spend a lot of time on the M6 and M1.

Would the more conservative 150bhp TDI be a safer bet for up to 120,000 miles?

Thanks
DK

vwman

Go Kart Champion
I would think you might wish you went for the GTD if you do 30k miles per year and intend to keep the car for four years.

There is nothing wrong with the GT 150 PSI its a great motor.

Over fours years the additional cost of the GTD with all the standard spec items is good value.

For a worry free three years of motoring at 30k miles pa you could go for the 5 year extended warranty ( £550 )

All down to budget of course.

James75

Go Kart Champion
I can't really see a right or wrong answer to this question, it's choice.

I personally think the GTD is less 'hot diesel hot hatch' and better all round motorway mile muncher, for me, it excels at long distances, it's got the power, the torque, the refinement. Tyre roar on some roads may be a bit on the annoying side though.

The GTD is a great companion on a long motorway run.

But equally a 150 GT Diesel will do the same job, just as well so it can only be personal choice, affordability and the right deal

Of course I have a bias and if it was me, I'd get the GTD but that's just a personal choice particularly as you now get sat nav, keyless and the winter pack as standard.

James

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
Both have 2 litre TDI engines which must be at least 90% the same, if not more. Either car will do 30k miles a year no problem. As James says the GTD is great motorway companion, the torque in 6th makes scampering past other cars effortless.

GeoBog

Ready to race!
I would suggest to get a test drive on both and then decide. If you travel that much in your car based on the mileage above, you might find like some others around here that the GTD seats are not that comfortable on the long run. I find them comfortable enough for me (GTI seats are the same).

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
First suggestion I have heard that the seats are not comfortable - I think they are excellent seats...

James75

Go Kart Champion
Not heard that either. I've done long distances in mine and never had an issue.

As a private purchase I would choose the GTD. it just feels special compared to a standard Golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeoBog

Ready to race!
First suggestion I have heard that the seats are not comfortable - I think they are excellent seats...

As I said, I love the GTI/D seats, they are comfortable and supportive enough for my liking. I was merely highlighting that others have moaned about the seats being uncomfortable, especially for larger lads. I've got no way of knowing the OPs' size lol so this is something he might need to be aware of especially since he is buying the car for high mileage runs.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6770&highlight=seat

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=271156.0

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=261058.0

Last edited: