GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf TDI to GTI TDI conversion thread. !!! Warning Picture Heavy !!!

Micah247

Ready to race!
I purchased a 2015 Golf TDI SE (DSG :( ) with only 75 miles, in May of 2017. I read an article on how VW was releasing these leftover 2015 models. I love desiels and I always wanted a 2.0 VW CR. I restored 1985 BMW 524td see my username @ Mye28.com if your curious. I found this one at the 4th dealer I went to. I took delivery of the car after about 2 weeks. The only reason I purchased a vehicle that had been sitting on a lot for 2 years was, because it was supposed to go through a multi point inspection. I'm Picturing certified preowned kind of thing. Long story short the dealer never did a thing to the car. It was completely out of washer fluid they did not change the oil. I know that because there was a nest on the splashguard. There is no protective cover around the battery. The battery had not been replaced. In the end Volkswagen did a phenomenal job of customer service and had the car completely gone through at another dealership.

Before I took delivery of the vehicle I purchased my first mod.

1. A badgeless grill from ECS tuning.
First off I will never rebadge no matter how far I take this. I feel that's the ultimate mod sin.

2. Sprint booster. Everyone says they're BS, but none of them actually own one. I've driven the car for a couple weeks with and without it and I can definitely say it's much more fun with it

3. Oil change with magnetic drain plug.

4. Tint and Remote start with DroneMobile. I went with that system because it was the only one that told me the temperature inside of the vehicle. I figured that was a pretty good gauge of whether it was up to temperature.

5. K-40 RL360i install. This was pricey, but worth every single penny. My blinkers light up blue. Left for front, right for rear. It also talks to you from behind the gauges.

6. Car-net disabled. I was going to post a link to a thread where I learned how to do it, but it looks like it's been taken down luckily I took a screenshot.

7. Injen intake. I know right. I looked at every cold air intake system on the market, but this one was by far the most impressive. I never liked the idea of paying $300 plus for a piece of pipe, filter in a bit of sheet metal. At least they put some thought into their design and it fits nicely.

8. Brembo GT2 Front BBK. I was very close to doing Boxster calipers, but decided the slightly larger 330 mm rotor would be better in the end. Speaking of I've never seen this happen there was a bump on the rotor I had to machine off. I didn't notice it on the front left rotor on install, but the first time I hit the brakes I definitely noticed the thump, thump, thump. Once that was resolved the brakes have worked flawlessly.

9. Picked up a pair of cheap 18 inch wheels to get a feel for how it would ride on the larger diameter wheel. I pair them up with Michelin SS tires. This made a huge difference with grip compared to the stock continental tires.

10. Bosal Euro Hitch. It wasn't until sometime later I got the 2 inch adapter from Tesla. That stinking adapter was the hardest part I've ever had to source

11. ST coilovers. This was a total disaster. I decided I didn't want to mess around with this job myself so I had a local performance shop install them based on their recommendation. The stock suspension is extremely sloppy and soft. I wasn't really looking to lower the vehicle I just needed to stiffen up the ride a little bit so it would be fun around corners, typical sport suspension. The very first test drive it was extremely harsh. I hit a pothole and the driver side spring bent. In the end the shop returned my vehicle back to the stock suspension and returned my money.

12. Installed aftermarket Pioneer amp, bass knob and stealth 12 inch sub in the spare tire.

13. ECS Flush kit.

14. Eurocode rear brace. This made a huge difference getting rid of body roll.

15. GTI leather seats. Drove eight hours to Pennsylvania state over pick them up and brought them back the next day. Had to change the Presence module on the passenger seat and code it.

16. Installed VWR Sport springs with the stock dampers. It stiffened up the ride a little bit, but the shocks were still sloppy, bottomed out even more and I got a lot of rubbing either with stock wheels and spacers or 32 offset wheels.

17. Black trim conversion. I lucked out on this one. I found most of the pieces on eBay in Latvia for around $20 each. I couldn't stand the silver trim I'm so much happier with the black. I originally wanted piano black, but the grid pattern was really all I could fine. No it's not carbon fiber look. That is so played out and there's not a stitch of it anywhere in the vehicle. Don't get me wrong genuine performance oriented parts are OK. Redoing your trim pieces is a different story, it was cool in 2004.

18. Removed the stock dampers and VWR springs. Replaced with Koni Yellows with the stock springs. I've been very pleased with this configuration. I've been tightening up a little bit as I go, but the ride is awesome, cornering is great and no more bottoming out.

19. BFI stage one mounts and Dogbone insert. This eliminated my wheel hop completely. Slight vibration, but you get used to it quick.

20. ISweep lower brace.

21. Neuspeed torsion beam rear brace. I figured until I can ditch my ad blue tank and do an IRS conversion, I would double down on the torsion been and stiffen it up.

22. GTI PP rear brake upgrade. This was tricky with the torsion beam suspension. This was not a plug-and-play upgrade. The stainless steel brake lines were short. I'm having a new set fabricated for me until then I had to fudge to get by. Don't laugh it works. I just need to know the banjo bolt size for the rear PP brakes. The dust shield had to be removed and the E brake cable had to be rerouted, but it all works. I got the Brembo rear brakes pads. This complements the front brakes very well.

I fixed this after the picture was taken, so there is no metal on metal rubbing. I know some of you guys are freaking out looking at this picture.

23. GTI rear valance and muffler.

24. Upgraded to MIB2 with CarPlay and 8" screen. APG in Poland provided the deck.

25. BBS RS2 18" wheels. I'm in the process of having them stripped, centers powder coated black and mirror lip.

Hopefully will look like this.

26. ECS skid plate. Yeah it adds a little bit of weight, but with a plastic oil pan how can I not.

27. Got a Ross Tec Hex-net V2. Did some tweaks.
Gauge sweep
Passenger mirror dip
Changed boot screen of infotainment to GTI
Added oil temperature to MFD
Programmed FOB to unroll windows
Added ECS off

28. P3 Vent Guage

29. Installed frost heater block heater.

30.Swaped door cards fro GTI

31. Shifter extensions.

32. Front sway bar. 100% stiffer than stock.

Upcoming mods:

Installing button for driver modes having dealer activate.
Gunmetal gray vinyl on rear quarter panels
Upgraded turbo from GTD
IRS conversion
Aluminum front control arms.
USRT transmission cooler
GTI steering wheel with real paddle extensions.

Last edited:

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Nice to see a journal about a TDi. I have a Tornado Red 2015 S 6MT, also purchased in May. Besides the Kerma tune haven't done anything non-cosmetic to it yet. Planning to start a build, and thread this summer. Good stuff, keep us posted.

Edit: Is that intake open on both sides, and closed in the back? There's a thread somewhere on here with people opening up the driver side of the intake and also blocking off the rear of the passenger side (that goes into the engine bay) with an OEM piece. The DIY method is cheaper of course but that Injen piece looks really good. I didn't even know they had an application for the MK7 TDi.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Well done on purchasing a re-released 2015 TDI. The warranty and prices were impressive.

We like pics. However, you should appropriately size your pictures so we can read your journal without having to scroll left to right. Just like your project is being done right your post should also.

Dameon

Go Kart Champion
Nice to see a journal about a TDi. I have a Tornado Red 2015 S 6MT, also purchased in May. Besides the Kerma tune haven't done anything non-cosmetic to it yet. Planning to start a build, and thread this summer. Good stuff, keep us posted.

How do you like the Kerma tune? It’s on my very short list of To-do’s. 2015 gsw.

Micah247

Ready to race!
Great build! Practically made yourself a us-spec GTD.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I just need to delete DPF, Adblue, EGR and do IRS conversion.

One small difference from my made up "GTI TDI" and a real Euro GTD. GTD has a blue interior color scheme, mine is red. Gauges, radio, stitching, etc.

At first I thought there was such a thing as a GTI TDI. I'm such a dummy.

Can anyone think of other details I'm missing?
Besides steering wheel and front bumper?

Last edited:

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Honestly with the malone tune, you'll be at more power than a stock GTD and the only thing i think you fall short with is IRS, but even then, not a big deal. You already mentioned the GTD turbo. Everything else is gravy on top. Really awesome job. This is what i wanted to do with my old jetta diesel, but bailed and hopped in a GTI instead.

Carlos Fandango

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTD DSG
I just need to delete DPF, Adblue, EGR and do IRS conversion.

One small difference from my made up "GTI TDI" and a real Euro GTD. GTD has a blue interior color scheme, mine is red. Gauges, radio, stitching, etc.

At first I thought there was such a thing as a GTI TDI. I'm such a dummy.

Can anyone think of other details I'm missing?
Besides steering wheel and front bumper?

European GTD has a grey colour scheme, GTE has the blue accents.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
How do you like the Kerma tune? It’s on my very short list of To-do’s. 2015 gsw.
Absolutely love it. Initially flashed in August. No change in fuel economy but sooooo much more midrange power. I'm not sure if throttle response changed tbh, I would have to flash back to stock...

In January I saw a thread about an update to the tune (Kerma doesn't have traditional stages but they are continually working on the tune they offer) and I shot them an email asking about it. Not a day later I get an email with two versions of the updated tune. One called Stage 1 and another called 1+. My understanding is that max power available on both of them and fuel economy will be the same but stage 1+ gives you max power earlier in the RPM range. Some vehicles, including mine, have some clutch shudder if you get all the way on it under 2000 RPM.

You can flash 1+ and drive around it by downshifting when you want to floor it which is what I do. Or you can flash stage 1 and floor it as you see fit. This is with full full emissions equipment and EGT limit unchanged. My understanding is that if I were to hammer it at the top of 4th gear I could hit the EGT limit and feel power "pulsing" but that would be the car protecting itself. I've only been through two tanks of gas since the update. Hand calculations show about 2 mpg better. I'm certainly driving it harder now messing around with this new tune so maybe I'll see 3-5 better when I stop "testing" it.

In my opinion it's the best thing you can do for the car (besides tires possibly, I'm still stock) and still keep your emissions equipment. Bought the flash unit so I can change the "stage" or go back to stock at will. Just got an adblue warning at 9400 miles but I don't know how that compares to stock, I tuned at ~6,000. If I had to refill the ad blue tank every 3,000 miles and lost 5 mpg over stock I would still keep this tune. It's that good.

No experience with any other tune. And I'm manual but I also understand that the DSG tune is highly recommended with any engine tune you go with.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
man youve done a lot! great work! any exterior mods planned? lip? spoiler?

you looking for lighting package OEM red stripe housings?

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Awesome!

Also, anyone who quotes the first post should be banned...