GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R mk8 at the Nurburgring.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I definitely won't be going out and buying one right away...
But with my GTI creeping up on the 5 year mark, it is in the back of my mind in the next couple of years...

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Not bad. My plan is to get an 8.5 Golf R in 2024 when my GTI warranty expires.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
OEM cage in it? lol

Weichers make them for the MK7..also...

https://www.wiechers-sport.de/en/sh...olf-vii-typ-au-ab-bj-08-2012-clubsport-detail

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
One thing I'd like to point out about those pictures for the MK8 is that they show crap sliding fist front brake calipers...so no nice 4 pots like the Audi TT-S......FFS VW!!!..:mad:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
One thing I'd like to point out about those pictures for the MK8 is that they show crap sliding fist front brake calipers...so no nice 4 pots like the Audi TT-S......FFS VW!!!..:mad:
They're two piston sliders though, so double what any R except the Mk4 R32 had.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
They're two piston sliders though, so double what any R except the Mk4 R32 had.

Still heavy & crap compared to the 4 pots they fit to the Porsche Macan or the Audi TT-S ...just shows where they skimp on the money...have loads of unsprung weight to feck with the handling....!!

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Still heavy & crap compared to the 4 pots they fit to the Porsche Macan or the Audi TT-S ...just shows where they skimp on the money...have loads of unsprung weight to feck with the handling....!!
Meh, I've had a similar weight car (M Coupe) that did just fine on track with two piston sliders. I've also had cars with six piston Brembos (135i) that barely functioned on the road, much less the track. STi's, 370Z's and many other cars with four pistons are absolute rubbish on track. Fixed calipers are pretty and of course make sense when properly done, but I hold that a 3000 pound car doesn't necessarily benefit from them if a sliding caliper setup is properly designed and lines, pads and fluids are all appropriate.

Would I prefer that the Mk8 just had the S3 or TT-S brakes? Of course. But two pistons are still an upgrade over what we've had for the last 13 years.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Would I prefer that the Mk8 just had the S3 or TT-S brakes? Of course. But two pistons are still an upgrade over what we've had for the last 13 years.

& that says it all really..in this day in age when the makers all go on about "reducing weight" by getting rid of soundproofing, glovebox linings, etc etc...& then leave on heavy cast grey metal calipers!!…

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
& that says it all really..in this day in age when the makers all go on about "reducing weight" by getting rid of soundproofing, glovebox linings, etc etc...& then leave on heavy cast grey metal calipers!!…
Well sure, it could have the aluminum subframe too. And a five cylinder. But everything is made to a price point, and we're talking about a car that's barely over the average new car price of $37.2k.

I'd honestly prefer they'd use floating hat rotors, as they're at least unsprung weight and would reduce weight (and unsprung weight) more than fixed calipers.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.

Where's my spare tires at

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Well sure, it could have the aluminum subframe too. And a five cylinder. But everything is made to a price point, and we're talking about a car that's barely over the average new car price of $37.2k.

MK7 Clubsport has the Alu sub frame..& I've seen the alu subframe on some MK8 as its there in the manufacturing videos that have been done at the plant.....& the more you make of a product the cheaper it becomes....& hell we are talking about the top end "R" not the base model....

EDIT..it'll never have a 5cylinder as that "signature" is Audi only & that's a dictate from VAG HQ...

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
MK7 Clubsport has the Alu sub frame..& I've seen the alu subframe on some MK8 as its there in the manufacturing videos that have been done at the plant.....& the more you make of a product the cheaper it becomes....& hell we are talking about the top end "R" not the base model....
And we're talking about a Volkswagen. There's a reason they have a more expensive brand in Audi, and Porsche, and Lamborghini and Bugatti. We're dealing with an entry level family car, not a sports car. It would be nice to a see a Golf R Plus like has been rumored, I'd pay more to get some "Audi" parts and something closer to a Focus RS in terms of track readiness. Of course the death of the RS probably isn't helping this cause at all.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Even the golf has a bit of overhang.

The R line is just like that oo

That's definitely how it's going to be.
That’s not actually overhang, the body coloured section has a gloss black strip under it if you look closely.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Looks good but appears the front bumper still has some camouflage (look around where the fog lights would be).
Definitely still camouflaged in order to make it resemble the Mk7 front end.