Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
OEM cage in it? lol

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
MK8 R is looking a lot sharper with those Pretorias.

I am looking forward to see the wheel design which they are going to choose for MK8 R. Hope it isnt anything similar to Cadiz.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
The overall shape of the car actually just seems really off to me. The back of the car looks so much smaller than the rest of it. The front windows and the area where the people sit in the front looks so fat and then everything behind that gets a lot narrower. The squareness of the back end of these cars was always one of my favorite things. Just look at how much of the sides you can see from the back of the car in the picture above and how the roof lines show how much narrow it gets going towards the back.

You can barely even see the spoiler at an angle like this. I think that's my biggest problem with the new design. I don't like that sloped roof and the narrow rear end. I'm sure it was done for aerodynamic reasons like they did for the mk7, but to me they're just removing one of the most important features of the golf.

JUMB3E

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 Golf R 6MT
Rear looks like a Tiguan

Dadbus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 R DSG, 997.1 GT3
I do like that the changes between each generation is minimal, almost like a 911. Unlike BMW, every generation now takes on a completely different look and profile, like Japanese cars do with generation changes.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Looks good but appears the front bumper still has some camouflage (look around where the fog lights would be).

Something ain't right, because that spot where the euro license plate is mounted doesn't even accommodate the plate without a bunch of overhang, and I seriously doubt they'd design it that way - because in Europe you can't get away with just not mounting it, nor mount that big thing side-saddle on a tow hook like crazy people do over here. I think the back end is a disaster from every angle. And don't even get me started about the lack of hard buttons for ANY of the interior controls.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Something ain't right, because that spot where the euro license plate is mounted doesn't even accommodate the plate without a bunch of overhang, and I seriously doubt they'd design it that way - because in Europe you can't get away with just not mounting it,

Even the golf has a bit of overhang.

The R line is just like that oo

That's definitely how it's going to be.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I do like that the changes between each generation is minimal, almost like a 911. Unlike BMW, every generation now takes on a completely different look and profile, like Japanese cars do with generation changes.

+1

The looks are growing on me, but I'm disappointed to read a MT isn't expected to be offered.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
The seats I'm seeing through the windshield are beefy. If this thing is a real drivers machine, it MIGHT get me out of my current GTI.