GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R Mk7 DSG clutch slip

Gremlin_Golf_R

Dear members and fellow Golf R owners,

I own a Golf R Mk7 (stock) 2015

I'm facing the following issue:
1) probable DSG clutch slip on launch control 2) clutch slip at 3rd gear and 5th gear when going full throttle

I was able to capture it on video

Any thoughts ?

https://vimeo.com/145958550

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

racer011

Just went through *exact* same thing. Took it to a local VW tuning shop/APR dealer and they found it to be 1.5L low. Shop owner has a 15' Golf R as well, and he said his did the same thing (slip when launching and slip in 4th gear under hard acceleration). He has also seen several others with low DSG fluid as well. I am stage II APR tune with full exhaust and with proper fluid level mine now doesn't slip a bit.

Good luck.

Gnasher

Ready to race!
Although it is only happening on one of the clutches for the OP.

Whilst it could (and probably is) be low fluid, there could be a defect with one of the clutches (which could have been caused by the low fluid lol).

2016_Golf_R

Ready to race!
How difficult is this to top off and how pricey is this fluid?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
How difficult is this to top off and how pricey is this fluid?

You need to pump it in from below, through the drain plug. There's no reason to do anything unless you have a leak or clutch slippage. Both would be covered under warranty. I think it's about $25/gallon (or is quarts) and it holds between 4 and 5.

You do need to have the fluid and filter changed at least every 40,000 miles. It costs a few hundred dollars. You might want to get a new battery at the same time (if you're about due) since you need to remove it to get to the filter.

You could do the change yourself, but I don't think it's worth it unless you already have all the equipment. To do it correctly, the car needs to be level, so you need 4 jack stands (if you don't have access to a lift), a garden sprayer with large enough capacity to hold 5 quarts or gallons of DSG fluid, and the necessary tools and hoses/fittings to fit the sprayer and drain. You should have a VCDS to monitor the fluid's temperature. Since there's no dipstick, and the fluid is temperature sensitive, it's the only way to know for sure how the volume of fluid you have in the trans. Not worth it for a service you do so infrequently.

Last edited:

SpeedDemon

Ready to race!
anyone have this same issue with 6spd MT?? or this just a DSG issue??

2016_Golf_R

Ready to race!
You need to pump it in from below, through the drain plug. There's no reason to do anything unless you have a leak or clutch slippage. Both would be covered under warranty. I think it's about $25/gallon (or is quarts) and it holds between 4 and 5.

You do need to have the fluid and filter changed at least every 40,000 miles. It costs a few hundred dollars. You might want to get a new battery at the same time (if you're about due) since you need to remove it to get to the filter.

You could do the change yourself, but I don't think it's worth it unless you already have all the equipment. To do it correctly, the car needs to be level, so you need 4 jack stands (if you don't have access to a lift), a garden sprayer with large enough capacity to hold 5 quarts or gallons of DSG fluid, and the necessary tools and hoses/fittings to fit the sprayer and drain. You should have a VCDS to monitor the fluid's temperature. Since there's no dipstick, and the fluid is temperature sensitive, it's the only way to know for sure how the volume of fluid you have in the trans. Not worth it for a service you do so infrequently.

Thanks for all the great info! My car hooks like crazy with launch control so I think I"m golden but just wanted to learn more about the process for future "top offs". :)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You don't really top it off, per se. In effect, you overfill the trans, and as long as it's at the proper temperature, you wait until the fluid almost stops dripping, then you replace the drain plug. There's a tube under the drain plug that sticks up into the transmission. It's like the tube in a toilet tank. The tank can only fill up with water so far before the water reaches the top of the tube and drains into the bowl.

As I recall, you need to remove the trans tube to drain all of the fluid. I only watched.

tautvydasv

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine oil level was ok. However dealer also did adaptation.

I have not done too much testing, but it seems fine now.

So I would pressume - that sometimes it is enough to have adaptation done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

enkil

Ready to race!
You don't really top it off, per se. In effect, you overfill the trans, and as long as it's at the proper temperature, you wait until the fluid almost stops dripping, then you replace the drain plug. There's a tube under the drain plug that sticks up into the transmission. It's like the tube in a toilet tank. The tank can only fill up with water so far before the water reaches the top of the tube and drains into the bowl.

As I recall, you need to remove the trans tube to drain all of the fluid. I only watched.

Thats exactly it :D

The tube is called overfill neck. You can never overfill that is. It drains into the drain plug area and you just remove it.

monkey4

just purchased a 16 golf R and install an apr stage 1. Ive noticed a couple time I've slowed to turn a corner and tried to accelerate and it will free rev till i let off the gas and it will then catch, also taking off from a light at half throttle it will jump to 2500 rpm or so before the car will even move. After reading this thread I'm having my apr dealer check fluid level this week. hope thats all it is

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
just purchased a 16 golf R and install an apr stage 1. Ive noticed a couple time I've slowed to turn a corner and tried to accelerate and it will free rev till i let off the gas and it will then catch, also taking off from a light at half throttle it will jump to 2500 rpm or so before the car will even move. After reading this thread I'm having my apr dealer check fluid level this week. hope thats all it is

Here I thought 16's were fixed.

GarabinS1

Ready to race!
How much fluid does the dsg hold? Is it 4.7l after The car warms up to 35c and you let excess fluid drain out?

I think my dsg is low on fluid, so I'm planning on letting it all out, just to see how low it is, and then putting 5l back in/following the flush procedure.