GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R manual vs DSG long term reliabilty?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
If he’s purely daily driver and staying stock the MT is fine. But even so - stock for stock I think a DSG will be more reliable

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
If he’s purely daily driver and staying stock the MT is fine. But even so - stock for stock I think a DSG will be more reliable
I'm very confused but don't want to start a debate lol. There's so much more that can break with a dsg, not saying they are common but the more complicated anything is the more chances of failures.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
It’s definitely overblown bc of the “vocal minority” of people who experience the issue reporting it online compared to the thousands who don’t experience it. But some decent polls have been taken on Facebook with over a thousand responses and something like 20+ people with the DKM Twin-Disk Clutch have experienced crank walk, which is hardly insignificant. Plenty others also experience it.

My car is 100% Daily Driver and my power goals are 280-300WHP so a clutch good for ~350TQ shouldn’t over stress the thrust bearing

Have to be careful with that one. I don't think there is anything definitive, and I am not looking to add debate around it neither. There were GTI's and early 2016 R's. I think a good chunk of them being single mass flywheel (SMF), including the DKM Twin-Disk. I hadn't seen anything related to dual mass flywheels (DMF). At least that is what I am banking on. Plus I hate chatter.

The clutch I am putting in is good for close to 600ft-lbs (only aiming for 450ft-lbs of that) /w a SACHS DMF and fortunate that the shop doing the work has a fix for the issue - so personally I *hope* to never know. So really like anything when modifying the car, you have to pick and choose what changes you are making like anything you do with a car.

That said, really it comes down to whether you want the bragging rights of how fast you can launch, or how much fun you can have without putting a 'statistic' on it'?
Where you are replacing a clutch, you are paying about the same as the DSG out the door, and getting a DSG tune as you continue modding.

When you want to repair a 6MT, you are going to save thousands in repairs vs a DSG, plain and simple. I have had to get a third party repair on a DSG, and it's ridiculous for a mech unit. Even worse for an entire unit. Let's just say I was happy I spent $3k on the third party warranty lol.

Just to add...if you want a DSG clutch that can handle 600ft-lbs you are looking at around $5k in parts alone. You will be hard to find that cost for a 600 ft-lbs clutch for a 6MT. That said, that little DSG R will fly lol.

**to add, my next R or S3/RS3 will be a dual clutch though

Last edited:

joecc

Car(s)
Tacoma
If you're debating between a 17 and 18 R, note that the 18 will have the 6/72 warranty.

I don't really have anything to add. I have a 6MT with Diesel Geek, heavy shift knob, etc, and it's fine. Wife has a B9 A4 with the 7 speed DSG and it's the best "automatic" transmission I've ever experienced. I don't think you can really go wrong with either transmission 🤷‍♂️

It will be an 18' or a 17' CPO which provides a two year warranty If I can find a low mile one. I think I actually prefer the simpler more traditional speedometer/odometer layout and the hard buttons on the infotainment center on the 17'

Last edited:

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Countdown until the "MANUAL 4 LYFE" and "DSGs IS FASTER" crowd chimes in.

The biggest thing is that the manual's reliability depends on how good or bad of a driver you are, whereas the DSG is what it is. If you're not a great driver then a money shift is more likely to happen than a failed DSG IMO.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I'm very confused but don't want to start a debate lol. There's so much more that can break with a dsg, not saying they are common but the more complicated anything is the more chances of failures.
True. Lots of points of failure in a dsg for sure. Especially that mechachronic bullshit. However that’s spelled.

though the manual is subjected to something the dsg isn’t. User error. Lots of “I know how to drive a stick” bois really aren’t great at it

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
DSG's more reliable.

I recall when my left leg cramped up. Thankfully, I was sitting on my couch. Won't have to worry about your left foot driving DSG.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
DSG's more reliable.

I recall when my left leg cramped up. Thankfully, I was sitting on my couch. Won't have to worry about your left foot driving DSG.

Some of the worst pain I ever experienced was trying to push in a clutch with an extremely sprained ankle.

Mechachronic 😂

Not making fun of your spelling, the word you've created is seriously hilarious.

Got that mecha yum yum and it's that fire.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Some of the worst pain I ever experienced was trying to push in a clutch with an extremely sprained ankle.

Got that mecha yum yum and it's that fire.
Oh god that is shitty. I have exceptional compartment syndrome in both legs. During a flair up I had to clutch with my foot pointed outward like a ballerina. Very painful shit.

the dsg is very kind to me and my leg and back issues. But I will always love manuals. Nothing communicates like it. I tried a veloster n dsg. The 8 speed. It’s really good and frankly better than our dsg. But as good as it is it’s missing a pedal

regardless, the gti and r dsg are great and special for sure.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion

This is exactly why I asked what OP meant by "reliable."

DSG is for sure going to be more expensive to fix in the long run. It may take longer to break, but when it does...