GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R estate

L3nnox

Ready to race!
Anyone ordered one??? I'm not looking just yet but the lease deals in the Golf R estate look superb.

6 by 23 DSG equipped car £281 per month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Nope.....as N/A in 6speed manual & N/A in tungsten silver metallic..........

my GT TSI will do however though...........until such times..........

L3nnox

Ready to race!
This colour??

Yeah didn't realise it was DSG only, here an even better deal,

L3nnox

Ready to race!
Here's the rub..... For a bit more..... 335d x-drive touring!?

Quicker, better mpg and arguably a better car? But more common?

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
There is no 're-sale' time with a lease - its called 'hand back time'! ;-)

nv1r

Ready to race!
Here's the rub..... For a bit more..... 335d x-drive touring!?

Quicker, better mpg and arguably a better car? But more common?

Just a pre-warning, it'll probably be more expensive once you add the "BMW common courtesy" pack and the additional "indicator" pack ;)

L3nnox

Ready to race!
Just a pre-warning, it'll probably be more expensive once you add the "BMW common courtesy" pack and the additional "indicator" pack ;)

Come on..... They are option that are NEVER selected! Lol

I've had 3 bmws and I always pick the "drive and dress like a traffic cop" option. Empties outside lanes quicker than road cones.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
This colour??

Yeah didn't realise it was DSG only, here an even better deal,

That is a pre-production test mule & No the TS metallic is N/A in the UK for the R estate

& this is my car/colour.....;)

Attachments

• Car-on-summers.jpg
    Car-on-summers.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 2,553
Last edited:

James75

Go Kart Champion
The BMW is a better car, better to drive, better residuals, better image (?)

But somehow...

I just don't like it - BMW's just leave me 'meh' - it's not a way to buy cars, I know, and many people here in the UK chose VW over say the equivalent Seat because of residual values but BMW's - I just don't connect with - despite their undoubted brilliance.

The Golf R Estate - it's different, unusual and by VW standards a bit bonkers. Those things just have more appeal to me.

But perhaps if i was buying via lease, the monthly payments and the BMW badge would sway it.

James

L3nnox

Ready to race!
But perhaps if i was buying via lease, the monthly payments and the BMW badge would sway it.
James

I guess it comes down to the deals at the time, but I have to say I fancy the idea of the Golf R estate. I have had a number of sporting estates over the years and although I love my GTD its restricted load lugging is a big negative for me. The Estate version is now the same as my old E61 535ds boot.

But I still would like to hear from anyone taking the plunge for an R estate to understand their decision making / rational.

scoobyc

But I still would like to hear from anyone taking the plunge for an R estate to understand their decision making / rational.

Me too

James

I'll try :)
I currently have an M5 f10 and the lease finishes in October and I'm hopefully changing tactics again from a do everything to a "sensible" car and a more toy orientated one. It's been/is great but going to a 3 series would definitely feel as down grading whereas the golf feels completely different so doesn't seem as bad in this respect (I ran a mk7 GTI PP last year and always enjoyed the drive).
Regards quicker, there's probably not much in it between the R and the 335D mentioned above but if looking at the figures the R is a bit quicker to 100mph and makes most of this up from 60-100mph as the 3 is quicker to 60. Here's a couple of sites with tests on each (assuming the estate will be close to the hatch) - http://fastestlaps.com/cars/vw_golf_r_mk7.html

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/2013/1913060/bmw_335d_xdrive.html

I assume this is because the 3 has very long gearing to get it's mpg which the greater torque can't compensate for in raw speed.
Gearboxes - I prefer dsg/twin clutch gearboxes to full autos which the 3 is, it's good but not as good imho.
MPG, definitely better on the 3 but at approx 16k miles over 2 years it won't be a deciding factor for me.
Looks is subjective but they're both nice looking cars to me, the R in lapiz looks very nice - worth having a look at the youtube vids to give a better view, especially the rear 3/4 view.
Finally lease costs, the R to my spec (lapiz plus dcc) is £8400 total cost over 2 years, the 3 will be greater than 10k possibly closer to 11k or more (adjustable shocks, xenons, sportplus pack).
So that's my reasoning, not expecting everyone to agree but it's the man maths I've used to keep myself happy.

ps GolfDave - I saw your estate at the Tescos in Inverness last week, looked clean!

Last edited:

L3nnox

Ready to race!
I'll try :)
I currently have an M5 f10 and the lease finishes in October and I'm hopefully changing tactics again from a do everything to a "sensible" car and a more toy orientated one.

Thanks Scoobyc, I assume you managed to get one of the stonking good M5 deals that were out at the end of 2013. Cracking car.

I would class the Golf R estate as even more a "do everything" compared to the M5....

It's Defo an option for me, I love my 2014 GTD and the R would address my current issue I have with the GTD: space, pace and grace(traction).

And I agree blue is the colour....

But why the std rear lights???

And extra DRLs? (Ignore indicators!!! Doh)

http://youtu.be/UQu8ZBP9OVU

Last edited:

James75

Go Kart Champion
Surely VW could have found some pennies down the back of the settee to give the estate some specific LED tail lights?

Agree though - tempting car :)