GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R deciding on what 17" wheels to get

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
There are probably a ton of existing threads that discuss the subject line above, but I figured I'd start a new one to home in on the specific traits I'm after, listed from MOST to LEAST important, in finding some 17" wheels:
  • Dent-resistant, strong. The whole reason I'm downsizing is because NJ potholes are doing a job on my 19" Pretorias which I've already straightened... which at least gave me an excuse to powdercoat!
  • Popular enough that I have a decent chance at finding some used ones. I suspect this is atypical (most people want something unique) but I don't really care about that if I can get a good value instead. I might have a Golf R, but I was lucky to score it cheap before the used market went nuts! This is my dd, not a show car.
  • OE fitment: accepts spherical lug bolts, 57.1mm center bore to avoid rings, reasonable offset to avoid spacers, doesn't conflict with Golf R's big OEM brakes including balancing weights.
  • 17x8-8.5" so I can mount 235mm tires having about the same contact patch as my 19x8" Prets without getting into stretch/bulge. I will be mounting summer tires, as I have a totally separate snow tire setup. The snows are 18" (some old Detroits) which is how I know to skip directly to 17" this time around. I guess I could settle for 225mm on 17x7.5" but I do like a nice grippy launch now and then.
  • The lighter the better, but keep in mind priority #1 which is strength. This is my dd, not a track car.
Any ideas? Thanks!

blue.jpg

Last edited:

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
neuspeed RSe05 one of the first (only?) that comes to mind
I came across that a while ago actually, but there's been absolutely nothing used near me on facebook/craigslist/ebay for months, so I figured I'd see what else is popular. I appreciate it though.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Fast FC04
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for these. This ad looked so ideal for me (other than being all-seasons, not a dealbreaker though) until I saw the 5x108 bolt pattern!

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Apex SM10 in 17x8.5. You’d be better off with stock 235 width on an 8.5 inch wheel anyway.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
You’d be better off with stock 235 width on an 8.5 inch wheel anyway.
Good to know, thanks! OP updated accordingly.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Not sure of your budget, but they are releasing a forged option too. Would certainly help with your strength requirement.
Budget can be pretty flexible, I just don't want to shell out for things that don't matter (and new vs gently used doesn't matter to me, for example). As for how much strength matters, that's interesting, because although protection from potholes is 100% the impetus behind all of this, the 2" downsizing alone should take care of that quite a bit...

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Budget can be pretty flexible, I just don't want to shell out for things that don't matter (and new vs gently used doesn't matter to me, for example). As for how much strength matters, that's interesting, because although protection from potholes is 100% the impetus behind all of this, the 2" downsizing alone should take care of that quite a bit...
Agreed, I'm likely going to do the 17x9 for my Mk8 R, but may go 18x9 just because our roads aren't that bad. I just know I don't want 19s.

slipperywhenwet

Go Kart Newbie
Just picked up the Apex SM-10 in 17x9 and wrapped them in 245/45/17 Indy 500s. First drive done, no rubbing, and absolutely smoothed out the terrible winter beaten roads we have. They're meaty af, but lots of corner grip. Slightly heavier steering feel, but no tramlining so far.

Be warned that the fronts stick out quite a bit from the fenders, so if you don't already have mudflaps, you will definitely want them. Even the Rally Armor ones can't keep all of the spray off.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
After watching the used market for a while, I'm not really getting anywhere, so it's time to pivot: brand new! I played around on TireRack for a while and landed on the Enkei EDR9 (441-780-2645BK) as a nice weight/look/value sweet spot for me. ET45 will be a tasteful poke over the OEM ET50, and since I have 19lb Pretorias and 29lb Detroits, I know I'm fine with 22lb (really can't justify paying double to shave off a few pounds).

Now I just need to decide whether to wrap them in DWS06 or summers. I have separate winter wheels because I snowboard in VT/Canada but other than while I'm on those trips, I feel like all-seasons are practical for NJ given all the salt treatment, slush, cold but not storming, etc. when it's just barely winter... tough call. I guess the question is: just how much dry grip am I giving up if I get DWS06 instead of something like ECS (or PS4S)?

Last edited:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Summer tires are not fun under about 45 degrees and get damaged if exposed to freezing temps for too long. This is fine if you’re diligent about swapping back and forth with winters of just leave your winters on long enough to avoid cold, but if you can tough it out on winters, summers are nice.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Summer tires are not fun under about 45 degrees and get damaged if exposed to freezing temps for too long. This is fine if you’re diligent about swapping back and forth with winters of just leave your winters on long enough to avoid cold, but if you can tough it out on winters, summers are nice.
Yeah, for the past several years I've diligently swapped my summers (P-Zero PZ4) and winters (Blizzak), and it's just so hard in those shoulder seasons. Sometimes I'll put the winters on for a storm/trip and then burn them down when it's 55F and dry for weeks after, or sometimes I'll put on the summers because it's consistently warmer and BAM one last dump where safety becomes an issue. That's why I'm strongly considering good all-seasons like DWS06 (and the better treadwear rating is an added bonus) and I'm hoping it doesn't totally wreck launches and twisties.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, for the past several years I've diligently swapped my summers (P-Zero PZ4) and winters (Blizzak), and it's just so hard in those shoulder seasons. Sometimes I'll put the winters on for a storm/trip and then burn them down when it's 55F and dry for weeks after, or sometimes I'll put on the summers because it's consistently warmer and BAM one last dump where safety becomes an issue. That's why I'm strongly considering good all-seasons like DWS06 (and the better treadwear rating is an added bonus) and I'm hoping it doesn't totally wreck launches and twisties.
I had PZ4 on another car and Michelin AS4 on the GTI and there's not a huge delta between them. AS4 and EQT Stage 1 is fine and it is nice to not have to worry about cool weather sending you into the ditch. I actually kind of like the AS4 since with the 26mm rsb, you can get a little oversteer in non track driving situations, something that 200tw tires make much more difficult to access.