GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R deciding on what 17" wheels to get

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
I had PZ4 on another car and Michelin AS4 on the GTI and there's not a huge delta between them. AS4 and EQT Stage 1 is fine and it is nice to not have to worry about cool weather sending you into the ditch. I actually kind of like the AS4 since with the 26mm rsb, you can get a little oversteer in non track driving situations, something that 200tw tires make much more difficult to access.
Yeah I haven't had cool weather spook me too much (I know it's bad for the summer compound, but I never actually felt like traction was seriously impaired even if it's a tad below freezing) but the main thing I don't like is if I'm driving several hours in mild temps / dry roads and then get to my destination at altitude (ski hill with snow for a parking lot) because then I'm either wasting away my snow tires for 99% of the trip or I'm a stick of butter for the last 1% of the trip! Not to mention, the Blizzaks hydroplane like crazy in the wet due to lack of longitudinal sipes. So yeah I think I'll go with AS4, DWS06, or similar.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah I haven't had cool weather spook me too much (I know it's bad for the summer compound, but I never actually felt like traction was seriously impaired even if it's a tad below freezing) but the main thing I don't like is if I'm driving several hours in mild temps / dry roads and then get to my destination at altitude (ski hill with snow for a parking lot) because then I'm either wasting away my snow tires for 99% of the trip or I'm a stick of butter for the last 1% of the trip! Not to mention, the Blizzaks hydroplane like crazy in the wet due to lack of longitudinal sipes. So yeah I think I'll go with AS4, DWS06, or similar.
Check TireRack, there's a Goodyear that's better rated than either the Michelin or Conti. My issue with summer tires in the cold was from an older, rwd car with a short wheelbase, things got ugly in a hurry. But the GTI is so mild, it likely isn't nearly as much of an issue.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Check TireRack, there's a Goodyear that's better rated than either the Michelin or Conti.
Looks like they have two in the "Ultra High Performance All-Season" for 235/45R17: the "EAGLE SPORT ALL-SEASON" and the "EAGLE EXHILARATE" for $10 more. The Eagle Sport has better TW but the Eagle Exhilarate has the higher load rating. With my #1 concern being protection from potholes, I guess I'd go with the XL load rating. But both of these seem to have worse performance ratings than the DWS06...
My issue with summer tires in the cold was from an older, rwd car with a short wheelbase, things got ugly in a hurry. But the GTI is so mild, it likely isn't nearly as much of an issue.
And with the R, the Haldex AWD also helps a lot.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Ha, yeah, maybe it wasn't a Goodyear. I recall a tire that surprised me was better rated than either of the usual suspects, but clearly not a Goodyear.

yeahforbes

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R DSG
Lol no problem. I'm going to pull the trigger on the Conti's since the ratings are stellar and the ranking is #1 of 28 in the category (on Tire Rack). I'll be passing by their warehouse on Friday so I'll pick up, and I can cancel/modify between now and then if anyone thinks I'm making a bad choice :)