GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf GTD Group Test

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Good find. Cant say that I'm surprised :D.

James, off topic. But GTD related. Have been doing a fair bit of research & £ for £. A remap for my GTD is on the cards, not the silly px price that was offered to trade up to a Golf R.

Or an off the shelf remap or tuning box. Actual R&D on a custom map, that they still use on there mk7 GTD . Development of 3/4 wks + there own dyno to fine tune.. There GTD has covered 30,000 miles with no failures. My GTD will be px around this time, so it all sounds good.

Will post some more info closer to the time after the remap etc... The fact they use the car as a daily drive. And did the same to a mk6 GTD again as there daily drive, shows these guys really know there stuff.

Watch this space..........

Rappy :cool:

James75

Go Kart Champion
The group test contains the very two cars i would have considered other than a GTD - the V40 because I had a C30 and I loved that thing, Volvo's have a certain something but to me, the V40 in general is not the car it should have been and the Focus, it doesn't feel so special but you can't argue with the handling or price, so they would have been two to consider.

A remap for the GTD would be interesting. The way I see it, having driven the GTD now for a fair bit is that it's the torque that's it's defining driving characteristic, so it would be interesting to see how a remap changes/improves it. Top end speed never seems to matter in the GTD because for most day to day driving you're exploiting the large amount of Torque.

If I was going to trade up to an R, I'd be dong it because it is an R and I'd want to say, yes, i've owned one of those.

I hope everything is okay with the GTD since the accident?

James

ihmix

Ready to race!
That's a great article, so pleased we still have the king of the road. I do like the ST and would be very keen to have a test drive, to me the ST is trying just a little bit to hard, where as the golf is very subtle in its approach from styling to performance, I was shocked that the boot space in the golf came out on top because I think this is one of its only negatives. Would be interested in like for like costs of key replacement parts, clutch, discs, pads and such like.

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
James I agree. Mid range shove with a remap would be epic!!. Also interested, if I get chance to play with a Golf R. Not many cars would match a remapped GTD. They did carry out a GTD vs a remapped GTD & the results were staggering. A bit of a sleeper vs a Golf R. People know its a 300bhp 0-60 in less than 5 secs etc..

For me, when the mood takes me. Fast b roads & motorways, not traffic light grand prixs.

Car is great :cool:.It's a shame people don't heal so quick :(:mad:

James75

Go Kart Champion
The idea of a super fast diesel in the Golf class has t really surfaced yet. It would be interesting to see what kind of driving experience a GTD would offer. There were the rumours about Golf GTD R. I suspect that the stock GTD is faster than VW claim. There's an interesting video on YouTube were a stock GTD is posting a sub 7 sec 0 - 60 time. It would be interesting to see a GTD with around 220 - 230 bhp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
The idea of a super fast diesel in the Golf class has t really surfaced yet. It would be interesting to see what kind of driving experience a GTD would offer. There were the rumours about Golf GTD R. I suspect that the stock GTD is faster than VW claim. There's an interesting video on YouTube were a stock GTD is posting a sub 7 sec 0 - 60 time. It would be interesting to see a GTD with around 220 - 230 bhp.

The map mine will be getting is 220 + 501 nm torque.:D:D. Not sure if you remember from the previous thread. I was a passenger in such a car. From memory, I think his was running around 235 + 515 nm torque.

I never actually got to drive the car, but it was bloody quick.The first few gears were zero traction.

Not 100% sure if this was just the map being so aggressive or the driver.

I think he paid over £500.

You get to try before you buy :D. If I cant get the power down, I will have it put back to standard.

James75

Go Kart Champion
I do wonder about getting the power down - it's easy to spin the wheels now. Would be interested to know though. Extra power would scare me lol.

James75

Go Kart Champion
That wasn't really the point we were making. The point was if not driven properly it's easy to induce wheel spin - there's a lot of torque/power. So any more power could be difficult.

s7wag

Ready to race!
Good discussion..on the re-amp comments..my wife's TT TDI roadster is the PD170 with a Revo re-map which sits at 205hp/435nm. I know it's a quattro which makes a HUGE difference but overall driveability, traction, and power through the gears is awesome. Great daily driver but also exciting when you want to push it without all the fuss on losing traction. I've not got the DT tuning box permanently on mine yet but driving with the pedalbox still induces wheel spin much quicker..but get use to it and you can judge it just right with your foot. and mid-range torque without the tuning box is still superb :)

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
That wasn't really the point we were making. The point was if not driven properly it's easy to induce wheel spin - there's a lot of torque/power. So any more power could be difficult.

Just seen your reply :eek:

I agree James, but with the extra power you adjust to suit.