GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 1.4 TSI 122 Heavy oil consumption

karl1

Has anyone experienced large oil loss?

My 1.4 122 at 2500 miles had no oil showing on the dipstick, taken to dealer and they seemed shocked and topped it up and said check it after 500 miles and report back.
Well at 3000 miles again not showing any oil on dipstick, back to dealer and they thought it was excessive and topped up it again and it is booked in for investigation.
I have no blue smoke or oil patches on driveway.
A car I had a few years back that used that much oil was high milage and puffed blue smoke so I knew it was being burnt.
I hope it can be fixed else dealer will be giving me lots of oil!!
I will report back what they find...

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Worrying - so far mine doesn't seem to be using any at all, level pretty constant.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
FYI Our TSI 122 have consumed about 0,3 liter in 5000 km (aprox 3000 miles). Various usage including a winter holiday trip of 1400 km.

/Peter

Mummbles

Car(s)
Na
took mine back to the dealer at 2500kms with the oil showing very low on the dipstick.
they refilled with approx. 600ml of oil so the bottom to top of the dipstick is around 1l.
Not a lot in the scheme of things.
The manual states that it can consume 1l/2000kms (from memory) especially when new and being run in.
Yours does sound as though it is consuming oil excessively however.
Please keep us up to date on findings.

MisterB

Ready to race!
Yes, the car does consume quite a fair bit of oil when running in. Depending on your driving pattern, a top up is required anywhere between 5000 to 10000km.

I had mine topped up at 5151km.

VW Golf 132

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't know if this is a petrol thing but I have a diesel 1.6 mk7 and there is 24,000km on it now and it due it's second oil change soon and it HASNT USED A DROP OF OIL AT ALL, I always check for oil but the level never moves.

I drive it very gently to brake it in nicely. Cause if u drive hard with out braking it in, that's when it starts drinking oil.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Just checked mine - car has now done 801 miles, oil level perfect.

Ronin3

Ready to race!
Karl

Let us know the outcome of the investigative work done on your car.

At the moment I'm pretty sure you have a small leak somewhere and its ending up in the tray below the engine and not on the driveway.

Hope they sort it out for you.

VW Golf 132

Passed Driver's Ed
That cant be right,
fair enough diesel cars could consume oil a tiny bit, maybe up to 1L between service (15,000km)
But petrol cars never usually use oil, unless they are burning it, which will cause it to smoke or a leak somewhere.
Id be going straight bk to the garage and getting it sorted.

karl1

Thank you all for responding it does look like its not normal.

Dealer has had it and inspected it and found no leaks and they tried to fob me off with 'these engines do burn a bit' I responded but not over 5 times what the user manual would suggest at which point the service manager then agreed it was excessive and said they would do a process called an oil consumption test and send the result to VW technical UK and see what they said.
the oil was topped up by another 500ml after only 300 miles..
It was booked in for this oil consumption test and two other faults.
Yesterday the 2 faults were fixed and they then said we have found no leaks and the oil consumption is normal for this engine at which point I said what has happened to the planned test and they said errr we ran out of time today and then said about consulting a senior tech.
I said I was not happy as it seemed like they were not taking the issue seriously. He called back and said they had rechecked the level and it had dropped quite a bit and this was in less than 200 miles. They said this needed further investigation and needed to keep the car another day, so I agreed.
So now mine has now been topped up by over 3.5 litres and its done 3700 miles...

karl1

I have promising news... Dealer called back not long ago and said they have located the fault, it would appear it does not burn oil when stationary but does burn oil when in motion and linked this to a valve and have ordered a replacement part for next week.
Assuming this fixes the issue which I assume they will re-test after replacing the valve I will ask exactly which part this is and what it does and report back.
I will update next week...

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
That was good news. Hope they are on the right track.
Interesting to know about what solution they have.

/Peter

karl1

Good News, Dealer called today and said part had been sent express and it has been fitted and has resolved the issue following testing.

The part is described as a Valve timing regulator which was leaking oil into the area under the cam cover(so thats where it was going!) but only if in motion. Fitting a replacement valve and the same tests showed no oil under cam cover at all..

So a result eventually...

I will be checking the level though after 500 miles just to be sure...

So got my Golf back today rather than next tuesday which is better service from the dealer...