GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gimme some advice people!

jerrymk6

Ready to race!
So im planning on making a big move. I currently live in new jersey. I been thinking about moving out to florida to attend college. My father lives there so id have a place to stay. Im jut a little nervous about the culture shock. I've been there many times before but its different when ur going on a vacation and your going there to live. At the same time most of my family is over here. I always wanted to try florida though the roads are smooth and always clean and the car scene is alive over there year round. not to mention they have some great colleges that fit my major. So what do u guys and girls think about florida? Any one ever make the move from NJ To FL ? :wosschilder980::happyanim:

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Blow this popsicle stand and move to Florida.

In all seriousness you should definitely go down. Go to a college where you don't have bad winters... You'll enjoy it more than up here. It will be a new experience. I say go for it.

dodecadynamo

Ready to race!
I've lived in the DC area (both VA and MD), Philadelphia, Miami area, and Chicago. I would not wish Miami on my worst enemy. It is consistently muggy/humid and most of the population there is...less than pleasant. If you are going, I would stick with the Gulf side. Also, what people tend to forget about Florida is that it is the "Deep South." People tend to think of it as a separate thing from Alabama/Mississippi/Georgia but it really is not. Wasn't an issue for me but some find that a bit of a shock culturally/socially/politically. This may be less prevalent if you're on a University campus, but if you are somewhere like Gainesville (UF), expect it to hold true if and when you leave campus.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
So im planning on making a big move. I currently live in new jersey. I been thinking about moving out to florida to attend college. My father lives there so id have a place to stay. Im jut a little nervous about the culture shock. I've been there many times before but its different when ur going on a vacation and your going there to live. At the same time most of my family is over here. I always wanted to try florida though the roads are smooth and always clean and the car scene is alive over there year round. not to mention they have some great colleges that fit my major. So what do u guys and girls think about florida? Any one ever make the move from NJ To FL ? :wosschilder980::happyanim:

*You're. You.

You're going to college. Better brush up on your writing skills. :)

Seriously, do it. Now's the time to experience new places, while you're young. And you'll have a support base with your family. Good luck!:thumbsup:

I've lived in the DC area (both VA and MD), Philadelphia, Miami area, and Chicago. I would not wish Miami on my worst enemy. It is consistently muggy/humid and most of the population there is...less than pleasant. If you are going, I would stick with the Gulf side. Also, what people tend to forget about Florida is that it is the "Deep South." People tend to think of it as a separate thing from Alabama/Mississippi/Georgia but it really is not. Wasn't an issue for me but some find that a bit of a shock culturally/socially/politically. This may be less prevalent if you're on a University campus, but if you are somewhere like Gainesville (UF), expect it to hold true if and when you leave campus.

12dynamo makes a good point about the culture shock of Florida/deep south. It's real. Just something to keep in mind.

D Griff

Go Kart Champion

Dafuq? I grew up in North Carolina and went to college in Miami and you've got it all wrong. SFL is not the south culturally at all. The west coast it retirement city but very beautiful. The east coast is basically American cuba. I lived in Miami for almost five years and it was a culture shock at first but definitely not southern in any way shape or form... as a matter of fact I find it to be much more similar to NY/NJ than to NC/SC/GA etc.

*You're. You.

You're going to college. Better brush up on your writing skills. :)

Seriously, do it. Now's the time to experience new places, while you're young. And you'll have a support base with your family. Good luck!:thumbsup:

:word:

OP, I say go for it. It is hot and muggy sometimes but FL is beautiful, has amazing "winters" and can be a ton of fun. It will definitely be a culture shock at first, but I bet you'll make great friends and really learn to enjoy it.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I'm from FL, born and raised. Anything South of I-10 and you're no longer in the "South". Exception being Polk county which is redneck central.

I go back every year (Orlando area) and miss it but no way I'd live there again - but thankful I had the experiences.

dodecadynamo

Ready to race!
Dafuq? I grew up in North Carolina and went to college in Miami and you've got it all wrong. SFL is not the south culturally at all. The west coast it retirement city but very beautiful. The east coast is basically American cuba. I lived in Miami for almost five years and it was a culture shock at first but definitely not southern in any way shape or form... as a matter of fact I find it to be much more similar to NY/NJ than to NC/SC/GA etc.

I was not saying Miami/SFL is culturally "southern," which is why I mentioned the Miami area separate from the rest of Florida, and specifically mentioned Gainesville when talking about "southern-ness." Miami is NOT southern, I agree. It is agressively AWFUL, but not southern.

StigsFatAmericanCousin

Ready to race!
The more North you go in Florida, the more "south" it gets. I haven't lived in NJ but have been there several times for work. Never had any culture shock. Depends where in Florida you go though. Miami is north Cuba, Gainesville is good ole boys, most of it is sleepy towns where the snowbirds visit.

Roads are smooth but boring.