GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Front Plate holes

fudsey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 MkV GTI
I am considering getting a Mk7 GTI and am wondering if anyone has gotten one without front plate holes? Is is even possible?

I like the looks of the front end without the plate in the middle of the bumper and would rather not have it there.

Any pics would be great to see your front :)

acapvwgti

Ready to race!
My first mk7 was to be delivered on 6/13 but the stupid dealer drilled the front plate after I expressed several times I wouldn't buy it if it they did. And they did by accident. They called me the next day with another one and my first color choice black ! This time they knew better

Valvecap

Silly question... If I don't get holes drilled how should I ask the dealer to attach em -
Never bought a new car so learning as i go. Is drilling the holes bad?

darthaus

It's not bad per se to get them drilled. It's more of a preference. You could have them zip tie it temporarily until you figure out a way to mount it.
There's a tread somewhere about a mount that attaches to the tow hook hole.

Tahiti1

Passed Driver's Ed
This is an interesting post. I understood that the bumper came pre-drilled so thanks for the info.

acapvwgti

Ready to race!
It's not bad per se to get them drilled. It's more of a preference. You could have them zip tie it temporarily until you figure out a way to mount it.
There's a tread somewhere about a mount that attaches to the tow hook hole.

It's bad to get them drilled if you don't want the plate. It's 3 holes plus 2 indents from the 2 screws used to hold the plate to the bracket. Pretty ugly if and when the plate comes off.

JerseyGTI1

Ready to race!
You can google US mills works they have no hole plate frames that screw into the tow frame hitch, they are very good quality I have one on my mk7 I'll take a picture in a bit to show ya

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
The bumper doesn't come pre-drilled, that's done during dealer prep. There are license plate holders that attach to the tow hook receptacle -- that's what I'm planning on doing when I get my MK7.

BleezyD

Ready to race!
Thankfully, I was able to stop my dealer from drilling holes in my autobahn. I would of been so pissed.

acapvwgti

Ready to race!
I made the mistake of trusting my dealer and they drilled holes in my night blue. I cancelled the deal and when they said they could get black(benefits of living in a state with an active port) I said great!

Lol went to the dealership walked into the service bay went into the glove box pulled out the plate bracket and did this

Now all my cars look the same lol

fudsey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 MkV GTI
Thanks for the reply's, I really don't want a plate mounted on the bumper and if they do it, it's a deal breaker for me. I would love to see that towhook mount.

Found that site and I LOVE the idea of this. Wish they had a pic of the Mk7 with it though. http://www.usmillworks.com/vw.html

Last edited:

fudsey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 MkV GTI
I got a dealer to get me a TR Manual SE w/ Lighting pkg before they drilled the holes. It should be arriving in a week or so. Around here they do the prep at the dock, so all cars are drilled before they get to the dealer unless they catch them before the prep.

And here's a pic of the tow hook bracket on a Mk7 from http://www.usmillworks.com/vw.html granted this one looks like it was drilled already...