GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Formula 1

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
That kid is unreal. Him and his teammate actually, both just kids really but especially Max. His dad must really be giving him some great advice because I respected the way he defended himself against Massa during that press conference. Did you remember that one? Kid turned it on him saying he should have looked at last year's race (Massa incident). OH!!! LOL!

Yeah, Bernie needs to pack it up already. The sport needs different management for sure. The strategy group is definitely something that's not working and needs heavy changes or just removed completely. Every team has their own motivations and they'll never agree to keep things even.

Micheline is submitting their bids next month so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. I kinda fancy a tire war. ;)

Your predictions for Silverstone? Hamilton will be extra motivated.

I didn't see that press con, but he's got fire in him. Jos, in his prime, was never really THAT good, but he's got the talent for sure! Did you see Brundle's interview with him pre-race in Austria? He wished it would rain "coz it would be more fun" ...shades of Senna haha

I personally want a cost cap - gets all teams back on the same level. That + some minor rule tweaks, V10's pushing 1000hp and and no launch control will show us what F1 is all about.

Can't wait for Silverstone! But I gotta say, I didn't see Lewis "race" in Austria. He lost the first corner to Rosberg and never really challenged him after that. I'm a Lewis fan, but I was quite disappointed with how he drove.

Resolute Blue

Passed Driver's Ed
You're right, Lewis was a ghost during the race. That penalty didn't help either.

I did see that interview with Brunny and enjoyed seeing that kind of eagerness in a driver. Kimi on the other hand seems to have lost some drive (emotionally). This year seems to be his resume for a new contract and he looks like he's not fully invested. I'm probably wrong but that's just the sense I'm getting.

V10's would be great but I doubt we'll see them again. I do hope for some better sound come next year because I'll be at the US GP in Austin (if it's still there next year). I actually submitted an application to volunteer for this year's race in October. Fingers crossed I get to do something right next to the circuit.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
You're right, Lewis was a ghost during the race. That penalty didn't help either.

I did see that interview with Brunny and enjoyed seeing that kind of eagerness in a driver. Kimi on the other hand seems to have lost some drive (emotionally). This year seems to be his resume for a new contract and he looks like he's not fully invested. I'm probably wrong but that's just the sense I'm getting.

V10's would be great but I doubt we'll see them again. I do hope for some better sound come next year because I'll be at the US GP in Austin (if it's still there next year). I actually submitted an application to volunteer for this year's race in October. Fingers crossed I get to do something right next to the circuit.

Lewis didn't show up for that race. Halfway through the race, he was already +4/5sec from Rosberg. That's not like him. I honestly thought, the penalty would light a fire in his ass to make it up, but he was never a factor. You kinda saw it in parc ferme, he shook and hugged Rosberg. He NEVER does that sans on the podium LOL.

Remember, Vettel's "multi 21 saga"? Part of me hates him for what he did (to Webber), but a bigger part of me loves the fact he raced and thought like a racer. I always think, what would Senna have done = Race Prost! And sometimes, hit him after the first corner Japan :D

Max has the drive! Maybe (Helmut) Marko should just make STR the main team haha.

You're right about Kimi. I don't see his passion anymore. Not that it was ever visible lol. But at least for other Fins like Hakkinen and Keke, you saw it when they drove. I say, dump him for Bottas (as the rumors suggest) and, along with Vettel, that would be an awesome team!

At least you get to volunteer! Canada's race is all the way across the country from me :( Austin is actually closer hahaha. Maybe I'll come down one season and we can go for a beer! :D 2016 and Haas is sure to keep that on that calendar!

Last edited:

Resolute Blue

Passed Driver's Ed
My god... Bottas and Vettel on the same team? That would make a fantastic 2016 season! But if they do drop Kimi and he stays in F1 where would he go? Damn, what a coup that would be if HAAS got him in one of their seats? Mind = blown if that happens.

That 21 "saga" was typical of any true racer. I can't imagine the likes of Sena listening to an order like that. I think Webber understood it but of course he was not going to like it. I do miss having him (Webber) in an F1 seat. Screw it, Webber and Kimi with HAAS F1? Hahaha! Epic!

Yeah I'm in San Antonio so the COTA is practically a stone's throw away. If you do come down for the GP I'll deff buy ya a beer or two!

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Re. Kimi. I don't know man. He somehow can't adapt to the new cars. He did well under Lotus when he came back. Then Ferrari happened, new rules, cars, less downforce, more tq...etc and he just can't drive them as well. And this is even despite the "new" Ferrari resurgence post-Montezemolo. Hmmm...Williams maybe? Swap with Bottas :) At least he's going to a team with their groove back!

Be interesting to see if Red Bull willtake Marchionne's offer to be their engine supplier if they split with Renault. A tire war between Pirelli and Michelin would be great, but Michelin were the guys who didn't run at Indy that one year lol.

Silverstone will be good coz it's a balanced track. Belgian and Monza will stink coz Merc will dominate again. Can't wait for Singapore - narrow street track like Monaco, but with more overtaking opps. Your predictions for the British GP are...?

Think Patrick will race for Haas? Does she even have her superlicence yet? I'll take you on for those beers if I ever come down!

Last edited:

Resolute Blue

Passed Driver's Ed
Under the updated superlicence rules I don't think she'll qualify for one. I can't predict who will fill up their seats but I know there are hungry drivers out there for sure. Jean-Eric Vergne off the top of my head could be a great option. I think he's too good to stay a test driver.

Silverstone it'll be number 44 taking first with Nico in second. Third place is up in the air as usual but I it'll come down to either a Ferrari or Williams car.

It's fun sharing opinions on F1, hardly anyone I know really appreciates it. Just for fun I'll share a few GIFs I created from last year's season.

Alonso running clear of his stop:

Merc stormtroopers

LIGHTS OUT!

OUCH!

Lewis and Nico = BFF!

Respect for Nico. Team asks him to retire but he wants to finish out the final laps.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Agreed on JEV, but also Magnussen. The lure of Alonso was too great to pass up for McLaren's new (and severely flawed) chapter.

Love the GIFs! That Grojean pit overshoot was Spain 2015. I know it was 2013, but Lewis going in McLaren's pit box in his Merc was priceless HAHA.

I'm just glad Williams is back. Spent too many years as midfield for such a great team. Then again who would've thought Macca would become backmarkers.

Resolute Blue

Passed Driver's Ed
Shoot, that's right. That overshoot was this year. I forgot I actually made a couple from this year, good catch!

I forgot about Lewis going into McLaren's box! Massa did the same recently but I forgot who's box it was he entered. Bit of fun, bit of fun.

Yeah, a strong Williams team is always great to watch. Teams rise and fall in F1 so often I forget the number of failed teams. That's why I'm so pumped for HAAS entering the sport, especially knowing they'll be running with Ferrari power.

Man, seeing how many changes we'll see in 2016 I'm kinda wishing this one would quickly end already so we can see a better McLaren-Honda, HAAS F1, new engine for Red Bull maybe and louder engines. But I'm still glad I have something to keep me entertained during the summer break until football (soccer) comes back in August.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Speaking of pit stops, remember when Ferrari went to a digital lollipop to "minimize" human error? Then during a race, it malfunctioned telling Massa to go when he shouldn't have and took the fuel hose with him? I prefer the Ferrari of today - quite more humble. Luca had built them into the most arrogant team on the grid - mainly coz he's an arrogant SOB himself.

Despite being a Lewis (therefore Merc) fan, I want a Williams Martini Racing jacket one day!!! Along with classic BRG and Gulf Racing, it's got to be one of the classiest liveries in motorsport. I saw a white Porsche GT3 in a local mall one time with Martini stripes running the length of the car. SO SEXY! After I saw it, I immediately regretted my red GTI LOL.

But you're right. F1 is so unpredictable. But at the same time, the dominating team tends to dominate for a few/several years which I hate. I'm glued to this season and last because of the Lewis/Nico battle. But I wish it wasn't only Vettel who could challenged them. Next year should change things! I'd really like to see Bottas win. And, if Max can get into a top-tier team, he'll win tons!

I've never seen a race live :( but I can't stand the fart sounds these v6 turbo motors make when they break HAHAHA.

Last edited:

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I'd love to see an F1 race live. I've seen a few Indy Car races and I loved them. Pretty much like them both equally.

Resolute Blue

Passed Driver's Ed
Speaking of pit stops, remember when Ferrari went to a digital lollipop to "minimize" human error? Then during a race, it malfunctioned telling Massa to go when he shouldn't have and took the fuel hose with him? I prefer the Ferrari of today - quite more humble. Luca had built them into the most arrogant team on the grid - mainly coz he's an arrogant SOB himself.

Despite being a Lewis (therefore Merc) fan, I want a Williams Martini Racing jacket one day!!! Along with classic BRG and Gulf Racing, it's got to be one of the classiest liveries in motorsport. I saw a white Porsche GT3 in a local mall one time with Martini stripes running the length of the car. SO SEXY! After I saw it, I immediately regretted my red GTI LOL.

But you're right. F1 is so unpredictable. But at the same time, the dominating team tends to dominate for a few/several years which I hate. I'm glued to this season and last because of the Lewis/Nico battle. But I wish it wasn't only Vettel who could challenged them. Next year should change things! I'd really like to see Bottas win. And, if Max can get into a top-tier team, he'll win tons!

I've never seen a race live :( but I can't stand the fart sounds these v6 turbo motors make when they break HAHAHA.

Oh that Martini livery is just nice! I'm definitely getting a Bottas cap here soon and a polo shirt if I can find my size.

You're spot on about Ferrari. I really like Arrivabene, he's such a cool guy. He's class but he's super humble and he avoided Massa's car last week like a smooth playa, you saw it? Haha!

The farting sounds coming outta these engines is just comical. That's why if I don't get a volunteer gig at this year's USGP it wont be a big loss because I'll attend next year (3-day pass!) and hopefully enjoy some better sound.

Pastor's been cleaning up his act lately, have you noticed that? And he's collecting some decent points so far. Good for Lotus all around. Still feeling gutted over this Honda mess. You don't like seeing two world champions going through this debacle.

Resolute Blue

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd love to see an F1 race live. I've seen a few Indy Car races and I loved them. Pretty much like them both equally.

Rumors suggested they're trying to revive a USGP in New York/NJ which isn't terribly far from you in DE. The last time it was meant to be on the calendar it fell through because they couldn't secure the financial backing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EWTp0Xfksg

As a San Antonio resident I hope they keep the GP at the COTA for a long time! ;)

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Rumors suggested they're trying to revive a USGP in New York/NJ which isn't terribly far from you in DE. The last time it was meant to be on the calendar it fell through because they couldn't secure the financial backing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EWTp0Xfksg

As a San Antonio resident I hope they keep the GP at the COTA for a long time! ;)

I heard that rumor. I would love to see something around here again.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R

I once saw the Molson Indy Vancouver from a far. Just above the sky line right over where the race was being held in the city, you could see a cloud of black/brown stuff LOL. The sounds were amazing in person!

Oh that Martini livery is just nice! I'm definitely getting a Bottas cap here soon and a polo shirt if I can find my size.

You're spot on about Ferrari. I really like Arrivabene, he's such a cool guy. He's class but he's super humble and he avoided Massa's car last week like a smooth playa, you saw it? Haha!

The farting sounds coming outta these engines is just comical. That's why if I don't get a volunteer gig at this year's USGP it wont be a big loss because I'll attend next year (3-day pass!) and hopefully enjoy some better sound.

Pastor's been cleaning up his act lately, have you noticed that? And he's collecting some decent points so far. Good for Lotus all around. Still feeling gutted over this Honda mess. You don't like seeing two world champions going through this debacle.

I didn't the Massa incident you described. What happened?

I think it was Ericsson when he lost drive all of a sudden, his car started farting as it slowed down HAHAHAHA. But I guess F1 today is more accessible by the younger generation (as in kids) for not being too loud anymore. And with race attendance/TV viewership at an all-time low, F1 NEEDS these kids to keep the interest for future generations. Bernie's comments about not needing to adapt to changing times is a sign he has to go!

Pastor and Romain both are cleaning up their act. Grosjean inches from taking Alonso's head off still makes my jaw drop every time I watch it on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syp-nF9dbSs

...then to see Alonso inches away from Kimi's head...:eek:

Honda's mess is attributed to the limited off season testing and, I personally think, Dennis' growing arrogance. I was hoping for more especially after the fact you've got two world champions driving for you, one of which is probably one of the most complete drivers in F1 and a promo commercial inspired by Back to the Future HAHA.

Imagine, an F1 street race in DT NY LOL

What does a volunteer get to do? Wave flags, I hope :D

Resolute Blue

Passed Driver's Ed
I'll wave flags, pick debris, pass out water, whatever gets me next to the track!

That Grosjean miss was scary. Kimi almost had the same experience with Alonso ironically on Sunday, didn't he? Some crashes are entertaining and others, like Jules Bianchi, are just sickening. I keep thinking about him and Schumacher at some point during the GP weekend.

Here's the near miss with Massa: