GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Forge Diverter Valve upgrade or IE Intake

Thenyquilbandit

Car(s)
2015 GTI
I have the IE v3 intake without the cover and it is definitely a noticable sound even over my open exhaust. But as everyone is saying it isn't a proformace increase just sound really. It was $350 and worth the sound only if you got the money to blow 🤣🤣

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
"I dont know anything about these cars"

*proceeds to write a long post recommending parts based on a different platform*

Gonna be fun having you here eh?

lol, well, depends how you interpreted my post. I meant I didn't know anything about this particular MK7 platform but I'm well versed on the mk6, owning my previous one for 6 years and just about modding every part in the car. With that said, I'm just excited to join the community here so I'm giving my 2cents based on the mk6 and how it was. I'm sure these aren't THAT much different.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
lol, well, depends how you interpreted my post. I meant I didn't know anything about this particular MK7 platform but I'm well versed on the mk6, owning my previous one for 6 years and just about modding every part in the car. With that said, I'm just excited to join the community here so I'm giving my 2cents based on the mk6 and how it was. I'm sure these aren't THAT much different.
i still have my mk6... basically the changes are - all the things that plague the gen1 E888 are fixed on this platform, haha : DV holds boost in the mid 30s still, you don't NEED a catch can, coils don't prematurely give out, intake manifold do just "break" at 50k, cam guides don't break, factory clutch still weak though lol

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI

They’re different platforms. The MK7’s EA888 Gen 3 addressed 95-98% of the design flaws with the Gen 2. The stock DV + intake are fine, and with these cars’ ability to push so much power from stock turbos (Stage 1 MK7 isn’t too far from a K04 MK6), an IC is generally considered one of the most important upgrades, even at Stage 1 power levels.

You can get one good WOT run on the stock IC before it’s knock-retard city.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
They’re different platforms. The MK7’s EA888 Gen 3 addressed 95-98% of the design flaws with the Gen 2. The stock DV + intake are fine, and with these cars’ ability to push so much power from stock turbos (Stage 1 MK7 isn’t too far from a K04 MK6), an IC is generally considered one of the most important upgrades, even at Stage 1 power levels.

You can get one good WOT run on the stock IC before it’s knock-retard city.

Gotcha. Good to know.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I dont think the MK6 had as much of an intercooler dependency - party because the boost was lower and the power was lower and I think party because of SAI and the new more efficient exhaust system. The turbo runs hotter due the higher EGT.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
Someone else is paying. R600 is a damn good intake.

I am wondering why are people speak so highly of this intake also - if they just give a couple of HP - 10 maybe you are tuned.
It's not loud also. OEM+ looks?

IE sounds great, but then again like some said after awhile you get tired of the sound.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
I am wondering why are people speak so highly of this intake also - if they just give a couple of HP - 10 maybe you are tuned.
It's not loud also. OEM+ looks?

IE sounds great, but then again like some said after awhile you get tired of the sound.

I've heard it makes a *unique* induction sound, but can't speak from exp.

I agree OP should go IC. I can't wait to.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
i still have my mk6... basically the changes are - all the things that plague the gen1 E888 are fixed on this platform, haha : DV holds boost in the mid 30s still, you don't NEED a catch can, coils don't prematurely give out, intake manifold do just "break" at 50k, cam guides don't break, factory clutch still weak though lol

The intake manifolds just break at 50k? Was that a typo that should have said "don't"?

Speaking of clutches, you had your replacement replaced? How is this one working out?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
The intake manifolds just break at 50k? Was that a typo that should have said "don't"?

Speaking of clutches, you had your replacement replaced? How is this one working out?

He meant to say “don’t.” The intake manifolds failed on the MK6, the timing chain tensioner failed, the water pump failed, the clutch TOB failed... I’m sure there’s more good stuff I’m missing.

MK6 was a pretty unreliable platform with lots of factory design flaws/manufacturing defects, many of which were never truly addressed before the generation phased out for MK7’s.

Based on how few of those issues affect the Gen 3 EA888, id bet VW just focused on applying the lessons-learned toward the next-Gen, rather than taking remediation efforts of the present-Gen seriously.

Same thing that happened with the MK7 wagons - they never appeared to put much effort into FIXING the design/manufacturing flaws in the panos. They just dumped the whole product line since it was already a niche

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

yeah, they just fail... throws a code and starts missing - P2015 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/ Performance Bank 1- and changing the whole unit often is the only way to fix it... VWOA replaced MANY cars manifolds as long as they were under 60k, i got lucky and the first time it happened i was at 58k, second time was at 110k on my dime.

yeah the DMK twin disc is in the car now...like 2k on it. Cant say i love it, being twin discs it seems to take a little longer to engage/disengage unless you really speed up the rate that you press clutch pedal down, pedal feel is a good bit stiffer than stock but expected. It likes to grab hard (great when romping on it and banging gears) but calm driving it takes a pretty slow clutch release on 1st and 1st to 2nd especially to be a smooth shift, and i hate the idea that I'm wearing the disc by riding it extra lol. only part i liked about the other clutch better was the pedal feel.

oh also its noisy - so when i switched it in I also had them add motul gear oil, (zero chatter unless AC was on) but removed it after break in cause i didn't like how it made the shifts feel at all went back to oem high performance oil. Shifts feel way better to me, but it did create a more noticeable chatter when the car idles under 850rpms, also its noisy at lower rpms when driving, but I blame the dogbone insert and mounts for that. i still need to install the fluid damper that's in the garage though too!!

the pros is that it grabs and puts all the power down great and instant, revs quick, doesn't mind an 4k launch or a 24psi+ brake boost on the highway at all (tires being at -5 camber do though, haha)

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
yeah, they just fail... throws a code and starts missing - P2015 Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit Range/ Performance Bank 1- and changing the whole unit often is the only way to fix it... VWOA replaced MANY cars manifolds as long as they were under 60k, i got lucky and the first time it happened i was at 58k, second time was at 110k on my dime.

yeah the DMK twin disc is in the car now...like 2k on it. Cant say i love it, being twin discs it seems to take a little longer to engage/disengage unless you really speed up the rate that you press clutch pedal down, pedal feel is a good bit stiffer than stock but expected. It likes to grab hard (great when romping on it and banging gears) but calm driving it takes a pretty slow clutch release on 1st and 1st to 2nd especially to be a smooth shift, and i hate the idea that I'm wearing the disc by riding it extra lol. only part i liked about the other clutch better was the pedal feel.

oh also its noisy - so when i switched it in I also had them add motul gear oil, (zero chatter unless AC was on) but removed it after break in cause i didn't like how it made the shifts feel at all went back to oem high performance oil. Shifts feel way better to me, but it did create a more noticeable chatter when the car idles under 850rpms, also its noisy at lower rpms when driving, but I blame the dogbone insert and mounts for that. i still need to install the fluid damper that's in the garage though too!!

the pros is that it grabs and puts all the power down great and instant, revs quick, doesn't mind an 4k launch or a 24psi+ brake boost on the highway at all (tires being at -5 camber do though, haha)

Isn’t this the crank-walk-clutch?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Isn’t this the crank-walk-clutch?
Sure... but also so is southbend stage 3 as well as stock by that theory.

More so this is the clutch that went through 4-5 TOB revisions cause the first few selections had many people having to re-drop the trans right away.