GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Forge Diverter Valve upgrade or IE Intake

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
someone is buying... ;)

both I dont really "NEED/HAVE" to have. but if u can choose which one would u take?
6MT w/ APR stage1 here.

From sound perspective, which one is best bang for the buck?
DV would allow me for more stable boost hold?

the rice in me would wanna go for intake...

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
Hey man. Not sure what's with the intercooler responses above, lol. My mk6 knowledge only had us upgrading Intercooler when going K04 and was never brought up once until that unless you are in a heat soaked state/country.

With the two choices you provided, the diverter valve is supposed to hold the boost longer before "cutting" off. I'm not sure how beneficial it is on this car. I mean, I understand the benefits of having it, I just don't know how much it plays into the Mk7. I got it early on with my GTI probably while on Stage 1 and I can't say it made a HUGE noticeable difference.

The intake will definitely give you a nice sound but if you have a loud exhaust, it might block some of that intake sound. Something I did on the mk6 as I was told it wouldn't have any effect on the hood paint, is removing the under hood shroud cover. I did notice I could hear everything a lot more refined once I took it off... All a sudden the intake become a lot more noticeable when I was getting on it. Again, probably no noticeable increase performance with the Intake but the sound was worth the upgrade in the end and required for the Stage 1+ upgrade :)

Still have no clue on these cars yet as this is my 3rd post ever and did not prior research on them, lol.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
To answer your actual question, as I personally have ran both items on my mk7...

the forge BOV (the dv versions Give no added noise or performance benefit over stock on this platform) Is going to give you a super loud unique “psh” when you let off throttle after boost is built, the IE intake Will definitely make the DV should audible but it won’t be as loud as a BOV, with the IE intake in specifics the velocity stack design they use aids in creating a very loud “sucking” sound that’s fun but was unpleasant for me in the end.

to be noted *im now running and injen CLOSED intake system and the stock DV (my tune didn’t work well with the BOV) but other wise for me prefer the BOV, and would say look in the classified here and just buy one pre-owned to save some money... they are listed for sale often.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
fwiw, you can get a performance intake and remove snow guard for 55$ and its the same performance wise as a 400$ intake, just maybe not as loud. I have a cts intake open and its still not that loud. the bov is the way to go if your really looking for noise

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
The OEM diverter valve is good for anything up to 400HP, and even past that point. Many argue it is detrimental to “upgrade” the OEM DV as its function is directly tied to ECU boost control safeties, and aftermarket units simply don’t function the same way.

Get the intake

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
the BOV is definitely not my cup of tea. comments regarding the DV indicates i really dont need to mess with it.
just realized the R600 is on sale - for $340 ish... may get that instead then, I already have a drop in and snow guard removed btw.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
the BOV is definitely not my cup of tea. comments regarding the DV indicates i really dont need to mess with it.
just realized the R600 is on sale - for $340 ish... may get that instead then, I already have a drop in and snow guard removed btw.

$340 for maybe a couple of HP more?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
If you are looking for sound, the r600 won’t be it... OPEN intakes make sound, closed are very close to stock with drop in.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Hey man. Not sure what's with the intercooler responses above, lol. My mk6 knowledge only had us upgrading Intercooler when going K04 and was never brought up once until that unless you are in a heat soaked state/country.

With the two choices you provided, the diverter valve is supposed to hold the boost longer before "cutting" off. I'm not sure how beneficial it is on this car. I mean, I understand the benefits of having it, I just don't know how much it plays into the Mk7. I got it early on with my GTI probably while on Stage 1 and I can't say it made a HUGE noticeable difference.

The intake will definitely give you a nice sound but if you have a loud exhaust, it might block some of that intake sound. Something I did on the mk6 as I was told it wouldn't have any effect on the hood paint, is removing the under hood shroud cover. I did notice I could hear everything a lot more refined once I took it off... All a sudden the intake become a lot more noticeable when I was getting on it. Again, probably no noticeable increase performance with the Intake but the sound was worth the upgrade in the end and required for the Stage 1+ upgrade :)

Still have no clue on these cars yet as this is my 3rd post ever and did not prior research on them, lol.

"I dont know anything about these cars"

*proceeds to write a long post recommending parts based on a different platform*

Gonna be fun having you here eh?