GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

For all you automated home people out there...

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
Can't you or an electrician simply wire in a 3 way switch? The extra wire goes through existing conduit, you'd just have to install another switch somewhere at the bottom of the stairs.

For those who may not know, a 3 way switch is a setup where 2 wall switches both operate the same light. So you could turn on the light at the top of the stairs and turn it off at the bottom, and vice versa. There's really very little wiring to do. If you're handy enough to do any sort of DIY on your car, you can wire up a 3 way switch in your house. I'm sure there are tons of tutorials on line. Total cost if you do it yourself would probably be less than $25.

Running wire in existing walls isn't really a DIY for a novice.

OP, is the stairwell framed up and drywalled?

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
Can't you or an electrician simply wire in a 3 way switch? The extra wire goes through existing conduit, you'd just have to install another switch somewhere at the bottom of the stairs.

For those who may not know, a 3 way switch is a setup where 2 wall switches both operate the same light. So you could turn on the light at the top of the stairs and turn it off at the bottom, and vice versa. There's really very little wiring to do. If you're handy enough to do any sort of DIY on your car, you can wire up a 3 way switch in your house. I'm sure there are tons of tutorials on line. Total cost if you do it yourself would probably be less than $25.

No idea. I think the electrician said the way the wiring was done in the walls, it would require a ton of work to have a 3-way switch put in.

Off topic, but how much is an apartment where you're at?
Ugh, if I wanted to live in something semi-nice where I'm not getting eaten alive by some cockroaches, it would be close to like $800-$1200/month. And that's not including utilities. Probably more. I really don't want to have roommates. My best bet is to wait and see if I can share a one bedroom with a special someone.

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
^ lol, the lamp doesn't solve the problem. I would still have to find the lamp to turn it on, plus there's no outlet at the bottom of the stairs. Unless I used one of those automatic WiFi thingy things.

WAP

Go Kart Champion

I've done, like, 3 of them and I'm a novice. But yea, everyone has different skill sets, for sure.

If you don't know if the wall is framed and drywalled or not, buy a lamp.

But if this, then yea, lamp.

nuggstein

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
I've done, like, 3 of them and I'm a novice. But yea, everyone has different skill sets, for sure.

But if this, then yea, lamp.

nuggstein

You tore down drywall and cut holes in studs and then re hung drywall just to add a 3 way?

Most novices don't have the tools to do that on hand.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
^It can be done with minimal destruction to drywall. Keyhole saw, drill with a .75" spade bit, proper length of 14/3 BX, electrical box, 2 3-way switches. Then some drywall tape and joint compound. Also depends on how you snake the wire. Can you go down through a stud cavity and then over up in the basement ceiling? If so, the only drywall you'd have to cut is the hole for the box for the new switch at the bottom of the stairs. Boom. Done in an afternoon.

And if it's a basement you can sometimes take more liberties, depending on how finished it is.

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
Okay, so I got the WeMo switch. Electrician went to install it...we don't have a neutral wire, so the switch won't work. Any suggestions? Can we just install a wire? Is this a lot of work? I know nothing about this stuff. :(

Thanks.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Okay, so I got the WeMo switch. Electrician went to install it...we don't have a neutral wire, so the switch won't work. Any suggestions? Can we just install a wire? Is this a lot of work? I know nothing about this stuff. :(

Thanks.

I know nothing of this WeMo sorcery, but it depends on where your circuit breaker panel is. If it's near where you're doing this wiring, it'll probably be easy to run a neutral from it. Or he can maybe tap into a neutral from another nearby electrical box (switch, light fixture, etc). But if there isn't one near by, and if the panel is all the way on the other side of the basement, it may not be worth it. Therefore,

This.

Also, nuggstein.