GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

For all you automated home people out there...

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
So I moved into the basement, because my grandparents are moving in, and they can't use stairs. Everyone got moved around. Lost my room of 25 years. All of my stuff is in the basement anyways...

The problem:

We had light switch on the side of the wall at the top of the basement stairs which would turn on a light on the ceiling of the stairs. There was no way of turning it off without walking up the stairs, and then I'd have to walk walk back down the stairs in complete darkness, unless the other basement lights were on. So we installed a motion detector, which we set for 90 seconds before turn off. The problem is the detector cannot see someone at the bottom of the stairs, until they are basically at the top step, now forcing me to walk up the stairs in complete darkness.

And the electrician said the way the wiring is done over there, without major modifications to the walls, it would be almost impossible to put another detector at the bottom of the stairs.

Any suggestions for a different kind of motion detector switch? It has to be on the side of the wall at the top of the stairs. Maybe more vertical/diagonal detection? I don't mind spending $100.

nvturbo

Go Kart Champion
I would agree with having lamps at the bottome of the basement. Running electrical wiring from the exisiting switch to a new location will require cutting the walls and drilling holes in the wood studs.

KYGTIGuy

Go Kart Champion
I'm beginning to agree with Dude.

If you spend 50 bucks on a app to turn on a light, you will never save enough money to move out of the basement.

Come on man!

nuggstein

Go Kart Champion
I'm beginning to agree with Dude.

If you spend 50 bucks on a app to turn on a light, you will never save enough money to move out of the basement.

Come on man!
I'm 25. It's not like I don't want to move out....I hate the idea of rent. I have a decent, well-paying job, which pays for my commuting costs. Most of my friends are still at home, except for like 2 who had their reasons. Saving money is a priority. I still need to pay back my student loans...almost done. I pretty much pay for everything myself except for rent and utilities. Insurance, gas, car, car insurance, other stuff, etc. And I occasionally throw my mom some extra money. And I have zero credit card debt.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Can't you or an electrician simply wire in a 3 way switch? The extra wire goes through existing conduit, you'd just have to install another switch somewhere at the bottom of the stairs.

For those who may not know, a 3 way switch is a setup where 2 wall switches both operate the same light. So you could turn on the light at the top of the stairs and turn it off at the bottom, and vice versa. There's really very little wiring to do. If you're handy enough to do any sort of DIY on your car, you can wire up a 3 way switch in your house. I'm sure there are tons of tutorials on line. Total cost if you do it yourself would probably be less than $25.

thedude4bides

Go Kart Champion