GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Folding mirrors in when locked

tubbs

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi JAT, looks like it's fold on lock and open on start ignition.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
looks like it's fold on lock and open on start ignition.
Sorry to rake this one up - looking further back in the thread it seems you have to enable this facility in the infotainment system menus.

Can anyone kindly be more specific as to what screens need to be selected and what the tick boxes item actually says?

Where do you leave the manual knob on the door when in 'auto' mode - just to mirror left/right or to the folded setting?

Sorry for the detailed question but a mate wants to try to get this set up on his Scirocco and has even contacted VWUK who e-mailed him to say that 'no VW has auto folding mirrors operated by the key fob' :rolleyes:

A picture of the menu would be priceless as he can then e-mail it back to them and see what they say to that!

Stripey

Ready to race!
In Car menu....setup.....mirrors & wipers. Then tick the 'fold in when parked' box. There is also the 'lower while reversing' and 'synchronous adjustment' boxes too. The knob on the door can be left on any of the settings & the mirrors will fold when locked.

marvin1

Ready to race!
In Car menu....setup.....mirrors & wipers. Then tick the 'fold in when parked' box. There is also the 'lower while reversing' and 'synchronous adjustment' boxes too. The knob on the door can be left on any of the settings & the mirrors will fold when locked.

If this is enabled can you still fold mirrors in manually when say driving along narrow lanes and you don't want them hit by oncoming traffic etc?

Stripey

Ready to race!
Yep, you just use the knob on the door & turn to the mirror icon with the arrow (knob at 7 oclock position)

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Stripey - many thanks for that specific and helpful response :)

Stripey

Ready to race!
No worries....I'm sat in the car now in a massive traffic jam so it's giving me something to do. Even started reading the manual!

Stripey

Ready to race!
On the subject of mirrors, now that mornings are usually wet I'm using the mirror heaters more. Almost every time, I forget that its on & only realise when I park up at my destination and the passenger mirror doesnt tilt when reversing. (it will only tilt when knob is on 'L'). Would've been better to have mirror heating on a separate button which turned itself off after 10 minutes!

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Yes I agree - the button combinations (in particular the light switch combined with fogs) is a VW irritation....

DickFineman

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree with all said. Anybody realised that the mirrors will not fold in on the rotary knob if going above a certain speed...maybe 30 or 40 mph ? Tried it yesterday while going about 45 mph....as a bus was approaching and didn't trust him. Then again at about 38 mph and still didn't fold. Slowed down a little more and then mirrors folded in. Tried it again to confirm and only works below a certain undetermined speed. Hope this is useful for all.

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Actually, even if you leave the mirrors on heat setting, it does automatically switch off after about 10 minutes regardless. Once the ignition is cycled it starts again.

Guess it's so that you are not needlessly wasting energy.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Hopefully the Mk.7 mirror folding does not suffer from the annoying delay you often had with the mk.6?