GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Focus RS owner looking for thoughts/opinions on switching to a Golf R ...

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I'm running winters on my 19" prets. Potholes gunna be fun this year in Milwaukee

I could not use them with all season tires during summer because of the terrible roads in MI. Maybe you should have good roads in your locality.

m0kk

When you come across great deals on low mileage cars, make sure that it was not used as a dealer demo or service loaner. Those might have taken a lot of beating and dealer might want to get rid of those cars by offering huge discounts.

What kind of crazy dealer uses a Golf R as a loaner? :confused:

admiralackbar

Passed Driver's Ed
I did read on the forums that the 7th gear isn't engaged until like 55 mph, so maybe it's a true overdrive type thing. I agree, 7 should be the normal limit, anything else is just silly unless it's a super/hyper car capable of very high speeds. It will be interesting to get some feedback from 2018 R (DSG) owners especially if they have driven the DQ250 to compare.

Can confirm, on the highway it only goes to 7th when I am at cruising speed, will downshift for any acceleration. Not chasing to get into 7th if you get what I mean.

Did not have the previous R so can`t compare (only a 5-speed DSG on our TDI wagon which is not comparable ;) )

Given the state of the roads up here, 17" setup for the winter (OEM Porto wheels from the TDI and Blizzak LM-25 RFT)

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
You never know. But there is a very high possibility that it might have been a dealer demo.
Ive only ever seen one dealer offer test drives on a used R in stock, never a new one. Not sure..

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
I own one of the first 500.

I'm glad that it came fully loaded.

The DCC is well worth having. The RACE mode is a game changer for sure!

Nice to have the ability to adjust as necessary.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Never seen a dealer test drive used cars. Always test drive brand new ones

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

You’re kidding right? Who the hell cares about putting miles on a used car? And what kind of idiot buys a used car without driving it?

You can understand a dealers reluctance at putting miles on a brand new “niche” vehicle, as the potential new low production vehicle buyer is probably very picky and wants less than 20 miles on it that they haven’t accounted for.

If you buy a used car without driving it you’re a special kinda idiot!

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
You’re kidding right? Who the hell cares about putting miles on a used car? And what kind of idiot buys a used car without driving it?

You can understand a dealers reluctance at putting miles on a brand new “niche” vehicle, as the potential new low production vehicle buyer is probably very picky and wants less than 20 miles on it that they haven’t accounted for.

If you buy a used car without driving it you’re a special kinda idiot!
You're a special kind of idiot for not understanding what I said. Re read it and try again

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I would assume so. But as mentioned in the previous post, Tarspin has seen used Rs being used for Test drives.
I looked at RS back when they first dropped and it took a deposit to get a drive in one. Only let me put 9 miles on the car

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I looked at RS back when they first dropped and it took a deposit to get a drive in one. Only let me put 9 miles on the car

I see similar comments in CTR forum as well. Dealers treat R / RS / CTR as something precious and charge crazy ADMs. After sometime, they can hardly sell them for MSRP.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I see similar comments in CTR forum as well. Dealers treat R / RS / CTR as something precious and charge crazy ADMs. After sometime, they can hardly sell them for MSRP.
6 months +, 6 RS on lot, and still trying to get msrp. I've heard of 7k under msrp which on a 44k fully optioned with winters puts it at 37k which is insane

TorontoDUBBER

Ready to race!
I would assume so. But as mentioned in the previous post, Tarspin has seen used Rs being used for Test drives.
My dealer happened to have a used 2016 at the time that i was trying to decide on either the R or a GTI PP. Finding used ones on lots isn't always easy...

I drove both cars (used in my case). It made sense to me that they wanted to keep the new cars as mint as possible for their future owners. Also, a used R with 9339 kms is worth the same as one with 9362 kms. A follow up visit informed me that the used R sold rather quickly. It looked great in red and was a base with DSG. I guess it is a case by case situation after all. I definitely can't understand it when dealers refuse a test drive... ahem Subaru STIs ?