GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fluidamper users: happy with the mod?

LeGti

Ready to race!
It's all in the title: would love feedback from Fluidamper users.

Tia,
Ben.

Pacific German1

Ready to race!
The Fluidamper pulley really smoothens out the engine, as its less NVH throughout the entire rev range. We've used them in builds before, VR6 engines, MK6 Golf R / FSI engines, and the TSI MK6-7 engines with positive results!

nal

Ready to race!
i used this on my previous stage 2+ mark v gti. they do make the car smoother across the rev range and gives a delicious thrum at the top end of the throttle

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
I love mine. That misfire feel at idle these cars have has gone away and the engine seems butter smooth in the upper RPMS now. I would not buy this expecting power gains, but rather for the safety factor that comes with having a 1pc pulley and smooth power delivery.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
I love mine. That misfire feel at idle these cars have has gone away and the engine seems butter smooth in the upper RPMS now. I would not buy this expecting power gains, but rather for the safety factor that comes with having a 1pc pulley and smooth power delivery.

Hi RJ, I have a question that you can answer. I read a review from Hyde in the mk6 forum and he posted a dyno graph from a retailer for a tuned Jetta (APR tuned to be exact). Above 3500RPMs it's all good with better performance too. Below that point, the fluidampr does its job (as it's stated by them and your review) but there are performance loses. In 1500RPMs there was 50lbf less torque compared to the OEM pulley. I understand that it is not the same car/engine, but that's quite a loss. Do you feel a difference in performance after installation? Or did you do it when you swapped your turbo so you can't comment which was better in this regard?
Thanks for your time, looking forward to your input and anyone's who went that route.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Hi RJ, I have a question that you can answer. I read a review from Hyde in the mk6 forum and he posted a dyno graph from a retailer for a tuned Jetta (APR tuned to be exact). Above 3500RPMs it's all good with better performance too. Below that point, the fluidampr does its job (as it's stated by them and your review) but there are performance loses. In 1500RPMs there was 50lbf less torque compared to the OEM pulley. I understand that it is not the same car/engine, but that's quite a loss. Do you feel a difference in performance after installation? Or did you do it when you swapped your turbo so you can't comment which was better in this regard?
Thanks for your time, looking forward to your input and anyone's who went that route.
I have had the Fluidampr on the car since I was stage two. There may likely be some losses and gains throughout the power band, but in reality I did not buy this for a power boost... but rather the safety and piece of mind that comes with a 1pc crankshaft damper. It also just revs more smoothly too.

I had a Eurocode lightweight pulley on this before and it helped pickup revs a little faster, but that misfire feeling at idle was more noticeable and at high revs the engine didn't feel as balanced. My butt dyno cannot tell the difference between the factory, lightweight unit or fluidampr for a frame of reference as there is not a whole lot of power to be gained with pulleys on modern cars.

Here is a picture of all three pulleys I have had on a scale...

Last edited:

LeGti

Ready to race!
Thanks for the feedback fellas!! Will be ordering mine asap: looking forward to a smoother engine in the high rpms.

Thanks again,
Ben.

LeGti

Ready to race!
Got mine! Thanks USP for effortless ordering & incredibly fast shipping.

Improvement in idle quality instantly apparent, as is smoother running in upper rpms. Also a slight improvement in very fast high-rpm shift quality (noticeable before bleeder block delay delete, even more so after).

Great mod, thanks for the heads-up!
Ben.

Brainclaw

Ready to race!
Just ordered mine :) I have a Southbend Stage 3 Daily and the low end bucking/lurching is a bit much and am trying to eliminate that a bit. Did this improve your low rpm smoothness?

LeGti

Ready to race!
Hi, yes it did. I'd wager it will make your engine idle & rev better, but doubt it will take away the "bucking"... Please let us know either way :)

stvong

Does the Fluidampr give a wobbly sound (engine NVH?) when accelerate from low rpm? The sound disappeared once rpm hit above 1.5k. At standstill revving, there is no such sound or any wobble on the pulley. Initially, suspect installation issue, so de-installed and re-installed OEM pulley. No more wobbly sound. Then re-installed Fluidampr at another workshop. The wobbly sound came back! No bent or leakage seen on the Fluidampr. Any feedback is greatly appreciated..

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
can anyone comment on ease or difficulty of the install? what goes into this? doing a fluid damper wasn't too hard on my cobalt but not sure what more goes into these on our space-age cars haha.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Does the Fluidampr give a wobbly sound (engine NVH?) when accelerate from low rpm? The sound disappeared once rpm hit above 1.5k. At standstill revving, there is no such sound or any wobble on the pulley. Initially, suspect installation issue, so de-installed and re-installed OEM pulley. No more wobbly sound. Then re-installed Fluidampr at another workshop. The wobbly sound came back! No bent or leakage seen on the Fluidampr. Any feedback is greatly appreciated..

A little late getting back to you but did you use a new OEM stretch bolt on the initial and subsequent installs of the OEM and FluidAmpr harmonic balancer?

I have many months on my FluidAmpr and have not noticed a "wobbly" sound when accelerating from low RPMs.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
can anyone comment on ease or difficulty of the install? what goes into this? doing a fluid damper wasn't too hard on my cobalt but not sure what more goes into these on our space-age cars haha.

For this project, I elected to use a local independent shop that has a good reputation. There are several things that need to be aligned and must stay aligned during removal and installation of the FluidAmpr harmonic balancer (ie. crankshaft TDC). In addition, several components need removal, such as wheel, inner wheel lining, washer fluid reservoir, etc.

I believe I paid ~$170 for the install.