GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fitting a USB

kennedyliam38

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TDI
Hi all.

I’m loving owning a Golf. My one issue with the car is that there are no USB ports. I find this very strange and annoying considering my old Focus had 2 and 2 12V sockets. One 12V socket in the cabin and no USBs really isn’t enough. I don’t want a silly USB 12V splitter.

I want to know how to fit at least one USB port, anywhere in the front of the cabin. In the arm rest or centre console or anywhere.

I have already hardwired my dash cam into the fuse box. I would most likely want to do it this way too; Run a wire through different parts of trim to the fuse box behind the glovebox.

I need ideas and instructions on the best way to do this and the parts required.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I would just splice into the wires for the 12V socket. Much easier than wiring into the fuse box.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
How about this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I3P6QQG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
This
and
this.

I've done it. No need to run wires; use existing + and -. I didn't even drill the hole bigger, I just made some cuts in the plastic and stuffed it in.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I went the amazon route (first linked item here) and its been awesome. No extra plug in the cig lighter; seems more 'oem'. Only thing though is you cant also do the 'fuse box mod' that keeps the port on while the car is off, because it can drain the battery

texan engineer

What year is your car? According to Car and Driver, the 2015 MY (US) did not have USB ports. This was fixed circa 2016 I believe; I have a 2017 GTI and there is a single USB port in the flip-open center console in front of the shift knob. You may be able to retrofit this part if you're going the OEM route - not sure about MIB integration without coding though.

kennedyliam38

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
Golf MK7 TDI
What year is your car? According to Car and Driver, the 2015 MY (US) did not have USB ports. This was fixed circa 2016 I believe; I have a 2017 GTI and there is a single USB port in the flip-open center console in front of the shift knob. You may be able to retrofit this part if you're going the OEM route - not sure about MIB integration without coding though.

It’s the 2015 U.K./EU model. Yeah I don’t have a USB anywhere unfortunately. I have useless MDI port in the flip-open centre console in front of the shifter. I think it is possible to swap it out for the USB port you get in the 2016>. The only problem is that I don’t think it is used the exact same connections. I’m not bothered about media connectivity, I don’t have Apple car play on my media system anyway (Although it would be nice). It’s really just somewhere to charge my phone that I want. I had a 2015 focus before my Golf and it had a USB+12V in front of the shifter and in the armrest! So 2X 12V & 2X USB. I loved that as it made everything so much easier. I love my Golf but the phone charging situation is very annoying

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
before i swapped out my mib unit, i had a 12v USB charger in the center console with the wire run through the bottom of that console (there are access ports big enough for a cable to exist) and run underneath the hard trim. Made it possible to hide a cable very easily. I recommend that. There's also a kit somewhere that makes rear-usb ports into the rear of the center console.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny