GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fiesta ST vs. MK7 GTI. My test drive review and opinion request!

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I drove the ST and the GTI several times before deciding on the GTI.
I test drove the GTI and ST Fiest several times before deciding on the GTI. Here are my honest non biased thoughts and opinions:

The GTI won on the interior/exterior, power, interior/cargo space, and comfort. Better baseline power/speed and better response to modding.

The ST won on fun factor, steering/handling, brakes, overall dyamics, clutch/shift feel, sound and reliability. Probably resale value too. Thanks dieselgate...

If I could go back in time I would have gotten the FIST for my second car. I already have my fast car (15' GT stang). Every time I look at these forums or other forums, there are thread about complaints of issues with their VW/GTI. Many of the complaints are serious. There is a 3 page thread over at VWVortex with 9 different DSG failures! Blown motors, several early-build turbo failures, slipping clutches, weird noises, vibrations... I have had several new cars over the years and Ive never seen so many complaints in such a short time.
These cars respond awesome to tunes but you couldn't pay me to jeopardize my warranty with this car!
I really question the reliability of these cars and can't wait to unload my GTI to be honest.

Nice write-up. Seems like we pretty much agreed on most impressions. It's funny how close our situations are, but just the opposite. See I think if I were to only have one car, I would have bought the FiST. Since I already have a car solely for fun (Miata), the GTI is actually going to be my "fast" car. Eh there's complaints about reliability on every car forum. Currently however, VW is ahead of Ford in Reliability ratings by a decent amount. Get that thing a real tune :) She's asking for it

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I am honestly surprised you find the FoST will cost more than the GTI, they usually undercut GTI's pricing by quite a bit, but VW with the dieselgate gets more incentives now I guess...

Personally I couldn't quite deal with FiST's size, otherwise I think its a tremendous deal...

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I am honestly surprised you find the FoST will cost more than the GTI, they usually undercut GTI's pricing by quite a bit, but VW with the dieselgate gets more incentives now I guess...

Personally I couldn't quite deal with FiST's size, otherwise I think its a tremendous deal...

Yeah it was the Diesel Gate pricing that made the difference. Honestly If they didn't have the Diesel Gate incentives, I would have went a different way car-wise. The FiST is small no doubt about it. But it would be an absolute joy in Autocross and could be a killer G Stock or H Stock car. Not sure how the classes are this year.

wave

Ready to race!
It's a 2-dr Poverty Spec 6MT Black with zero options BUT it is a 2016 so it has the new Head-unit/Infotainment system. That's honestly how I wanted it specced, I'm a pretty no frills guy and coming from a base MK5 GTI, this was a big step up in features already. Build thread and impressions will happen :p

Awesome, that's exactly what I bought, except Pure White, and for what I do (daily driving) it's been a joy. No buyers remorse here.

I'll be waiting for the build journal!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Kept the gti though?

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion

BlancoGTI17

Ready to race!
Car(s)
17 GTI Autobahn
Shit I wish haha. Don't have the space for more than 2 cars. The GTI went to a good owner though.

Traitor! I'm loving it so far though. It's a worse car in every single quantifiable way imagineable, but it tugs at my heart strings more than my GTI ever did.

I hope you stick around a bit on the forums, as from what I've read as a long time lurker you've been a great asset to the community. Enjoy the new car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
I hope you stick around a bit on the forums, as from what I've read as a long time lurker you've been a great asset to the community. Enjoy the new car!

Thanks for the kind words. I'll still be around as I'm hoping to get into a used Golf R in 2-3 years or so. As a car guy I'm just pumped to be experiencing a new community with a totally new tuning scene, but I won't forget my roots :)

BlancoGTI17

Ready to race!
Car(s)
17 GTI Autobahn
Thanks for the kind words. I'll still be around as I'm hoping to get into a used Golf R in 2-3 years or so. As a car guy I'm just pumped to be experiencing a new community with a totally new tuning scene, but I won't forget my roots :)

I was thinking about my next in a few years being an R myself.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
Shit I wish haha. Don't have the space for more than 2 cars. The GTI went to a good owner though.

Traitor! I'm loving it so far though. It's a worse car in every single quantifiable way imagineable, but it tugs at my heart strings more than my GTI ever did.

It's probably more about the drive than the features, right? Less numb feeling, I'd bet.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I understand exactly. I've been tempted by the FiST for the same reasons--small, absurdly fun, flingable little ball of entertainment, despite the crappy Ford parts bin interior. Don't get me wrong, I love my R, but it's so damn composed. If I had the resources and space I'd love to have a FiST as my summertime hooligan car. Of course, then I'd trade my R for a C43 probably.