GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fender Subwoofer "cheap and easy" review

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
Bringing this thread back from the dead because I just installed the Rockford 12” recommended in the first post in a 4” tall box and this thing thumps!!

Easy install, tapped into wires which is ugly but no one sees it so don’t care. Bought box online shipped for like $125 or something. Sure beats building one for a guy that’s never built a box before.

I’ll miss the extra trunk floor space but it sits flush in the upper position totally hidden and functional which was my goal. Love the increased sound and range.

I’ll admit the fender speaker is crazy awesome for how small and compact but a 12 really rounds out the system.

Got the box here: https://ak-audio.com/collections/cu...ubwoofer-box-enclosure-car-speaker-10-12-subs

This looks like a really great solution where did you tap in the speakers

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Where did you tap in for the sub inputs

The existing fender harness in the hatch.

From the how-to link in the first post: The Fender subwoofer has a dual voice coil woofer labeled 2x2ohm and is fed by 4 wires from the amp, a pos and a neg pair for each side of the woofer. The two white wires are positives and the brown wires are negatives. There is a yellow stripe on one of each color to distinguish the pair.

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Thanks for the details and review!
I have this box too. For around $200 this is a huge bang for the buck upgrade.

This is perfect and it's looking like $133 shipped to PA. I have some nice baltic pine ply I could use but at this price, it's kind of a no-brainer. Good reviews on their other products (and on this at the other forum). Internally braced... Yeah, seems legit. I've got an Audison Prima AP 10" with a depth of 3.64" that has been collecting dust and should fit nicely.

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Thanks for the details and review!

This is perfect and it's looking like $133 shipped to PA. I have some nice baltic pine ply I could use but at this price, it's kind of a no-brainer. Good reviews on their other products (and on this at the other forum). Internally braced... Yeah, seems legit. I've got an Audison Prima AP 10" with a depth of 3.64" that has been collecting dust and should fit nicely.

Yeah, and the sub is around $80. Definitely $200ish better than the OE Fender setup (y)

Knifebright

Go Kart Newbie
The plug on the left is the factory sub connection from the car, and the plug on the right with the yellow wires is what I made with the VW parts noted in the first post. This allows you to use the factory plug and quickly disconnect or pop back in the Fender sub as needed.

For wiring, quoting the Vortex thread, "the two white wires are positives and the brown wires are negatives. There is a yellow stripe on one of each color to distinguish which belong together as a pair."

PRO TIP (that I didn't know): Home Depot sells 16-gauge speaker wire by the foot in the electrical section. When you're picking up your MDF or plywood, grab 3' for inside the box to connect the speaker to the terminals. It was .52/ft at my local HD.

This is the sub I used: https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_36297_Rockford-Fosgate-Prime-R2SD2-10.html

Hi all
Gathering my parts and cleared out the truck while my box arrives.

I got the repair wires and connector in this thread, however I need some direction.

Either the part number changed, the terminals changed or I can’t figure out what I’m looking at. I’d believe all 3 😂.

Does anyone know what size/male or female terminals I need here? I think they’re spade ?

Thanks all

Attachments

• 82F43208-D518-41FA-9B98-C5F28FC33DA4.jpeg
    82F43208-D518-41FA-9B98-C5F28FC33DA4.jpeg
    757 KB · Views: 67
  • 0E71C884-7B2A-4F06-BC4F-FC12FB33E832.jpeg
    0E71C884-7B2A-4F06-BC4F-FC12FB33E832.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
  • E633BA44-2D0B-44D5-8781-8EE166F39A6B.jpeg
    E633BA44-2D0B-44D5-8781-8EE166F39A6B.jpeg
    802.8 KB · Views: 65