GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Failed Thermostat Housing/Coolant Loss Info Gathering

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
There was smoke coming out of my grille this morning when I pulled into my parking spot at work. I had topped off the overflow about two month ago, and now it' down to the midpoint. Sigh. Time to pull the belly pan and take pictures.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
There was smoke coming out of my grille this morning when I pulled into my parking spot at work. I had topped off the overflow about two month ago, and now it' down to the midpoint. Sigh. Time to pull the belly pan and take pictures.

Belly pan will be a pleasant white, in time for Christams.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Mine is leaking at 51K miles after having it replaced once already at 30K miles. Trying to figure out if I should worry about my FMIC if I take it in for warranty repair...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Mine is leaking at 51K miles after having it replaced once already at 30K miles. Trying to figure out if I should worry about my FMIC if I take it in for warranty repair...

My dealer replaced my thermostat housing when I was FBO IS38. Hell I leave my dyno printout in the driver door compartment for them to see my latest results.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I honestly don’t think they care. The tech who was standing nearby when I made a joke to my service advisor telling him it was the first time I’d been there in 3 years NOT for a thermostat housing leak on this car just started laughing hysterically and said “yep, we fix those basically no matter what.” Service director has said the same to me. Obv your dealer may be dicks.

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
My dealer replaced my thermostat housing when I was FBO IS38. Hell I leave my dyno printout in the driver door compartment for them to see my latest results.
Not surprising.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
That coolant smell is really starting to get to me.. Always driving on edge waiting to get stranded..

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Am a Reddit user but was banned from u/golfGTI

my wife’s GLI seems to have this issue too. I can smell it.

Mk7GolfDisease

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf 1.8T TSI
2015 GTI 63k, at 45k brought it in to get it pressure tested and it passed twice. Vw refuses to cover it under warranty because it passed even though you could visually see dried coolant dripping down the block. Service advisor said “I gotta be honest with you man, it kinda looks like mud to me”, what a load of bs. Didn’t pursue any future action because the tech who did the pressure tests goes to my church and my uncle personally knows him.:rolleyes: I top up the coolant every oil change at 5k, no biggie.
So do i just reply to that thread of my info and all or go on that link and fill form first?

GTI_Jerm

Go Kart Champion
Add me to this list of failed thermostat housings. I went in because my car threw a CEL yesterday and they said it was the intercooler. Don’t remember exactly what he said but they cleared it and then JUST as they pulled the car out of the garage, the CEL came back on. First mechanic couldn’t figure out what was going on, so an older guy hopped in and noticed coolant and ran diagnostics again. Fortunately for me, I’m at 58850 miles and still covered under the powertrain warranty. They didn’t even seem bothered that the car is modded.

Any idea if this part fails within a year, do they replace again, even if out of warranty?

And no, I didn’t bother reading through all 23 pages of this thread to find that answer to that. 🤷🏻‍♂️

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Add me to this list of failed thermostat housings. I went in because my car threw a CEL yesterday and they said it was the intercooler. Don’t remember exactly what he said but they cleared it and then JUST as they pulled the car out of the garage, the CEL came back on. First mechanic couldn’t figure out what was going on, so an older guy hopped in and noticed coolant and ran diagnostics again. Fortunately for me, I’m at 58850 miles and still covered under the powertrain warranty. They didn’t even seem bothered that the car is modded.

Any idea if this part fails within a year, do they replace again, even if out of warranty?

And no, I didn’t bother reading through all 23 pages of this thread to find that answer to that. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Don't know if they will cover it, but you can get a kit at FCPEuro for less than 300 bucks and switch it out next time it fails (if it does). FCPEuro has lifetime warranty, so your thermostat can fail all it wants, they'll just send you new ones once you send back the dead ones.

GTI_Jerm

Go Kart Champion
Don't know if they will cover it, but you can get a kit at FCPEuro for less than 300 bucks and switch it out next time it fails (if it does). FCPEuro has lifetime warranty, so your thermostat can fail all it wants, they'll just send you new ones once you send back the dead ones.

The service advisor ordered the parts and said they’d schedule me when it arrives. On my invoice it says “covered under powertrain warranty”. I’ve read a few pages and have seen that heavily modded cars were covered too. Definitely will use FCPEuro when I’m out of warranty. I had to replace my PCV and purchased through them.