GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Failed Thermostat Housing/Coolant Loss Info Gathering

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Dunno why I’m a glutton for punishment but back in May ‘23 we got a 2019 Spektrum R with 20k miles on it, our 5th MK7 since 2014, and guess what I smell and see going away from the tank at 25k miles.

Big sigh. At least we have the 6/72 warranty until 2025, maybe I can get two or three replacements in on it before the warranty runs out 😂🤣

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Maybe I’m lucky but the replacement housing installed at about 48,000 miles has been leak free. I’m now at 141,000 miles. Did they change the design?

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Maybe I’m lucky but the replacement housing installed at about 48,000 miles has been leak free. I’m now at 141,000 miles. Did they change the design?
I hope my experience is like yours. I had mine replaced at 38,700 about 4 years ago and it has been problem free since then (knock on wood). But I only have about 73k on it now, so not enough miles to tell haha.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
There have been various revisions to the part over the MK7/7.5 product lifecycle.

The latest mk7.5 part (and I’d assume mk7 as well) looks to be 06L121111P.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
There have been various revisions to the part over the MK7/7.5 product lifecycle.

The latest mk7.5 part (and I’d assume mk7 as well) looks to be 06L121111P.
Seems about right. Mine was replaced in 2019 and is an M revision.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Seems about right. Mine was replaced in 2019 and is an M revision.
Yeah, last time I had one done was when they replaced my 2017 Sport’s motor under warranty December 2020, it was still the M revision.

Three more revs since then it would seem.

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I feel there's definitely an element of luck involved regardless of revision. Changed out the one on my daughter's 2015 car at 145k miles earlier this year - it was the original part with a 2014 date stamp. And it wasn't even leaking....reason for the change was the thermostat was starting to play by up throwing false overheating readings.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I feel there's definitely an element of luck involved regardless of revision. Changed out the one on my daughter's 2015 car at 145k miles earlier this year - it was the original part with a 2014 date stamp. And it wasn't even leaking....reason for the change was the thermostat was starting to play by up throwing false overheating readings.
Truly remarkable.

My friend was actually just texting me about his 2018 Tiguan. 130k on it and just needed to be done. Started pushing coolant out through the electrical connection according to the tech who worked on it.

johng.wissig

Ready to race!
My 2015 weeped slightly for some time then at 96k it emptied the overflow in 300 miles. Pump and housing replaced in Sept. Now I never smell antifreeze! Been smelling it since 30k but level dropped very sloooowly.