Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Impeller is on the other side.

Oem:
1645136691313.png

USPs:

1645136749064.png

Though if the impeller failing isn't the issue and it's the housing warping and seal failing OEM is best. Been eyeing the FCP OE kit for the savings over OEM and debating doing it myself. I'll see if I can get the dealer to cover it under warranty first though.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't risking impeller failure by waiting on the weep/leak to get worse.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Ordered a water pump/thermostat from FCP about a month ago. Shop was gonna charge my $1100 for parts/labor, so that’s like $800 for labor 🤔 Kinda steep but probably cheaper than the dealer. There’s a video by ShopDAP (makes it look complicated) and ECS has a How-to for their throttle body spacer install (looks much easier than ShopDAP instructions) so I’m probably gonna do myself. Will buy some brake cleaner/wire brushes and clean the intake valves while I’m at it.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Ordered a water pump/thermostat from FCP about a month ago. Shop was gonna charge my $1100 for parts/labor, so that’s like $800 for labor 🤔 Kinda steep but probably cheaper than the dealer. There’s a video by ShopDAP (makes it look complicated) and ECS has a How-to for their throttle body spacer install (looks much easier than ShopDAP instructions) so I’m probably gonna do myself. Will buy some brake cleaner/wire brushes and clean the intake valves while I’m at it.
Fcp has a good video on valve cleaning, covering walnut blasting and port injection cleaner with scrape. Apparently their zip tie trick works pretty well.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Is the issue more with the housing leaking, leading to impeller failure? Seems there are no cast thermostat housing for the MK7, but USP does have a metal impeller upgrade for the MK7 -
https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Ulti...w-Metal-Impeller-For-Gen-3-MK7-06L121111.html

I'm currently chasing this down. Had the coolant light come on, topped off, checked it and topped off again. Though since that i've driven to Vegas and back, and put about may 2k on it with no loss. I did have previous signs of crud dripping down onto the oil pan from where the thermostat housing is though prior to this.
Sounds like the thermostat housing needs to be changed.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Realized there's two threads for this, the class action and the info gathering. Here's my experience.

Had a 2015 GTI that would go from max to min every 1.5 months and would top it off. Smelled like coolant but never leaked. Took it to VW and they said they pressure tested it and it's not leaking. Ended up selling that car at 65k miles and buying a 2019.

Ever since getting my 2019 it's lost coolant in the same manner. Max to min in 1.5 months, smells like hot coolant. I finally got around to taking it to the dealership for and AC issue so I told them about this as well. The service dude said he could smell coolant standing there looking at the car. I told him it needs to be visually inspected because a pressure test won't show any issue. He says okay, I should have the car back in 7 to 10 days. They also don't supply loaners anymore so I have to buy a rental car.

Fast forward 8 days and I've heard nothing, every call I make to the dealer ends in me being on hold and "your service advisor will call you back". Never does. Finally someone tells me that they pressure tested the coolant system and there's no leaks, which is exactly what I said would happen. They also say they haven't started working on the AC yet.

So today I call asking about the AC and they still have not started it. I'm told my service advisor will call me back. He never does. I call back 2 hours later and am on hold for 30 min before being sent to some random persons voicemail.

Now I'm pissed and my wallet is being drained by the rental. I call VWoA and explain the entire situation, the coolant leak, them not finding it as I said they would, everything. To my surprise the rep was very helpful. She got in contact with the dealership to figure out wtf is going on and why my service guy hasn't said shit to me. She also gives me the names of the service manager and the general manager.

Furthermore, she is getting her case manager involved to start getting real with the dealership. She is also contacting other dealerships to find one that can have this done properly in a reasonable time. Then it just so happens 20 min after our conversation my service advisor texts me for the first time and says this:

1685049851492.png

It's almost as though I speak a different language when I say that a pressure test will not show any issue. Like sure, I'm just a "normal person" and not a service tech. But honestly it seems the "normal person" knows more than the paid employees.

/rant

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
"Hey Supermoto,

This is your service rep. We pressure tested everything and found no leaks. We will attempt to pressure test it again and tell you the same thing in 2 weeks."

tigeo

Autocross Champion
"Hey Supermoto,

This is your service rep. We pressure tested everything and found no leaks. We will attempt to pressure test it again and tell you the same thing in 2 weeks."
The visual dried coolant should be enough.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
"Hey tigeo,
This is your service rep. We pressurized the system and did not find any leaks."

😂

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
At this point, just drill a hole through it and then have them pressure test it

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
They also don't supply loaners anymore so I have to buy a rental car.

Fast forward 8 days and I've heard nothing
Eh, they always say that. Squeaky wheel gets the grease man. Pressure test doesn't show anything, they know pressure test doesn't show anything. Their goal is to pressure test and get it out the door as soon as possible. Again, squeaky wheel gets the grease.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
"Hey tigeo,
This is your service rep. We pressurized the system and did not find any leaks."

😂
Happened....then I had it replaced out of warranty and VW is on the hook to repay me.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Another update (the updates sure start rolling in once they have VWoA on their ass). Service advisor says the tech visually inspected and saw no dried coolant. On top of this, they found the AC needed to be recharged however they couldn't find the leak. He said to bring it back in down the road so they can find the leak once the dye has a chance to leak out.

I'm calling BS on the coolant thing. The coolant is going somewhere, so it's not that there's no leak, rather the tech just couldn't find where it's going. Doesn't mean it's all well. Then the advisor told me something along the lines of not having to pay the diagnostic fee for the AC since it's not fixed. First of all, what diagnostic fee? And second, does that mean I'm paying a fee for the coolant leak that they couldn't find?

Either way, cars now ready for pickup tomorrow. I have a feeling I'm gonna be fighting with someone tomorrow. Agh.

Eh, they always say that. Squeaky wheel gets the grease man. Pressure test doesn't show anything, they know pressure test doesn't show anything. Their goal is to pressure test and get it out the door as soon as possible. Again, squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Man idk what wheel to grease to get a loaner. Everyone is such a massive pain in the ass.

Happened....then I had it replaced out of warranty and VW is on the hook to repay me.
Honestly this is probably what I'm gonna have to do.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Update. This morning VWoA case manager calls and asks if the dealer followed up with me because they can't get in contact with them today. I explained that they now say the car is done. She tells me they should not be charging me any diagnostic fees as they have ways to waive those and in this situation I certainly shouldn't be charged. She said to let her know what happens.

I went to get the car and the service advisor tells me I owe 177 because they couldn't find the source of the coolant loss. I ask why I have to pay because the tech was incompetent, he says because he took his time. So of course this goes to the manager and he is one of the least helpful people I have ever met. He tells me if I don't pay I don't get my car back. Essentially holding it hostage despite all of us knowing this is a bullshit fee. So of course I pay it and will never be going back there.

I VWoA to update and they were shocked that they made me pay a fee and that the service manager was so unhelpful. On Tuesday the case manager will be in contact with me to take it from here. I figure at the very end of it all if no one is able to help me, I can always contact my bank for a credit card chargeback. Citi has always been very good about that kinda thing.

Apologies for the rants, this is just unacceptable.

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
The tech literally told you he could smell coolant leaking. Younger me would have lost it dude. This is literally VW's "we're not aware of any issues" CYA statement.
Yeah tell me about it. I wanted to lose it but I knew it wouldn't make VWoA any more keen to help me. I stayed as diplomatic as possible and left. Tomorrow I'm gonna get under the car with a scope camera and see if I can find where the coolant is going.

Reactions: the