GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Experience Package

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
If you miss having a manual the DSG will not make you stop missing a manual. I got a new GTI last week with the MT and I love it. My friend who got a DSG last spring says that it was fun for a while and is still fine but he should have gotten the MT.

If I didn't have to slog through terrible traffic on a daily basis, I'd go with a manual.

MissedShifting

Passed Driver's Ed
If I didn't have to slog through terrible traffic on a daily basis, I'd go with a manual.

I hear ya. I just bought this manual even though I'm seriously considering a move to the Bay Area. But I have a motorcycle too so when I can't take the traffic... LANE SPLITTING HERE I COME!

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I hear ya. I just bought this manual even though I'm seriously considering a move to the Bay Area. But I have a motorcycle too so when I can't take the traffic... LANE SPLITTING HERE I COME!

I know a few people that live in the bay area and they all say traffic is horrendous.

HstephenG

Go Kart Champion
Speaking of the Experience Package (I didn't want to start a new thread), would y'all say that the Dynamic Chassis Control system is likely a failure-prone and expensive-to-repair system or that it should survive the rigors of the average driver through 100K Miles?

I'm concerned that the low sidewall tires on the GTI could result in a harsh ride and the Experience Package would offer me options depending on road surface and my daily driving wants. I'll not be wanting to swap out suspension parts during my ownership.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Along similar lines, does anyone have any insight if DCC can make 19” wheels on a GTI more livable? Specifically 19” Pretorias.
Thanks!

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I think my 60+ year old age is showing, but it seems odd to me that VW paired the Dynamic Chassis Control with a killer Fender stereo system in the ( U.S.A.) SE. The DCC likely appeals most to older drivers and the Fender system appeals most to younger drivers. I like good sound, but hardly need Fender audio.

Might have made more sense perhaps to pair DCC with Leather, leaving the Clark Plaid standard on the SE as many would prefer. (Frankly, I think the Plaid is pretty cool too.)

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Along similar lines, does anyone have any insight if DCC can make 19” wheels on a GTI more livable? Specifically 19” Pretorias.
Thanks!

Absolutely. Look up posts in the Golf R section. Specifically read Al_in_philly's account of the differences. He says Comfort mode, even on 19's, is like driving a plush luxury car. Sport is too stiff for 98% of situations, but normal is just right.

cb1111

Thanks!
Kind-of. While it may make it more comfortable, but the 19's will still be susceptible to US roads - or lack thereof.

HstephenG

Go Kart Champion
Absolutely. Look up posts in the Golf R section. Specifically read Al_in_philly's account of the differences. He says Comfort mode, even on 19's, is like driving a plush luxury car. Sport is too stiff for 98% of situations, but normal is just right.

This is very helpful - thank you!
Do you feel it is safe to assume a similar effect on GTIs with 19” rims such as the Pretorias? Not sure if there are other differences between the two cars that would make the camparison unfair...

BeardOfBenKenobi

Experience pack still tough to find out west. The good news is that my dealer "found" a car that has it. Said it was already in transit and he grabbed it. Bad news is that although VW dot com says its on the dealer's lot, it ain't. Dealer says it hasn't reached the port (assuming San Diego?), and ETA to the dealer is mid-late April.

I've waited for a car to ship before (from Germany though), so no big deal, but it would be cool if we could track cars as easily as we can track a $6 USB cable I order from Amazon.