GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust valve open

wulliebhoy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MRK7 Vw Golf R
Wonder if anyone can help? I recently changed my exhaust to a miltek and noticed my offside valve was in the open position the whole time, so last night i changed the valve and it was working. Today i started the car up and left it running as it was cold for about 5 minutes. I then decided to check the valves and it was in the open position again and wouldn't close when i put the car back to eco mode but the nearside one was closing and opening as it should. So I was wondering if the car reaches a certain temperature will the valve stay open? Im guessing not but thought i would ask

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Unless operation in Eco mode is something strange to me, they're always open at idle. If you have DSG, listen for the exhaust changing tone when shifting from Park to Drive and back again at idle and stopped. Unless it's different than my 2016 US version, temperature doesn't make any difference in operation. You can try checking the voltages or use a bore scope to watch it work while someone works the shifter. When shifting from P to D, the flaps should momentarily close then open again as a test since you're still at idle. Possibly, one sticks when it's cold or hot because the Miltek wasn't assembled correctly, and the flap is binding. Or maybe the plug or wiring has a problem. Can you remove the motor and watch it work out of the exhaust? That way, if everything operates fine the flap or shaft is binding. If you have VCDS you might get a code.

Last edited:

wulliebhoy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MRK7 Vw Golf R
Unless operation in Eco mode is something strange to me, they're always open at idle. If you have DSG, listen for the exhaust changing tone when shifting from Park to Drive and back again at idle and stopped. Unless it's different than my 2016 US version, temperature doesn't make any difference in operation. You can try checking the voltages or use a bore scope to watch it work while someone works the shifter. When shifting from P to D, the flaps should momentarily close then open again as a test since you're still at idle. Possibly, one sticks when it's cold or hot because the Miltek wasn't assembled correctly, and the flap is binding. Or maybe the plug or wiring has a problem. Can you remove the motor and watch it work out of the exhaust? That way, if everything operates fine the flap or shaft is binding. If you have VCDS you might get a code.
Its the manual my friend. When you have the car in ECO mode the flaps are closed but in race mode its open. I will take it back to garage and have a look again. Maybe it need to be programmed or something. I didnt tbink the temperature would be the cause i was just wondering, its really annoying me 🤣. Thanks for the reply my friend really appreciate that

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Possibly, one sticks when it's cold or hot because the Miltek wasn't assembled correctly, and the flap is binding. Or maybe the plug or wiring has a problem. Can you remove the motor and watch it work out of the exhaust? That way, if everything operates fine the flap or shaft is binding. If you have VCDS you might get a code.

Wondering if the valves were not transferred to the new exhaust and installed correctly. The fitment of the passenger side on my Borla was suspect, but I have them coded always open so I didn't care.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Only have a single valve now, but IIRC that's normal unless you have them coded differently. One of them will be open and the other will stay shut, after re-starting the car or in eco/comfort mode.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Its the manual my friend. When you have the car in ECO mode the flaps are closed but in race mode its open. I will take it back to garage and have a look again. Maybe it need to be programmed or something. I didnt tbink the temperature would be the cause i was just wondering, its really annoying me 🤣. Thanks for the reply my friend really appreciate that

I did see elsewhere they are usually closed in Eco mode. I have coded open all of the time. I'm used to the drone. In cold weather it's fairly loud.

wulliebhoy

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MRK7 Vw Golf R
I did see elsewhere they are usually closed in Eco mode. I have coded open all of the time. I'm used to the drone. In cold weather it's fairly loud.
I think there both working now, thank you for replying to my post. Love the sound of the milltek its sweet 🤣

Reactions: krs

RS4DuWalker

Car(s)
‘12 MK6 GLI Autobahn
Hi All! I have a similar question, concerning the flaps on the exhaust. I hope this is the best thread to post my question. I have the AWE switch path exhaust with the APR turbo-back downpipe. I’m concerned that the valves aren’t opening and closing on the AWE system. The valve for the mode switching from comfort/normal/race is working. Usually, I can put it in race AND open the valve on the AWE switch path with a separate fob. Is it possible that the valves are stuck because of carbon buildup? Possibly the actuator isn’t working? What would be your process of elimination? I’m hoping to avoid taking the exhaust off to find the problem.
Also, I’m getting some pinging noise on the passenger side exhaust. Is it possible that one of the flaps is loose and pinging inside the pipe?
I really appreciate any help. This car was a friend’s who passed away and I didn’t want it to end up on carmax or Autotrader, so I’m learning a lot about what all he did to the car.

Attachments

• IMG_5080.jpeg
    IMG_5080.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5081.jpeg
    IMG_5081.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5082.jpeg
    IMG_5082.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5083.jpeg
    IMG_5083.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5084.jpeg
    IMG_5084.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5085.jpeg
    IMG_5085.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5086.jpeg
    IMG_5086.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don't understand, because if the car's ECM is controlling the flaps, how is the Switchpath also able to open them? I would need to see how it's wired, because I thought with Switchpath, only the remote controlled the flaps and the ECM is not in the loop.

RS4DuWalker

Car(s)
‘12 MK6 GLI Autobahn
I don't understand, because if the car's ECM is controlling the flaps, how is the Switchpath also able to open them? I would need to see how it's wired, because I thought with Switchpath, only the remote controlled the flaps and the ECM is not in the loop.
what you are describing is what it says on the website but the car seems more aggressive when you combine the AWE remote and race mode on the ECM. I believe the remote is an option he added. If it is in race but I don’t use the remote, it’s not as loud. So, when I put it in race, should the flaps automatically open or is that no longer part of the loop? If the ECM isn’t part of the loop anymore, could that cause damage, if I don’t use the remote to open the flaps? Thanks for the reply! I included what I could find for the remote.

Attachments

• IMG_5112.png
    IMG_5112.png
    648.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5111.png
    IMG_5111.png
    306.4 KB · Views: 12