GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust help/leak (xforce varex catback)

izkray

I got the xforce catback and it sounds like I have a crazy leak. All connections are tight. After some research on here, I replaced the band clamp that goes between catback and downpipe but that didn't do anything for me. All I can think of is maybe I got a faulty muffler. Maybe the valves don't open all the way but I'm pretty sure it shouldn't sound like this. Here's a little video of what it sounds like. Only happens under heavy throttle
Thanks for your time!

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Yikes! Last time I heard a sound like that, it came from a bunch of feminist protesters. Got to be something wrong with the muffler.

Ottawarabbit

I literally just installed my cat back too and have the exact same noise. Did you install the valve control box? I did a home install and need help on how to run the wires.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It's one of those could have had a V8 moments. (V8 vegetable juice I mean) in this case could have a Baun Performance exhaust.

OrthY

Car(s)
GTI MK7
I have exact same sound. However, there is no leak sign on my exhaust. I think the sound is coming from gap between valve and muffler.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I have exact same sound. However, there is no leak sign on my exhaust. I think the sound is coming from gap between valve and muffler.

From what I’ve heard they use a plastic valve, which melts and blocks the gas path.

For every “looking for an X force” thread there’s two about them being junk.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
The "open" part of the video sounds like mine, but when in the closed position. I find the closed position sound to be awful when under load.

Some times I find the valve becomes un-synced with the control box. I have app controlled extra box. I get an un-synced if I turn off the car and then start my car within a few minutes. Another restart fixes the issue.

@izkray, are you still having the issue, does it happen every time?

izkray

I'm really sorry guys! I always forget to check the forum.

I'll try to keep this short and explain my experience.
I got the varex remote valved system (non-bluetooth one)
Apparently I got a faulty valve system from the factory. I purchased the catback from MAPerformance and they contacted Xforce about warranty replacement. Naturally they requested a video of the "weird" sound and I sent the same one I posted. I attached their response below. They sent me a new muffler pretty quick and everything sounded normal after that. Thankfully swapping it out isn't a big deal but still an annoyance. Also was a little annoyed that they seemed to take the angle that it "was my fault". Right after install this is how the car sounded. Not after driving X miles, brand new from the factory.

I'm not bashing them in any way, that's just how I felt about it. Nowhere does it say you can't drive with it full throttle. I also commented on one of their posts about this and got a completely different answer so who knows.

I didn't have any issues with fitment like others mentioned. Ever after all this I decided to run their downpipe as well because I wanted a full system from 1 manufacturer. It sounds great but there was some issues installing the downpipe. (I'll list em if anyone is interested/curious). This is one of those, you get what you pay for scenarios I guess. I've put about 5000 miles on the new catback and it's still working perfectly.

If anyone is interested in a video to hear what the full turboback sounds like, I'll gladly take one for you guys!
Again I'm sorry it took so long to reply, hopefully this helps

Screenshot_20200810-172021_Gallery.jpg

20200810_173247.jpg