GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Everyone else will be doing it now

scrllock

Autocross Champion
This is inevitable, once they hit enough market share it won't make sense to keep building new ICE platforms for the small markets that will still allow them.

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I can't see EVs taking over the market without the infrastructure to support it. There are pockets but they're not as widespread as gasoline stations.

Here in Texas, I've been seeing the bigger gas stations (Bucee's, Pilot, Loves) with more charging stations but they're not as common yet. Plus, as a consumer, I can't truly see an EV as taking over family driving duties in all types of weather or taking on the long road trips. The EVs need better batteries to deal with the weather extremes and they need to be longer lasting or, once again, there needs to be more infrastructure.

I can see a hybrid taking over the daily duties and road trips as it seems you get the best of both worlds. This, to me, seems like a more viable option at the moment. I'm thinking we won't see the necessary changes that EVs need until 10yrs down the road.

I'm not worried about gasoline engines going away (yet) but I know that eventually "innovation" tends to win out.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Slightly off topic, but one current unforeseen aspect of EV ownership in the UK seems to be the cost of insurance. Some EV owners have seen their existing insurance company quoting sizeable premium increases; there are media reports of the average EV premium increase being 72% over last year, with some EV owners being quoted a renewal price up to 9 times the previous year’s price. Some insurance companies have also temporarily stopped offering cover at all on EV’s for both existing and new customers.

It seems that currently, the cost of repairing an EV‘s is higher than a comparable ICE car - parts availability and time taken to undertake the repairs being cited as reasons. Damage to the batteries also often results in the car being written off / totalled.

So for anyone considering an EV, it‘s worth thoroughly researching the availability and cost of insurance before making the switch from ICE to EV.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I still want to know how lower income people in more urban environments are going to charge?

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
Doesn’t most of the lithium ion come from China? Is switching to being dependent on them vs the Middle East really “better”?

And isn’t most of our domestic energy from coal? So is burning more coal to charge our electric cars really “better”?

It does seem, as was previously mentioned hybrid power trains would be the best of both worlds.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Doesn’t most of the lithium ion come from China? Is switching to being dependent on them vs the Middle East really “better”?

And isn’t most of our domestic energy from coal? So is burning more coal to charge our electric cars really “better”?

It does seem, as was previously mentioned hybrid power trains would be the best of both worlds.
Off the top of my head, Chile is one of the biggest producers of lithium.
I'm not a big fan of electrics, but there a number of calculations that have been done which show that even though electricity is largely derived from coal in this country - there would still be a net reduction in greenhouse emissions if all (maybe most) vehicles were electric.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Off the top of my head, Chile is one of the biggest producers of lithium.
I'm not a big fan of electrics, but there a number of calculations that have been done which show that even though electricity is largely derived from coal in this country - there would still be a net reduction in greenhouse emissions if all (maybe most) vehicles were electric.
Straight from the gooberment https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

U.S. utility-scale electricity generation by source, amount, and share of total in 2022
Data as of February 2023

Energy sourceBillion kWhShare of total
Total - all sources4,243
Fossil fuels (total)2,55460.2%
Natural gas1,68939.8%
Coal82819.5%
Petroleum (total)230.6%
Petroleum liquids160.4%
Petroleum coke70.2%
Other gases3120.3%
Nuclear77218.2%
Renewables (total)91321.5%
Wind43510.2%
Hydropower2626.2%
Solar (total)1463.4%
Photovoltaic1433.4%
Solar thermal30.1%
Biomass (total)531.3%
Wood370.9%
Landfill gas90.2%
Municipal solid waste (biogenic)60.1%
Other biomass waste20.1%
Geothermal170.4%
Pumped storage hydropower4-6-0.1%
Other sources5110.3%

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
I'm not worried about gasoline engines going away (yet) but I know that eventually "innovation" tends to win out.
Depends on if markets are eventually allowed to decide (e.g. if current regimes finally collapse under the weight of all the BS, fiat currency, etc) or not.

TimCv1

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI mk 7, Tiguan MQB
It seems that currently, the cost of repairing an EV‘s is higher than a comparable ICE car - parts availability and time taken to undertake the repairs being cited as reasons. Damage to the batteries also often results in the car being written off / totalled.
And when they burn, they really burn, like take the house with it (my garage is under my master bedroom = no farging way I'll ever park an electric there).

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
There is also a side to this that wasn't mentioned in the thread which may not be known to those of us on this side of the pond.

The UK has a mandate that outlaws all new ICE private vehicle sales by 2035. It was 2030 until last month but the government realized that goal might be unattainable.

This is marketing from Nissan to show everyone committed they are to "zero emission".

Meanwhile we keep burning coal for power and no-one has even started to answer what I think is one of the most important questions:
I still want to know how lower income people in more urban environments are going to charge?