GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT Prototype Turbo Results

Nikolay1

In short the turbo is a 10 second 125+mph trap turbo and in the US we use wheel horsepower, generally Dynojets, as a standard.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

So this turbo produce 500+ hp on 91 octane with only HPFP? Magic.

Wheel horsepower at least for 15% less than engine power. So if it doing 445whp this is 500+hp engine power

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI

Wheel horsepower at least for 15% less than engine power. So if it doing 445whp this is 500+hp engine power

IF the results are on a Dynojet those tend to read a bit high.

IF correction factors are being applied that could push the numbers up.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Hello Ed,

What is your whp mean? I have confused with USA whp. Is this real whp or this is flywheel hp? All the time talking about whp, but engine power at least at 15% more. Or USA whp this is engine power? Or you have 490hp on is38 with E85?

But looks on this post I see real whp, so I am completely confused. https://eqtuning.com/blogs/tunes/eqt-2016-golf-r-testing

Can you explain this situation? You got over 500 hp on 91 octane with your turbo or what? So it should do 1/4 mile less then 11 seconds.

It’s whp as measured by our Dynocom chassis dyno. I try not to guesstimate engine horsepower because the drivetrain loss isn’t really a fixed percentage... it’s more of a sliding scale.

With 430-440whp on our dyno, the car should trap around around 121-122mph which is pretty good for our crappy 91 octane. A very high 10 second pass could be possible with good tires and perfect launch. On better gas the turbo is good for 500whp+ which is definitely good for a 10 second pass and trap speeds should be in the high 120’s.

Thanks
— Ed

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R

Like I said, crank hp estimates like that are not really accurate. Also, I’m running these cars in FWD, so there’s less drivetrain loss than AWD.

With upgraded hpfp, you can get quite a bit of fuel... I also have a few tricks with injection timing that help me maximize the DI system. The lpfp was getting very close to its limits, but still keeps up. On ethanol, however, you absolutely need to upgrade it.

— Ed

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
From personal experience tuning a few 10s hybrids, Ed is right.

With port injection and LPFP, you can expect 125-128 traps and solid 10s with proper prep.

I did a car on completely stock fuel on a hybrid that did 10.9@127 (ms109 blend with 93). It's not realistic to use shit fuel and expect good results, regardless of the turbo.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
From personal experience tuning a few 10s hybrids, Ed is right.

With port injection and LPFP, you can expect 125-128 traps and solid 10s with proper prep.

I did a car on completely stock fuel on a hybrid that did 10.9@127 (ms109 blend with 93). It's not realistic to use shit fuel and expect good results, regardless of the turbo.

May as well add no one is doing those times in a manual car either....haha

Nikolay1

Like I said, crank hp estimates like that are not really accurate. Also, I’m running these cars in FWD, so there’s less drivetrain loss than AWD.

With upgraded hpfp, you can get quite a bit of fuel... I also have a few tricks with injection timing that help me maximize the DI system. The lpfp was getting very close to its limits, but still keeps up. On ethanol, however, you absolutely need to upgrade it.

— Ed

Hello Ed,

In FWD mode will be at least 10% loss.

Please explain to me if you have 445whp on crappy 91 octane (this is ~490 crank hp), and 500whp on E30 (~550 crank hp) so what power with is38 on this graph from your site and on what octane?

From this graph I understand that this is crank hp, or is38 doing 380whp?

Ok, tell me please is your turbo doing close hp to TTE525, or it is more powerful?

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Hello Ed,

In FWD mode will be at least 10% loss.

Please explain to me if you have 445whp on crappy 91 octane (this is ~490 crank hp), and 500whp on E30 (~550 crank hp) so what power with is38 on this graph from your site and on what octane?

From this graph I understand that this is crank hp, or is38 doing 380whp?

Ok, tell me please is your turbo doing close hp to TTE525, or it is more powerful?

All of the lines on this graph are whp as measured at the front wheels on our Dynocom chassis dyno. The IS38 is doing around 380whp on 91 Octane, our turbo is doing 445whp on 91 Octane, and 500whp on E30. I haven't done a direct comparison with the TTE525, so I can't answer that question honestly.

Thanks
-- Ed

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
All of the lines on this graph are whp as measured at the front wheels on our Dynocom chassis dyno. The IS38 is doing around 380whp on 91 Octane, our turbo is doing 445whp on 91 Octane, and 500whp on E30. I haven't done a direct comparison with the TTE525, so I can't answer that question honestly.

Thanks

-- Ed

Do you have an E sensor you recommend? I have seen several options, but want to know what's easiest and most reliable....obviously needed if you are running tunes based on a blend

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
Do you have an E sensor you recommend? I have seen several options, but want to know what's easiest and most reliable....obviously needed if you are running tunes based on a blend

Zeitronix is usually my go-to for Ethanol Gauges.

-- Ed

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie

I believe UM has a flex fuel sensor/kit, I would definitely go that route; in fact I probably will once the time comes..

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG

Thanks
-- Ed

What I think is most important about these graphs is that they are all on the same dyno and same car I assume (the shop R?), but comparing anything other than the area under the curve is not a fair comparison to other cars, turbos, tunes, and dynos as far as peak numbers.

For example, these graphs showing WHP, 380whp out of a IS38 on 91 octane is right at the top of the heap for output on that turbo, and those numbers are closer to cars running better fuel, W/M, secret sauce, etc. (e.g. RJRacing who trapped 126mph on a maxed IS38)

This should be common knowledge for anyone looking at dyno graphs, but peak numbers don't translate between dynos for a variety of reasons. What does translate are 1/4 mile/trap numbers, 60-130mph sprints, etc. Things that can be timed and compared based on DA.

So using any dyno sheets from the EQT dyno on their car, or other cars on the same dyno will give you a repeatable proof of performance, show improvements due to tuning or setup changes. From 380whp on an IS38 to 500whp is a 120 whp gain with their turbo, upgraded fueling and some ethanol, and that's great. However, comparing just peak numbers to competitors in completely different circumstances just isn't helpful.

Nikolay1

Thanks
-- Ed

This is strange, 380whp on 91 octane with is38, especially looks at graph by this link https://eqtuning.com/blogs/tunes/eqt-2016-golf-r-testing
where golf R with APR intake and APR Stage 1 91 Octane High Torque have 308whp (this is looks like real whp), or this graph was done in awd mode?

Please understand me right, I am not trying to demonstrate that you are wrong, I am just want to understand what real power can do this turbo, this is very interesting product.

Very interesting to see measurement from dragy with 500whp on E30 mix.