GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EQT E-Tuning Q&A

TURBOED1

Little unclear about part of your question but the only way to change the EQT DSG tune after the fact is with a different tune from EQT. If you mean can you switch to the Cobb DSG tune yes you can do that. By the way welcome to the forum.

Thanks! I've been a lurker for a long time :)

Based on your answer (which makes sense), then I guess my question is: Is auto kick-down part of the DSG tune? Same with TC and LC - are they hard coded parts of the ECU tune that can only be changed by flashing a new EQT ECU tune? As I type this, I am thinking that the answer is "yes."

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion

Based on your answer (which makes sense), then I guess my question is: Is auto kick-down part of the DSG tune? Same with TC and LC - are they hard coded parts of the ECU tune that can only be changed by flashing a new EQT ECU tune? As I type this, I am thinking that the answer is "yes."

The yes or no options are hard coded I believe but the traction control and launch control are adjustable.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Yes to all. Why wouldn't you want auto kickdown? If I'm in just Drive and want to accelerate I want the trans to kick down. If I'm racing I would switch to Sport mode with the shifter or Manual mode. But to just accelerate to pass or when I'm turning a corner I want the trans to kick down. The stock DSG tune will lug the motor when you turn a corner at regular speeds and to get the trans to kick down you have to give it so much gas it kicks down 2 gears and then you're accelerating faster then you wanted. Get a DSG tune and you'll understand.

TURBOED1

Yes to all. Why wouldn't you want auto kickdown? If I'm in just Drive and want to accelerate I want the trans to kick down. If I'm racing I would switch to Sport mode with the shifter or Manual mode. But to just accelerate to pass or when I'm turning a corner I want the trans to kick down. The stock DSG tune will lug the motor when you turn a corner at regular speeds and to get the trans to kick down you have to give it so much gas it kicks down 2 gears and then you're accelerating faster then you wanted. Get a DSG tune and you'll understand.

Ooooo-k... I believe the auto upshift/kick-down choice is for manual mode. AKA, it won't let you bounce off the rev limiter infinite times, and it won't let you go 5mpg in 5th gear.

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Yes the kickdown applies to manual mode and the second detent or whatever you want to call it that the gas pedal has. Auto upshift can have annoying when you're in manual mode trying to nail shift points and the TCU sends a shift signal at the same time you toggle , and you end up double up shifting and killing the run. Kinda defeats the purpose of manual mode and forces u to short shift to a certain extent.

Wastegate13

Autocross Champion
Anyone know if the base files for the R got updated?

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
Yes the kickdown applies to manual mode and the second detent or whatever you want to call it that the gas pedal has. Auto upshift can have annoying when you're in manual mode trying to nail shift points and the TCU sends a shift signal at the same time you toggle , and you end up double up shifting and killing the run. Kinda defeats the purpose of manual mode and forces u to short shift to a certain extent.

I would be that if you really didn't want the kickdown for some reason, that Ed could turn it off in sport mode but leave it on in drive mode or something. so you could 'switch' back and forth that way. i had him put the burble/crackle thing turned on only in sport mode as one example that didn't take him much time or me much $ to have him add.

cbass

Couple Loose Screws
Car(s)
milfs
I have a Q&A.
Question: Should I dyno on a dynocom?
Answer: Probably not.

Gptuners

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
If you are looking for Stage 1 power levels, is there any reason to do a custom tune?

For example, is there anything to be gained by tweaking things for muggy Kentucky summers?

Oh, and if you do go custom with the intention of running the same tune year round, should you do your logging in the summer or the winter?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
If you are looking for Stage 1 power levels, is there any reason to do a custom tune?

For example, is there anything to be gained by tweaking things for muggy Kentucky summers?

Oh, and if you do go custom with the intention of running the same tune year round, should you do your logging in the summer or the winter?

A custom tune would always be better but at Stage 1 level it wouldn't make enough of a difference to be smart cost wise. A custom tune would be smoother and more optimized but the gain wouldn't be worth the cost. It doesn't matter what the weather is when you tune the ECU is going to adjust for different weather conditions.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
I did a custom stg 1 with Ed before he had his OST made yet. Absolutely love it and don’t regret it in the slightest. I will agree that for stg1 you won’t get too much more over his OST maps.