GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC Warning

Namakan

If it was a coil wouldn't the EPC light stay on? Things I found looking it up suggested a throttle body or sensor problem.

All good questions which I asked after lots of research today. Their diagnosis is of course all they go by. My suggestions go unanswered.

Maybe I should have known better after my “Green Diesel” was not so green but they pulled me back in. Loved VW’s since my first 1980 Scirocco but Audi/BMW may be calling my name. Just disappointed there not many MT options in their model lineup.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
2 coils don't go at one time.
Unless there's a defective batch from the supplier; it's rare, but not unimaginable. BMW had a service bulletin on this very issue, common among cars with an inline-6 that were made when the E46 was state of the art. We'd get them in with multiple cylinders misfiring, replace all 6 coils, problem solved. I'm pretty sure they'd act up intermittently, as well.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Unless there's a defective batch from the supplier; it's rare, but not unimaginable. BMW had a service bulletin on this very issue, common among cars with an inline-6 that were made when the E46 was state of the art. We'd get them in with multiple cylinders misfiring, replace all 6 coils, problem solved. I'm pretty sure they'd act up intermittently, as well.

Would't the OP have constant misfires if the coils were bad and wouldn't the CEL stay on?

Namakan

About that...

I laughed myself after I hit the post on Audi. Honestly I’m trying to be rationale about this situation and I know 6 years / 72,000 goes a long way but I am discouraged with this car which was suppose to be a fun alternative to my pickup.

The last month or so I’ve felt the car did not have quite the same amount of output but I’m not fully in tune with this car yet being so new and only driven 1 or 2 days a week over the past winter months.

Namakan

Would't the OP have constant misfires if the coils were bad and wouldn't the CEL stay on?

I have never had a CEL light up and it did not come on during this event. Only the EPC light came on and after I shut it down and restarted a few minutes later there were no lights at all.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I have never had a CEL light up and it did not come on during this event. Only the EPC light came on and after I shut it down and restarted a few minutes later there were no lights at all.

Then substitute EPC for CEL. And that's another reason it shouldn't be a coil because a bad coil would cause misfires and set a CEL.

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
When I had my IS38 installed the stock coils couldn't provide enough spark in boost and caused something almost identical. It only threw an EPC and no CEL. I don't recall any codes either. Car ran fine unless you got into it. It was very odd to say the least!

I could believe two bad coils and it doesn't hurt to have them try while it's under warranty.

16GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I tried searching "EPC" and nothing came up? Anyhow I was lightly accelerating from a stop this morning in my 18' GTI 6MT with 6500 miles when the light came on and suddenly lost 50% or more power as it felt. Car was shuttering and hard to accelerate.

Pulled off to the side of the road and shut her down. Now I've perused through the owners manual since I purchased the car but did not recall what this light indicated. Looked it up, started car and the light did not return. Car seemed to run/idle somewhat normal but still shuttered during acceleration in all gears.

Has anyone else had this symptom and if so what was the verdict? Service writer of course has never heard of this before.

A bit frustrating for a 6 month old car.

I have been experiencing the exact same issue in my 2016 S, intermittently for the last few months, say one out of every 20+ starts. Turning the car off immediately and restarting clears the issue for that spell.

In my case, the EPC light, combined with shuddering and power loss, indicated random misfires of cylinders 1 and 3, per OBDeleven scan.

I first replaced the Denso plugs APR used to recommend to the NGK’s they now recommend. They were due to be replaced anyway.

Same sporadic symptoms reappeared, so I replaced the OEM coils with RS3 coils. I like them so far, they are smooth and lively.

After 40K miles running stage 2 tune, my shop and I wondered if that wasn’t causing those components to short, so I started there. They were easy swaps in the driveway.

Symptoms reoccurred this week, so I updated the tune to APR’s v1.2 today. I’ve been running the original tune since 2016, so updating was a good idea anyway.

We’ll see if that fixes it, or if compression or other checks are next. Although, if there were a compression leak, I would expect issue to be less sporadic, and not cured by simply restarting.

Your experience sounds similar to mine, respective to the code, shudder, and power loss, so I wouldn’t be surprised if your dealership’s scan indicated misfires at those two cylinders.

The scan can indicate misfires, timing retardation, etc, but doesn’t always indicate the cause, so they may use process of elimination until they confirm it solved. No harm letting them replace what they suggest, on their nickel.

Sucks you are having to deal with that only 6 months in. Hopefully they’ll resolve it quickly.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG

Coils can experience intermittent failure. When there's a single-cylinder misfire, technicians often swap coils to see if it follow the coil to a different cylinder to trace the source of the misfire. Intermittent issues such as this do not keep the CEL on until something's well and truly broken.

Namakan

Or a break in the head gasket between those 2 cylinders. Ask them to swap the coils from cylinders 1 and 2 with 3 and 4 or do a compression test.

Compression test came in a 180 on all four cylinders. Both coils were replaced and I'll pick it up later today.

zero10

Ready to race!
I had a bad ignition coil on my 17 Golf. First I got a blinking CEL at 26,000km (about 1 year in) and turning the car off/on again cleared the fault, dealer was unable to duplicate. No perceived performance loss or odd characteristics when the light was flashing. Then later at 32,400km I got an EPC light while coasting along at 50km/hr on a side street. I tried to accelerate but even in 2nd gear with moderate throttle I was losing speed and the engine could barely idle when I put the clutch in. I shut the car off and restarted it and it again behaved fine but this time the dealership diagnosed it as a bad coil on #2 and replaced it. I'm now at 43,000km and haven't had the problem come back.

My dealership said they get a few a week with bad coils and kept many on hand so I got the car back on the same day.

Any dealerships that say coils don't often fail on these things are ignorant or are outright lying.